Your reading abilites?

thewinterknight

Reaction score
I started this thread because I've heard that the normal deaf adult's reading abilites are equal to that of a 9th grade kid. My level was roughly equal to that of a senior in AP English when I was in 5th Grade, I'm a junior right now. Sorry if any of this sounds like bragging, I'm trying not to brag, I just want to know what your opinion on this.

Dunno..it really varies from individual to individual. I remember receiving high marks in reading/english and was told I had a 12th grade reading level whilst in middle school. It depends on where one was educated at and how high their motivation levels were in learning, smile. It could be other types of factors.

It depends on the educational program that the kids are in. In my school, the teachers were very flexible and passed everyone... no matter what. Some teachers don't challenge their deaf students as they challenge their hearing students. If a hearing student was given an assignment to answer 20 questions for math and that hearing student complains that it's too much... the teacher will say, "too bad... work harder." If it was a deaf student, they would pity him and give him less homework. So, what happens? You've got a deaf kid going twice slower than a hearing kid. Most schools start their academic programs in the 2nd grade or 3rd grade. That's about 10 grades total. If a deaf kid goes slow, then he will be in 4th or 5th grade math by the time he's a senior in high school. Yes, I've seen this happen while I was growing up. Yet, I wasn't part of that group. I grew up mainstream. In fact, I was with the majority of the hearing students and at the same level as everyone else.

Another reason would be the use of ASL and SEE.

Yea, I guess you're right. I have seen some bad stuff happens to deaf kids and they ended up slower than the normalacy.

I was reading 8th grade stuff in 6th grade and it was too easy. I was in AP English for 4 years. I started to read in preschool. My mom told me that lots of deaf people had a 4th grade English level. :eek2: Teachers and schools shouldn't teach deaf people as if they were dumb. :nono:

I was reading at college level when I was in high school.

Well......I think that it might have to do with a lot of things. A ninth grade reading level isn't *that* bad. It's MUCH better then the average fourth grade reading level that is bandied about. It might even be better then the reading level of an average citizen. I'll have to do some research and see what the typical reading level of an average citizen is.
Some teachers don't challenge their deaf students as they challenge their hearing students.
Tell me about it! It's like this attitude that kids with disabilties can't acheive, or that all kids who go to the resource room are dumbass slackers who should be grateful or acheive under minimal help/accomondations! A HUGE HUGE part of the reason why acheivement has not risen due to mainstream placement is b/c of the attitude of mainstream teachers. Yes, some kids do well, but a lot of those kids are kids who would acheive even if they attended an inner city school!
I think too, that one thing that is inhibiting dhh student's acheivement levels is inappropreate early intervention. A lot of kids may just get "general" EI as opposed to more specialized DHH specific EI. Like they may receive EI services from someone who is trained in teaching kids with developmental issues, who only know a handful of signs or just general dhh EI techniques.
Also, I wonder if the reading levels include the kids with multiple disabilites who may have learning disabilties or even mental retardation or even other kids who are hard to access?

VamPyroX said:
I was reading at college level when I was in high school.

My own reading level has always been high, except for the two years I attended a private Chrisitian school for 8th and 9th grade. Today, I read at the Masters Degree level and comprehend at the same.

I taught myself to read when I was three, and was reading at the tenth grade level when I was in third grade (when I was nine)

pek1 said:
My own reading level has always been high, except for the two years I attended a private Chrisitian school for 8th and 9th grade. Today, I read at the Masters Degree level and comprehend at the same.
Yep.

When I watched television with closed captioning, I always made an effort to read word-for-word. Sometimes, I would say the words in my head as I read along. I also pushed myself to type everywhere as if I was writing a research paper. The only time I don't use spelling seriously is when I'm doing AIM.

What about the typos on closed-captioning? This might be a baby question, but when I've seen captioning on live TV there tends to be a lot of goofups. I've had much better luck with subtitles on DVDs, though, but even those aren't word for word.

The main reason I use the subtitles is because sometimes if available, I'll switch a DVD's audio to Spanish...but the omitted words and phrases really make me wonder how much I might be missing.

I don't know what grade level my reading skill is at, but suffice to say I'm one of the most literate people I know. Reading is a non-issue for me.

The comment that hearing instructors should stop treating deaf students as slow or dumb is true, but it's really just a consequence of the fact that a lot if hearing people think that about deaf people anyway. The effect of a deaf child not being educated the same way is a result of audism and the instructors' own ignorance and biases.

deafdyke said:
I taught myself to read when I was three, and was reading at the tenth grade level when I was in third grade (when I was nine)

Pretty similar to me. I don't think reading abiility solely depends on a good education, or a good teacher. A child that wants to, will do better than others.

I know this topic is specifically geared to deaf people but did you know that directions on food cans, boxes, etc that we buy in grocery stores are written at something like the 6th grade level?

im hearing and i can hardly read. its a combination of dyslexia and ADHD

I can't read too well neither. :Oops: I have severe lazy eye and might have dyslexia. Hopefully, they won't prevent me from pursuing my dream of becoming a scientist.

I don't know about my reading skills but I guess I'll say that I'm at a level or higher where I'm suppose to be. I've never taken an IQ test before. I've take the graduation exam and passed all.

i read well i might be about first year college ability but not sure of that

cuz i love to read books so much

Honestly.. When I bring my homework at home and do my homework somehow my little brother spotted my math book.. and laughed at me.. He yelled MOM, guess what.. My sister is extactly as same my math book. My mom was furouis and unpleasant with my school..
English/Math: Grade 10 and Hearing's school grade 4 equal as Grade 10..
My eyes was wide open and shocked..

Deaf School Hearing School
Grade 10 Grade 4
Grade 11 Grade 5
Grade 12 Grade 6
Grade 13G Grade 7

Goes to Gally or RIT/NITD.. will giving you freshmen course giving you more higher written/reading level skills before goes to sophere(sp) That what My Adopt Mom told me about My school is poor teaching level with Student.. That how, My Adopt mom decide took me away from school and transfered to Mainstream school..

Which it's sad!
Fact yes.. truth..
Mostly Education Deaf School doesn't want you KNOW.. about this any kind of level course.

Back