Your personal feeling??

society's_child

Reaction score
Question for deafies (uh... is it okay to use that word? Let me know, don't wanna get banned). I'd like to know what it is for you to be approched by a hearing person who is just beginning to learn sign language. Are you enthusiastic that they take in interest in ASL or are you a pleased at first but think to yourself ("Oh boy, here come the slow signs. Just smile and pretend you're impressed".)? I ask this because I've introduced myself to deaf people and i've gotten my signs mixed up terribly:ugh3: . But they would smile at me. I'm not sure if they were sincere smiles or condescending smiles (hopefully, the latter) pretty much all i could sign properly is: "I'm a new ASL learner". I shouldn't let this worry me, but it does.

Oh I never mocked at hearings with their beginning of learning sign language, even if they don't know so much or even if they mixed up. It impressed me that they are interesting in wanting to learn. But, the only thing that ticks me off about some hearings when they only want to learn the bad words or sexual sign language without wanted to learn general signs. ;)

But the only thing that ticks me off about some hearings when they only want to learn the bad words or sexual sign language without wanted to learn general signs. ;)

Well, they're just idiots then, aren't they?:stupid:

I dont mind it when they come up to me.. I kinda laugh at them and make them wondering why Im laughing LOL.. well the majority of them I notice they trying to sign at the same time knocking LOL.. then I go into the battle mode and correct them LOL. HOLD THAT HAND STILL when doing the alphabet.. otherwise Im gonna look around see who knocking at the door LOL.. Most of them are curious to learn and hey im not perfect myself as I asked them how to speak a word heh heh.. make it sound perfect when I think it should sound this way.. Like the word EL POLLO LOCO.. most deaf say the L.. when the L is silent as a Y due to being a spanish word LOL

I'm agreed with Cherie on this one.

I've met one hearing person who said he'd want to know all the cuss words in a foreign language but I still think it's rude and disrespectful to only learn all the bad words in sign and nothing more as it suggests that the person has no interest in the Deaf Culture.

From experience, I think many of us are too critical.

Learning another language, experience has told me that usually, most people are going to try and help you not make fun of you.

Of course this excludes those that only want dirty words.

People learning english, I don't make fun of. Speaking fluent spanish, I don't know everything so I still make mistakes. They don't make fun of me.
Learning ASL, the Deaf don't make fun of me. Now, some of the kids laugh at me and tell (sign) that I'm funny...but sometimes it's because I'm still learning and ASL is more direct. They are also not used to hearies that can properly use inflections

I'm a hearie. I'm learning SEE and ASL. I have had no problems so far. I've been accepted and the interactions are all great!

I'm always thriller when I see some hearing folks start learning sign language knowing that they're interesting learning and wants to communicate along with us but I've told a few not try to learn ASL straight out of a sign lanugage book otherwise they will get some signs wrong and develop habits that will make it diffcult for some deaf folks who won't be able to understand and maybe one day you'll find that you love the sign language and Deaf Culture enough to become an interpreter like Reba :fingersx:

I'm always thriller when I see some hearing folks start learning sign language knowing that they're interesting learning and wants to communicate along with us but I've told a few not try to learn ASL straight out of a sign lanugage book otherwise they will get some signs wrong and develop habits that will make it diffcult for some deaf folks who won't be able to understand and maybe one day you'll find that you love the sign language and Deaf Culture enough to become an interpreter like Reba :fingersx:

Angel, you're right. (as if you needed me to tell you that)

I use several sources. Not only do I substitute in the schools for Deaf teachers, I sub for the RSD aides as well. I study ASL from a book, I go to classes once a week, I practice with the Deaf people and I have a CD that I use also.

Sometimes I use a sign that they say is technically correct, but they don't use.
One example, I prefer "rest room" initialized with R, rather than "toilet" initiallized with T. In our area, I was getting used to the T version, then suddenly a child asked to go to the restroom using the RR initialization. At first it threw me, she thought it was funny.
I try to follow the local Deafies.

It's sort of like speaking spanish to the people here. It's not about right or wrong, it's about how they speak. I want to communicate.

Yeah I know what you mean and I agree Eliotj, there may be some deaf people that may sign differently than I would, I think its depends on where they're from, some new yorkers signs are different than here in Ohio, but it's so cool learning so many different signs even I may sign it differently, but I love to learn something new everyday cause it makes it more interesting...And I'm very impressed that you used several sources to help you develop your sign language skills, as being a substitute in the school for the Deaf and hanging around with some deaf folks, I think that's great and I hope to see more people like you, cause it makes us feel good inside knowing that they really do want to communicate and enjoy learning more signs :)

btw it was cute hearing about the young child, made me chuckles ..

hehe...it's hard enough, I would rather not learn signs from outside my area :)

I absolutely LOVE working with the Deaf kids. They really are a joy.
It's also sad though, how they are in such isolated worlds.
Much of the hearing world treats them as if they simply don't exist.

hehe...it's hard enough, I would rather not learn signs from outside my area :)

I absolutely LOVE working with the Deaf kids. They really are a joy.
It's also sad though, how they are in such isolated worlds.
Much of the hearing world treats them as if they simply don't exist.
Yeah, those regionalisms can be "interesting". :P As a terp, I try to be familiar with as many regionalisms as possible. Many of our consumers are "transplants" from other parts of the country or different ethnic cultures, so we need to be able to understand the variations, as much as possible.

In a "mainstream" educational situation, it's probably best for everyone to be on the same wavelength for sign vocabulary.

In general, in this area, the "R-R" sign is used more in public, formal situations, such as at a restaurant, at church, at a business conference, etc. The "T" sign is used at home, with small children, or in casual settings with family and friends. Hearing people often do the same thing. At a nice restaurant we might ask for the restroom, but at a picnic in a park we might ask for the bathroom (different settings). During a reception at the boss' house we might ask the hostess for the powder room, but when our nephews visit our house they ask to use the potty (different relationships).

very true.
I learned early on, that EVERY language has its casual versions and its more formal versions.
As a teacher, I prefer the more formal versions of most signs. There are many exceptions but RR isn't one. I still prefer RR instead of T

Back