Your Opinion about Signing Songs?

I will be flatter if they signs in a Christmas song! I could less care if they are not pretty or somewhat not good at the signing, I still will enjoy watching them a song. :D Oh, maybe I can help them? Who knows?

I love to watch a song being signed if the person who is doing the signing doesnt matter deaf or hearing if they can interpret the song correctly I say more power to them because its an awesome thing to witness

Ran across this thread, and Bottesini's reply to it.

I believe the first step in understanding anything is looking at definitions and points of view.

From the POV of the teacher and student translating songs into ASL provides an easy way for the teacher to gauge the progress of the student and it provides a really fun way for the student to learn.

Sharon Newman Solow may be responsible for the whole trend with her NBC series "Say it With Sign". She and or her hubby did one every episode.

That is what I meant by "boring." It is a nuisance to have to praise everyone who wants to show off a partial skill at anything.

I agree. Unctuous is not my style. Put downs leave me cold. I just say "You have learned a lot, but you have a long way to go. Keep up the good work but leave this in the classroom for a while yet."

Interpreting students doing videos of songs for class assignments leave me rolling my eyes. (even though I disapprove of eye rolling)

I have a boss I call the Queen of the Continuous Eye Roll and another I call the Master of the Everlasting Smirk.

These videos should be kept private so the student can see how much they have progressed a year or so from now. They might also be shown to future students so the new students can see that people who are now skilled were once no better than they.

My thought is that ASL is for communication.

That is a very narrow definition both of the fluidity of ASL and of communication in general. I think you should see Clayton Valli's ASL poetry. It is beautiful and extremely difficult concept to get across to hearing people who don't understand how it can be "poetry".

I am really urging you here to expand your definition.

If hearing people want to do "beautiful movement" let them take up interpretive dance.:2c:

I don't think that is why hearing people do it. When done well it helps hearing people understand there is more to ASL than just a few simple gestures. It helps teach them the beauty and fluidity of this truly amazing language.

The reason the above responses are so varied is because of the different levels/knowledge of sign skills here. Being artistic/dramatic/creative with signing songs using ASL in it's highest form is something to behold and very few, deaf or hearing "have it".

Keith Wann is a complete nut -- Don't think he does anything but comedy. Youtube has his stuff all over the place. I swear his face is made of rubber.

It is everything you should not do when signing a song.

I posted a link, don't know how to post the video itself as I've seen done -- But it is a spoof on how beginners sign songs: butt is signed "but" (different) and "shake it" (meaning to shake her butt) is signed as though shaking a jar.

Here is Trix Bruce signing "My Love Will Go On".

She makes me wish my signing skills were as good as my English skills.

Here she does a hyperactive "Love Can Move Mountains".

What about people in the audience? For example, I attend church, but I won't dare try singing. I am NOT fluent in ASL, nor I would not want to offend anyone by making syntax mistakes (though I have not met anyone in the congregation who had any knowledge in ASL), so thus I'm left with no means of expressing joy or gratitude other than mouthing words that make me feel like an imposter.

Back on the topic, I had a friend from an beginning ASL class who tried to sign a service for me. Though I appreciated his efforts, I did not have the heart to tell him I remained just as clueless as when I was trying to understand through listening.

Singing in Sign is a requirement in the ASL college levels I attended.
We were required to translate several songs from English into ASL during the 4-5-6th levels. An exercise in proper translation, grammar, and syntax. We were required to perform two songs at the end of that class series for finals. It was hard work but I grew as a person and in my ASL confidence.

Am I perfect at it? Nope, but then neither are the Ddeaf/Ddeaf-blind I SSP for and I can always count on my Ddeaf/Ddeaf-blind friends and aquaintences correcting me if I am wrong or doing something mostly right.

I do not know what everyone feels. I have seen beautiful performances and performances that were a mess.
I think it boils down to skill and attention/desire to do it right.

Thank you ASLGAL for your complete honesty.

I believe in open communication and any form of communication is best than none. :hug:

sure why not!

some people sing really badly while others sing really well.

same goes for ASL version of music- some good, some bad.

good ones, we watch over and over again. bad ones, we 'x' it and forget about it.

:dance::dance::dance:

I don't enjoy watching people who have no idea how to sign attempt to interpret a song... Also, I get really tired of watching it when they are using SEE or overusing PSE rather than PSE with ASL or ASL alone. However, I applaud their attempts because ASL is a beautiful language... and wish them the best of luck in continuing their study/practice to better thier skills...

I enjoy interpreting songs, but I listen to it over and over until I figure out the right signs to demonstrate the flow/rhythm and make it understandable for other deafies. I would want to interpret it for others as I would want it interpreted for myself...

However, I have taught interpretative dance with small bits of sign language at church for youth group... I would rather see those with very little understanding of sign use interpretative dance with a bit of sign language to clarify...

Singing in ASL requires a lot of classifiers. Sometimes, it give people the wrong impression that it may be SEE or PSE when it's not.

Just had to point that one out since somebody mentioned "made-up" signs.

:)

My ASL teacher for one of my ASL 1 classes (back in 1990's) interprets professionally at rock concerts. He is a certified interpreter. Love songs in ASL! :)

I don't see anything wrong with it. Depnding on a hearing interupter that knows signs or not. When they use ASL signs, I noticed they were not following the songs. It is ok, it is still beautiful though.

I remember back in the 80's, we visit a school where a deaf group went and sang to many songs with SEE signs. It was beautiful too. They did a good job with emotion, even signs. My mother was hearing and she loved it.

Even as a hearie I don't see a reason why songs shoulnd't be signed more often!! :D

I watch belgian TV (especially news) very often and they use sign and that at 8pm when everybody is watching the news!!!! I don't understand a word (I'm speaking of the signs of course <giggle>) but I never had any troubles with it!

Why shouldn't songs be interpreted as well???

Just my two euro cents in this regard!

Jamie :D

I do notice that when it's signed in ASL, it no longer has the poetry as it once had before. Poetry isn't the same when translated in a different language.

It's like seeing songs translated into English in anime. They don't always make sense because they no longer rhyme or don't match the beat of the music.

When I was at Gallaudet a thousand years ago, lol, I spent many hours next to the Student Lounge juke box signing the popular songs of the day for friends, acquaintances, and passersby who were interested.

Same here! I did the same thing at Gally when I was there and it was a blast! That was a long time ago, though.

Back