Your First Deaf Figure in Education

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
Do you remember who was the first deaf teacher/aide/faculty at your school? A deaf adult... role model, mentor, whatever their position is.

MY first exposure as a child to witness a Deaf adult in SCHOOLS and have a job (i never thought that there were more deaf out there... I grew up with same deaf classmates and i never saw deaf adults) was a teacher from CSDR-- he came to my school to teach for a while. He is a well-known teacher in Southern California for the Deaf.

Recently I found out that he is teaching at a community college where my husband works at. I was surprised-- not at the fact that it is a small world after all but that I haven't seen him for years and now he is in the town?? (He taught most of time at CSDR) I met him last Saturday and he remembered me very well-- and spelled my name right! My husband was impressed that I knew the professor personally when I was younger. ;-) My husband really idolizes him and aims to be like him-- as an ASL professor.

That guy was my first Deaf role model... He really made an impact on me. He would tell us about Galludaet (we were second-graders) and that we can do anything we want to be in our futures. And I have decided on that spot that I WILL go to college... I even doodled on my school binder saying, "I LOVE COLLEGE" (I did mispell "collage" although...) :lol: and now look at where I am today. only 18 years old, will be a junior next semester. :)

What about you??? Tell us about your Deaf role model

Last edited:
Inspirational

Wow! That's a really inspirational story! Good luck on your future endeavors.

When I became late deafened and transferred to a deaf school, all the teachers were hearing...only 1-2 were deaf....

My English teacher, Mrs. Chapman, took me "under her wing"!...I knew no sign language, she taught me lip reading. I truely loved that "old lady"! She's deceased now, she was old when she taught me English and walked with a cane. God Bless her!

My first ever Deaf role model was a Deaf teacher at the Deaf program at a public school when I worked as a teacher aide in AZ. As a child, I had no deaf/Deaf role models due to being mainstreamed orally.

I had no deaf role models while in school since there were none at all. I was mainstreamed and did not go to college. I didn't know of any deaf people until after I got married.

I had no deaf role models while in school since there were none at all. I was mainstreamed and did not go to college. I didn't know of any deaf people until after I got married.

Same here! No deaf role models at school or university.

Back