your experiences with interpreters

standing up for someone 2

Etoile said:
I can understand wanting to stick up for someone, especially someone you love. In my experience a more rewarding way to do that is by talking to them in real life instead rather than interacting with the people who have upset him or her. In real life you can call people all kinds of names without hurting anybody's feelings! :D

But really, nobody needs to be insulted. Not you, not me, not your fiancé. Not interpreters - individually or collectively - either. I hope you can understand why I feel the need to defend something so important to me - something I love. It is not so unlike your defense, really. We are each defending something we love.

Thanks for understanding!! I appreciate it very much that you understood. :type: :aw:

Well, I have to have stick by gnulinuxman all the way. As of I have already written about how we d/Deaf people feels and see real things in Deaf community and outside of the Deaf Community. This is how I observed it and cant walk away from his topic. So here is the url that might help you to see the whole views from what d/Deaf people and I experienced from years and years. That has not changed much with their own negative / coward audist attitudes.

Well, truth hurts. Also Life is too short to ignore our d/Deaf needs / our rights.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?p=485828#post485828

That's all I can say.

Have a Happy Reading!! ;)

ASL and Signed English as BI BI language
:ty: and Thank you!
Sweetmind

the end of war

Sweetmind said:
Well, I have to have stick by gnulinuxman all the way. As of I have already written about how we d/Deaf people feels and see real things in Deaf community and outside of the Deaf Community. This is how I observed it and cant walk away from his topic. So here is the url that might help you to see the whole views from what d/Deaf people and I experienced from years and years. That has not changed much with their own negative / coward audist attitudes.

Well, truth hurts. Also Life is too short to ignore our d/Deaf needs / our rights.

That's all I can say.

Sweetmind

:gpost: That was great posting Sweetmind, I really do agree. :applause: As much we can see the fight of war here I am totally glad to see someone helping me stick up for my fiance (gnulinuxman )at all costs. Lets be good friends and Sweetmind you can email me at: dreamtiger4life@gmail.com ;)

Deaflinuxgeek (gnulinuxman's fiancee) :angel: :type:

Sweetmind said:

That's all I can say.

Sweetmind

:ty: I try...but I get problems from hearing people who give me **** on what I try to do. :( I am sick of it.

I've read your link. Nice post!

ok my experience, is something i wish you to listen to.

I am in my last yr of high school, today we had a leadership program in last 2 classes, they allowed another deaf kid in my year level to go to deaf facility for support and help... however, i am deaf myself and they refused to let me go in, as im only 40% deaf they expected me to be in the leadership program, without having support or interpreter. I had to sit n listen to a man talk for 2 hours, missing bout 60% of what he said. This is shocking, i am making a complaint to my school principal (headmaster) and I will give him a week to do something about why I am not getting support enough.. last yr of high school is important.. so if nothing happens in a week, i quit my deaf facility.

I try...but I get problems from hearing people who give me **** on what I try to do. I am sick of it.

dude...YOU are not deaf, and the man(hearing people) are not keeping you down.

the fact you feel the need to advertise yourself as the savior of deaf people is what is causing you this backlash.

your lucky this is a pretty tame board...i know several deaf people who if they read the shit you spew, would have you crying in a corner out of humilation.

your hearing, start acting like it

Focus: I have a specific question for 'terps.

I primarily use CART, although I'm learning CS and hoping to start ASL soon. My CART vendors have been able to cover classes (to a degree) where they don't know the material (higher level math and physics, EECS, etc). In ASL, I would imagine this is impossible, since you're translating to a whole different language. Does using SEE make it possible to cover such a class, since you're doing more "direct" transliteration?

And how often do you find yourself working alongside a CS or a CART provider, either in tandem for one client, or because there are multiple clients with different communication preferences?

Sadly I have never found myself working with a Cued Language Transliterator (CLT) because it is not very popular in this area. I have taken Cued Speech classes myself and I have chatted with a CLT about his job but I don't know much about it...I would really love to add that skill to my abilities! (I currently Cue very...VERY...slowly!)

As for the rest of your question...I definitely switch into PSE (not straight SEE) when I don't understand the material. If it's really difficult, then my brain is working hard enough just to figure out what is being said, and it is much harder to produce true ASL from that. If a client really needs to have ASL on a topic that I don't understand, then I usually recommend a different interpreter be brought in. Fingerspelling, however, is a "crutch" if there are just a lot of unfamiliar words, but the basic concepts are understandable. If I can understand most of what is going on but I don't know the signs for some of the words, then I use spelling to fill in the gaps.

chajukin said:
as im only 40% deaf they expected me to be in the leadership program, without having support or interpreter.

That is shocking. Organizations like the Deaflympics may require an audiogram in order to join, but services like yours do NOT. Awesome that you went and complained. I hope others will too, and I hope the situation improves.

ismi said:
Does using SEE make it possible to cover such a class, since you're doing more "direct" transliteration?...And how often do you find yourself working alongside a CS or a CART provider, either in tandem for one client, or because there are multiple clients with different communication preferences?

First question: The only class I ever use SEE in is ESL, and then only if I know the client knows it. If I'm in a higher level class where the material is over my head, like Etoile said, my "fallback" is to use signed English and fingerspelling. However, first I will go to my supervisor and let her know that the class is too difficult for me. The couple of times I have done this, it has turned out that the student is extremely proficient in signed English as well as ASL, and I also ask the student if he or she is understanding my interpreting, and it has worked out fine. If it wasn't the case, I would ask to be reassigned. Sometimes when I'm doing emergency subbing, though, there isn't much I can do (like getting thrown into advanced chemistry for a day...thank god the student was hard of hearing and didn't rely on us interpreters for much!).

Second question: all the time, in both situations you describe. I used to do Typewell transcribing myself and sometimes there would be a sign language interpreter as well, and sometimes there wouldn't. It can get crowded but otherwise I've never run into any problems with it.

Interpretrator said:
That is shocking.
Agreed!

First question: The only class I ever use SEE in is ESL, and then only if I know the client knows it.
I've not yet interpreted an ESL class but I have used SEE for English reading and writing classes. Even then, I don't use it for the entire class period, just when there is actual instruction about English language use. That is, I don't use SEE when the instructor is going over the semester syllabus, classroom "housekeeping" procedures, discussion sessions, etc.

If I'm in a higher level class where the material is over my head, like Etoile said, my "fallback" is to use signed English and fingerspelling.
Sometimes it is not even "higher level" material but material that includes such specialized jargon or proper names or titles that spelling is necessary. If they are terms that will be used continually thru the course, then the student and I can establish abbreviations, temporary "in-house" signs, etc.

However, first I will go to my supervisor and let her know that the class is too difficult for me. The couple of times I have done this, it has turned out that the student is extremely proficient in signed English as well as ASL, and I also ask the student if he or she is understanding my interpreting, and it has worked out fine. If it wasn't the case, I would ask to be reassigned.
Same here.

Sometimes when I'm doing emergency subbing, though, there isn't much I can do...
Aack! Yes! Especially when the students assume that you know all the same technical signs that they have been using with the regular terp. Or, going to a Federal agency meeting where every other word is an acronym that you are trying to figure out.

Years ago, before I became a terp, I was on active duty with a Navy command whose acronym was CNET (pronounced "sea net"). If a terp had to spell that one for the first time, by ear, and knowing that it had a "nautical" connection, it's possible they would fingerspell it SEANET. Another command was AFRTS (lovingly pronounced "a farts").

Oh, yes, one could have lots of fun with fingerspelling! :D

I often run into the problem that even though I spell a word or name, the Deaf client will ask "what's that mean" or "who's that" or "I never heard of that (event or place)." Fingerspelling is not an automatic solution.

I've never worked with CART. I don't know why it hasn't taken off here. There are some students in classroom situations that I have experienced that probably would have benefited from using CART but it hasn't been an offered option.

Etoile said:
Sadly I have never found myself working with a Cued Language Transliterator (CLT) because it is not very popular in this area. ...
Same here. There is only one school in the Upstate that uses it (as far as I know). Our training included only one workshop in cued speech.

Oh yes - even in my business setting I occasionally use SEE. Part of my role includes occasional help with written English for consumers that have asked for it, and I use SEE in that situation. It's only when I'm giving a sentence as it should be written, adding in things like ING endings, IT/IS/AM, etc.

Back