you have experience of COPD?

sara1981

Reaction score
mostly people who been still smoking for longtimes dues COPD you know what words as COPD?

im learn that words from my boyfriend because his dad and his aunt also had COPD because both been smoking lots but dont smoking anymores.

if you had surgery of lung? but i had lung surgery when i was 12 years old dues birth defects in 1993.

What Is COPD?
What Is COPD?

My Mother was diagnosed with COPD three years ago. She has lost 30% of her lung function. She smoked for about 25 yrs, but has been smoke free since I was 13. Even though she quit, the damage was already done and she now has a limited lifespan due to her history of smoking.

My Mother was diagnosed with COPD three years ago. She has lost 30% of her lung function. She smoked for about 25 yrs, but has been smoke free since I was 13. Even though she quit, the damage was already done and she now has a limited lifespan due to her history of smoking.

oh really

I have been diagnosed with COPD. COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It is a lung disease that is either from Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, or Asthma. My underlying diagnosis was Asthma. I have moderate COPD which would probably put me in Stage 2 or 3. There are 4 stages. Stage 1 is mild, which means it is in the early stages of the disease. Stage 2 is mild/moderate. Stage 3 is moderate/severe. Stage 4 is end of life. There is no cure for COPD which means it is a terminal disease. Terminal means that those of us diagnosed with it, will eventually die from it.

Some people have been known to live 20+ years with this disease. Others are not so lucky. I was diagnosed in 2012/2013. So I have been living with COPD for 3-4 years since diagnosis. But in reality, I have been living with it far longer than this.

The warning signs of having COPD is shortness of breath, chronic coughing, feelings of tightness in chest, and a few other signs which I cannot remember off the top of my head. If you have smoked and have any of these signs, please go get tested today. You can get COPD without having smoked a day in your life as well. My mother never smoked and had COPD from fluid buildup inside her body.

COPD is hereditary. So if one of your family members has it and you smoke, quit today.

I smoked for 32 years and I quit by using Chantix the month before I was diagnosed. I have been smoke free since 2012. December 4th of this year will be my 4th year anniversary of being smoke free.

There are support groups online for those of us diagnosed with this disease. However, having one here would be awesome because I am sure there are plenty of deaf people struggling to breathe daily that could use support for not only COPD but for other things as well.

With smokers the part of COPD that is the problem is primarily Emphysema. If you throw in asthma into the mix the person has to really struggle to breath. The years of smoking damages their lung tissue to the point it basically looses it's elasticity and gets over saturated in Oxygen and can't get enough Oxygen out of the air sacs and the person feels breathless. Most are caused by smoking but some people can inherit it. My Sister in Law who was a heavy smoker for years was diagnosed with it at age 45, my Father in Law was diagnosed in his 70's and my Mother in Law died from lung cancer at 58, after over 45 years of smoking. If you smoke, quit, dying from lung cancer or Emphysema is not a good way to go.

Yes, I have COPD...asthma and emphysema is prevalent in my family also. Brother born with asthma (or I was told)...Father, grandfather had emphysema and COPD, chronic. ...I use a neubulizer whenever needed and have an inhaler also for shortness of breath...all my family were heavy smokers. Let me just say...don't ever start smoking cigarettes...Nicotine is highly addictive. whoever knew?...coming from the Tobacco State of NC?...Everybody smoked...it was "cool"...

My MIL was a life-long smoker until she had to go on oxygen 24/7. She had COPD and died last year.

I am currently on Advair 500/50, Ventolin for a rescue inhaler, and a nebulizer if nothing else works. COPD becomes a daily part of your life in just trying to breathe. I've had friends die of this disease. I was on Dulera for it at one point. What meds do you take for the management of symptoms.

My grandfather passed away from COPD 5 years ago. The latter stages of it can be really difficult. He was permanently on oxygen. He had a few episodes of pulmonary acidosis which they revived him from with CPR before he finally succumbed to it. My grandmother was the worst about it. She is not medical. Actually I'm the only person in my family who works in medicine. She used to argue with his doctor all the time asking why they couldn't just increase his oxygen. She didn't, and still doesn't, understand how COPD worked.

Back