Writing a Book

isabeltarte

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Isabel. I am hearing. I'm trying to write a book about a girl who is deaf. I would love input from others about their experience being deaf, how it affected them, their family, their friends, education, etc. I just want to bring more awareness to the deaf/HoH community. If anyone has anything they can share to help, I would extremely thankful!

That’s a huge question. I suggest you actually meet with a few Deaf or HoH people to have longer discussions. You should also read a lot about for example Deaf history, since that will really provide important pieces to understanding.

Hearing loss and the effects of hearing loss are often really hard for hearing persons to understand, and often not really what people assume.

There is large difference in experience depending on if you are born deaf or if you get hearing loss later in life. There is a large difference depending on if you were allowed to learn sign language and had support, or if you were forced into a hearing context without sufficient support. A serious problem if that hearing don’t understand how much you miss even when using hearing aids or CI. People often overestimate how much HoH hear, since it actually appears as if things are working ok.

Just as a brief introduction see BSL zone

I seem to have problems posting a link. Look for “My song” at BSL zone. That’s a film that really shows much of what the experience can be like.

Hi, my name is Isabel. I am hearing. I'm trying to write a book about a girl who is deaf. I would love input from others about their experience being deaf, how it affected them, their family, their friends, education, etc. I just want to bring more awareness to the deaf/HoH community. If anyone has anything they can share to help, I would extremely thankful!
If you're still writing your book, I'd love to help give insight!

Back