Writer Wanting to Accurately Depict Deafness and those who are Hard of Hearing

CarlyCat

Reaction score
I'm trying to write a book where the narrator is deaf and a witch. Now, I know magic as I will depict it doesn't exist but being deaf does and I want to represent those in the community accurately. Share your stories or answer my questions, I just want to do justice to those who can't hear or are hard of hearing.

What was school like for you? Did you go to a school for deaf students or a regular public or private school? If you did, how accommodating were they?

Would you rather see a character with or without a hearing aid?

What would you like to see in a deaf character?

How can I write a deaf character that does justice to your community that represents the story many people who are deaf share?

Thank you so much for just reading, and I would love if you can answer.

Spend time reading around this forum and your questions will all be answered. As to your last question- you cannot.. Not possible to write something that represents the story many people who are deaf share. Each of us is unique. Focus on creating an interesting character and weave in detail you learn from reading the forum because, in the end, you want deafness or any 'disability' to be unremarkable except for adding "color".

Take this movie, for example. 3 Eastern European guys in wheelchairs but the main character, who is a hitman... he just uses his chair as a prop for his very odd personality and profession.

Spend time reading around this forum and your questions will all be answered. As to your last question- you cannot.. Not possible to write something that represents the story many people who are deaf share. Each of us is unique. Focus on creating an interesting character and weave in detail you learn from reading the forum because, in the end, you want deafness or any 'disability' to be unremarkable except for adding "color".

Take this movie, for example. 3 Eastern European guys in wheelchairs but the main character, who is a hitman... he just uses his chair as a prop for his very odd personality and profession.
That movie sure looks interesting. And thank you, I have been browsing the forum and I realized how rudely my last question must come off. My charcter's main trait is she's magic, not her deafness. Thank you for the advice!

. . .
Wow, that movie is a real find! :lol:

If I wrote only based off what I knew, how boring a book would that be? The answer is very.
I'm white with a privileged education. I once wrote a novel about a family whose mother escaped slavery. It is a good novel. Imagination extrapolates quite a lot from our own experience of being human. Write on!

Don't mention.
So...what have you written lately?
Sorry if it's too personal a question.
It's not personal at all. Mostly I just work on short stories and occasionally my various big writing projects like books. Just finished a story about a genetic facility that experiments on people with powers and the revolt that happens there.

Your story sounds interesting. How is it going?

I've written a book with Deafblind, and blind characters in it. It's called 'trials of an honorary dragon"

Back