Wrist pain

Songbird2319

Reaction score
Hey, y'all. Been learning sign language for about a month now and my wrists really hurt. I've loosened up and practiced less, but they still hurt. Any thoughts on how to make this better?

Wrist brace?...could be carpal tunnel...if the pain continues, I'd see a doctor.

I don't know if signing can or give you wrist problems..i known of people with two broken wrist still signing as rr says try brace

It could be repetitive motion injury (sometimes called carpal tunnel injury). It might be from too much signing or signing incorrectly. It also might be a cumulative result of signing, texting and some other repetitive motion that you do at work.

Try to make note of when exactly the pain starts, where it's located, and how long it lasts. If it continues, you might need to make a doctor's appointment.

Some people (usually older) require surgery but you probably just need to make some changes in how you do things. That might require occupational therapy.

You can try warming up exercises for your hands and arms before signing. Also, make sure that you are relaxing when you sign--don't tense up. Make sure you are forming your handshapes correctly. You'd be surprised how many people contort their fingers and hands unnecessarily trying to make an incorrect "E," or face their signs in the wrong direction.

One weird pain I used to experience when interpreting for college classes was the nerve in the palm of my non-dominant hand that would shoot up my arm. It happened because I was using more than normal instances of signs that pressed on that palm nerve, such as OWE, DEBT, SHOW, EMPHASIZE, IMPRESS, REQUIRE, MEDICINE. It became so sensitive I could barely touch it. I had to modify how I did those signs.

As you become more fluent in signing, you'll be able to develop economy of movement. That is, when you sign, as you transition from one sign to the next, or fingerspelling one letter to the next, you will flow more smoothly. That means, you don't actually make as many movements, or you make abbreviated ones.

I had my trapize bone removed my hand much better for it.....Hand doc said so many people coming hospital with hand problems all due to small phones and txing.
I asked doc this very question he said signing should cause no problems with hands unless you already got them I must say ASL alphabet not easy on fingers

Do you use desktop computer , if so make the desk is the right height for you . You don't want your keyboard too high up that is put a strain on your wrists.

It could be repetitive motion injury (sometimes called carpal tunnel injury). It might be from too much signing or signing incorrectly. It also might be a cumulative result of signing, texting and some other repetitive motion that you do at work.

Try to make note of when exactly the pain starts, where it's located, and how long it lasts. If it continues, you might need to make a doctor's appointment.

Some people (usually older) require surgery but you probably just need to make some changes in how you do things. That might require occupational therapy.

You can try warming up exercises for your hands and arms before signing. Also, make sure that you are relaxing when you sign--don't tense up. Make sure you are forming your handshapes correctly. You'd be surprised how many people contort their fingers and hands unnecessarily trying to make an incorrect "E," or face their signs in the wrong direction.

One weird pain I used to experience when interpreting for college classes was the nerve in the palm of my non-dominant hand that would shoot up my arm. It happened because I was using more than normal instances of signs that pressed on that palm nerve, such as OWE, DEBT, SHOW, EMPHASIZE, IMPRESS, REQUIRE, MEDICINE. It became so sensitive I could barely touch it. I had to modify how I did those signs.

As you become more fluent in signing, you'll be able to develop economy of movement. That is, when you sign, as you transition from one sign to the next, or fingerspelling one letter to the next, you will flow more smoothly. That means, you don't actually make as many movements, or you make abbreviated ones.

Yeah, anything that turns my hand like thisImageUploadedByAllDeaf1433382350.913664.jpg hurts. At first my e was super tight, but I've kinda loosened up. Apparently I just need to live at a doctor's office:laugh:

I also sign left handed, as that feels more natural, but wright right handed because I was forced. So some of it is probably because I'm not used to moving that hand as much. I'll get a keyboard thing and wrist braces

I had my trapize bone removed my hand much better for it.....Hand doc said so many people coming hospital with hand problems all due to small phones and txing.
I asked doc this very question he said signing should cause no problems with hands unless you already got them I must say ASL alphabet not easy on fingers

Absolutely not easy, though I've gotten pretty fast, all things considered

I don't know if signing can or give you wrist problems..i known of people with two broken wrist still signing as rr says try brace

Probably just sore. They're doing things they're not used to, and my ligaments are loose so... I'll just use braces or arthritis gloves. Should be fine. Just checking to see if normal. I'm terrified of messing everything up, as I probably need ASL later.

Back