Would Like Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a good rant!

As I said above, I'm new here and I'm not here to criticize or condemn anyone for what they wish to think or do. I find people insights very interesting, especially when they veer from my own.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a segment of The Deaf community doesn't recognize that, yes, your ears are broken? As Michael said above, that doesn't imply that someone is broken as a person. And this seems unique to the Deaf. One doesn't generally hear the blind suggesting that their eyes are just fine. I was hearing for many many years. Now I don't...because my ears don't work. That's a fact. If an individual is fine with not hearing and sees no need to, then that's great. I just don't understand the denial that there's actually something broken.

I love a good rant!

As I said above, I'm new here and I'm not here to criticize or condemn anyone for what they wish to think or do. I find people insights very interesting, especially when they veer from my own.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a segment of The Deaf community doesn't recognize that, yes, your ears are broken? As Michael said above, that doesn't imply that someone is broken as a person. And this seems unique to the Deaf. One doesn't generally hear the blind suggesting that their eyes are just fine. I was hearing for many many years. Now I don't...because my ears don't work. That's a fact. If an individual is fine with not hearing and sees no need to, then that's great. I just don't understand the denial that there's actually something broken.
Broken? How?

Naturally the late deafened want to hear again, it was how we grew up. Those who were born deaf don't know sound and therefore don't miss it. Why can't "hearies" get that?

Would you want to "fix" someone who was born with part of an arm missing? Do you think they can't "live" because they're missing a limb? Sure, some things would be easier with a mechanical arm/hand, but it's not natural to them. Being w/o the arm is natural to them. And yes, I know someone who was born with part of his arm missing. As far as I know, he does not have a prosthetic, but maybe some day he will. His parents don't consider him to be broken.

No, my ears not are broken, its fine the way it is. This is the misconception people think... "Oh, it's broken, therefore it needs to be fixed.!?" If we can't be happy the way our Creator made us, then why bother... right? The tech we have now is changing our ways of thinking and as a human being. We live in a society of wanting to change our bodies with technology and it's changing us in a way we don't even recognize ourselves before its too late.

No RESPECT to the very Creator who made us the way we are supposed to be.
It's surprising to me when someone who is deaf cannot acknowledge there is something wrong with their ears. I can't understand it, I'm sorry. As for our Creator, you lose me a bit on that argument because I can google image search for "severe birth defects" and have a whole lot of trouble saying "Nah, nothing is wrong with them at all. Our Creator intended it to be that way. They aren't broken."

Anyway, I guess my point is that saying "there is nothing wrong with my ears" is definitely not going to generate the message you intend when speaking to someone not a part of Deaf culture.

-Mike

Broken? How?
To be clear, we're talking about the ear, not the person. And the ear is a very complex part of the body with an entire anatomy of parts each with a very specific function all designed to make it so a person can hear sounds around them. If you can't hear any sounds around you, the ear is broken.

Naturally the late deafened want to hear again, it was how we grew up. Those who were born deaf don't know sound and therefore don't miss it. Why can't "hearies" get that?
I get that completely, and NOBODY is saying otherwise. If you are happy with not hearing, that's great! But why can't you be happy and still acknowledge that something inside your ear is not working properly?

Would you want to "fix" someone who was born with part of an arm missing? Do you think they can't "live" because they're missing a limb? Sure, some things would be easier with a mechanical arm/hand, but it's not natural to them. Being w/o the arm is natural to them. And yes, I know someone who was born with part of his arm missing. As far as I know, he does not have a prosthetic, but maybe some day he will. His parents don't consider him to be broken.
If someone is happy without using a prosthetic and being without the arm is natural, then great! But it's weird to me if they turn around and claim "My arm is perfectly fine. What is broken about it?!"

-Mike

It's surprising to me when someone who is deaf cannot acknowledge there is something wrong with their ears. I can't understand it, I'm sorry. As for our Creator, you lose me a bit on that argument because I can google image search for "severe birth defects" and have a whole lot of trouble saying "Nah, nothing is wrong with them at all. Our Creator intended it to be that way. They aren't broken."

Anyway, I guess my point is that saying "there is nothing wrong with my ears" is definitely not going to generate the message you intend when speaking to someone not a part of Deaf culture.

-Mike

I don’t consider myself broken just because my ears dont have full hearing. Much of the worldwide population has something that doesn’t work right, whether it’s our eyes, ears, or a missing limb, and so on. Do we go and call all these people broken? I think not. I function in a way that’s different and unique to others. Thank you very much.

I lost my hearing a couple of years ago due to meningitis. My ears do have something wrong with them. I will freely admit that. I went to see if I qualified for cochlear implants and I didn't. It is hard losing hearing and living in a hearing world. I haven't done it long but I am challenged and get frustrated easily. If I could hear again and make my life easier I would. It's no disrespect to the Deaf community. I wouldn't be accepted in the Deaf community anyway, as I am deaf later in life and am not fluent in ASL. I am learning ASL now. It is making my life easier. It's really weird though...in the hearing world you are just hearing, but in the deaf/Deaf community you just aren't deaf. There are so many sub-cultures in the deaf community, and it seems like those sub-cultures are at odds with each other. It's sad.

I don’t consider myself broken just because my ears dont have full hearing. Much of the worldwide population has something that doesn’t work right, whether it’s our eyes, ears, or a missing limb, and so on. Do we go and call all these people broken? I think not. I function in a way that’s different and unique to others. Thank you very much.
Again, NOBODY is talking about calling the person broken. NOBODY. Not once has anybody said that. But your ears, well, your ears ARE.

-Mike

Two of those replies in this thread. I have a feeling I know what you are thinking :)
I don't understand the point of the posts with just a period in them. I assumed the message wasn't sending properly from his side.

-Mike

So far as my comments go, let me be clear. I mean no disrespect and it's not my intention to offend. I'm just trying to understand a perspective that seems unique to Deaf culture. My background is different. Deafness (small d) is something that happened to me, not something I am. I sense that Deafness for others is an identity.

Again, this is new territory for me. If I've stepped in it yet again it wasn't with malice.

I don't understand the point of the posts with just a period in them. I assumed the message wasn't sending properly from his side.

-Mike

I sense that peekaboo was making a point by communicating to us in a method that we're not able to understand in order to make a point regarding expecting deaf people to navigate the hearing world on hearing terms. Though I could be wrong.

-Mike
No, it means the poster typed something and then decided it wasn't appropriate (probably not "family friendly' in this case,) so s/he replaced the post with a period. I don't know if the posts were actually posted and then edited, or edited before sending (the software doesn't allow you to clear the reply box).

So far as my comments go, let me be clear. I mean no disrespect and it's not my intention to offend. I'm just trying to understand a perspective that seems unique to Deaf culture. My background is different. Deafness (small d) is something that happened to me, not something I am. I sense that Deafness for others is an identity.

Again, this is new territory for me. If I've stepped in it yet again it wasn't with malice.

I have seen/read most of your posts. You are doing just fine. :)

A thousand times this!
If I ran around calling some part of my body "Broken" then it just makes me feel less-than... and makes other look at me differently- "oh they're not perfect... they're not like us" (Oh hell they do that anyway). It's not broken to me because it's all I know. It's a PART of me. Yes I have hearing aids but they are far far faaaaar from perfect or functioning FOR ME (society has come to this... we have to quantify everything...). For some they work amazeballs and I'm happy for them.

But for someone to come up to me and tell me I have a body part that is 'broken' , no. I'm not denying anything at all but I AM saying that "it's all I know, how can it be broken if I never knew what it was like "before it broke"?"

Thank you Deafducky! I find myself looking on the outside looking in and trying to understand their way of thinking... Trying to be in their world, trying to speak and hear like a hearing person, And frankly... I am just not there on "their level" and never going to be, so I quit trying to be like them... when I can be my MF self! There I said it!
Hell ... no one is perfect! For them to say "we are broken?" Just who the hell who they think they are? If they think just because they lose there hearing and is broken, cheers for them.

I DO NOT SEE us as DEAF ears being BROKEN! Them hypocrites! To come here and tell us we don't know ourselves. Pppft.. get lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back