Would Like Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziav

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a hearing person, currently I'm going through a few ASL courses and training to be a DSS. As part of the course we must write about how people, who are deaf or hard of hearing, view Cochlear Implants. It would be greatly appreciated if I could get a few thoughts on CI's, whether or not you believe they help, or even if you have a neutral stance on them.

This is a hot topic, so do some research first in order to know what the common opinions are.

There are some that are for it, and some who are not. I have a lot of deaf / Deaf friends who live in VA and most of them are against it, so am I. I don't see why they think it will help them hear better, but hey, each to their own life and opinions. I respect that, I just don't get it??
I wear a hearing aid, just one and I still dont like it, when most hearing people know I can't hear, they always tell me, put your hearing aid on, or they grow impatient with me because it takes only a few secs to put it on. I cant help that. They will have to get used to the fact I have to put it on AND turn it on. They act like it takes forever to put it on... They need to put their shoes in ours to see how we live day to day in the hearing world. It aint easy! reading lips, trying to hear every word they say.. we dont hear everything with hearing aids and CI does not make ones person hearing, it will never make a deaf or like me severely loss of hearing which is 70-85% hearing loss, it may help "some" but it will never come close to being able to hear "everything." I am perfectly fine just being me, i used to think that hearing people were better than us cuz they can hear, speak, walk, see, all the things we disabled don't have. But truth be told...I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing that I am imperfect... Isn't everyone? :D

I don't have CI's so I can't help you there, but give my opinion on them. I am sure those who have them can tell you a much better idea of what they are like. As I don't have a clue. ;)
How is your ASL coming along? :deaf:

There are some that are for it, and some who are not. I have a lot of deaf / Deaf friends who live in VA and most of them are against it, so am I. I don't see why they think it will help them hear better, but hey, each to their own life and opinions. I respect that, I just don't get it??

I wear a hearing aid, just one and I still don't like it, when most hearing people know I can't hear, they always tell me, put your hearing aid on, or they grow impatient with me because it takes only a few secs to put it on. I can't help that. They will have to get used to the fact I have to put it on AND turn it on. They act like it takes forever to put it on... They need to put their shoes in ours to see how we live day to day in the hearing world. It ain't easy! reading lips, trying to hear every word they say.. we don't hear everything with hearing aids and CI does not make ones person hearing, it will never make a deaf or like me severely loss of hearing which is 70-85% hearing loss, it may help "some" but it will never come close to being able to hear "everything." I am perfectly fine just being me, i used to think that hearing people were better than us cuz they can hear, speak, walk, see, all the things we disabled don't have. But truth be told...I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing that I am imperfect... Isn't everyone? :D

I don't have CI's so I can't help you there, but give my opinion on them. I am sure those who have them can tell you a much better idea of what they are like. As I don't have a clue. ;)

This almost sounds like you are against the CI for anyone not just you! Why try to tell anyone else what they should do?

I can understand the impatience of those you make wait while you put your hearing aid on and turn it on. They are not unreasonable in expecting you to already have it in and on when in a place where you are going to be meeting other people.

At the end you say you don't have a clue about CI so why are you so vehemently opposed to them? Please don't make a blanket statement that CIs don't get anyone close to hearing. I have read many posts about how much they help; especially if rehab and mappings are followed.

Read my statements clearly you didn't read it good enough to see that yes I am against it. He did ask whether we believe if it helps or not. Read what he said. I view on thoughts on CI and it still stands. I am not going to change my mind about it. I didn't say anything that they should do, I simply said I didn't understand why they need it when they can just be themselves( this is my honest opinion). And I also stated that I RESPECT that they want it... I have my opinions just like everyone else. And yes I don't have a clue as I don't have CI and don't plan on getting one. Even if the doctor said I was qualified for one. When I say that when "HEARING PEOPLE" Tell someone who wears a hearing aid... " THEY DONT NEED TO BE TOLD TO PUT IT ON!!!!!!!" And YES....that is unreasonable! should I be impatient with them because I can't hear every word they say? AM I being unreasonable??????? I don't think so.

We are part of this world as much as the hearing persons and should be allowed to be ourselves to feel free to express and not feel we need to "BOW" down to them because ... deaf/hard of hearing/ or any disabled, don't meet their standards! what a load of HS! I will put on my hearing aid when I see fit, not to be TOLD to put it on. I know I can't hear without it, and certainly DO NOT NEED TO BE TOLD TO PUT IT ON! That is like talking down to someone like a three-year-old. I am a grown woman who is capable of knowing what I should do and not do. I don't need someone telling me to tie my shoes, or brush my teeth, or comb my hair... I certainly don't need someone to tell me to put on my hearing aid!

I wear a hearing aid, just one and I still dont like it, when most hearing people know I can't hear, they always tell me, put your hearing aid on, or they grow impatient with me because it takes only a few secs to put it on. I cant help that. They will have to get used to the fact I have to put it on AND turn it on. They act like it takes forever to put it on... They need to put their shoes in ours to see how we live day to day in the hearing world. It aint easy! reading lips, trying to hear every word they say.. we dont hear everything with hearing aids and CI does not make ones person hearing, it will never make a deaf or like me severely loss of hearing which is 70-85% hearing loss, it may help "some" but it will never come close to being able to hear "everything." I am perfectly fine just being me, i used to think that hearing people were better than us cuz they can hear, speak, walk, see, all the things we disabled don't have. But truth be told...I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing that I am imperfect... Isn't everyone? :D

Thank you so much :rofl: I greatly appreciate this.
ps. my ASL classes are coming in great still have a long way to go but it worth the effort.

It's interesting. I'm new to these types of discussions, and it seems as if deafness is certainly seen as an identity, moreso than perhaps some other...I know I'm not supposed to say disabilites here...but I'm not sure what else to say.

You generally don't see the blind community opposed to processes/treatments/aids which might restore an element of sight, or a paraplegic community opposed to helping individuals become more mobile. But in the Deaf community there seems to be an element of betrayal associated with wanting to be able to navigate the hearing world on the hearing world's terms. Considering the hearing world consists of 99% or the people, it's kind of essential we do that unless we want to huddle amongst ourselves.

I'm late deafened and spent all my life as a hearing person, so it's not surprising that I'd see it this way. Perhaps I'd feel differently had I grown up deaf.

It's interesting. I'm new to these types of discussions, and it seems as if deafness is certainly seen as an identity, moreso than perhaps some other...I know I'm not supposed to say disabilites here...but I'm not sure what else to say.

You generally don't see the blind community opposed to processes/treatments/aids which might restore an element of sight, or a paraplegic community opposed to helping individuals become more mobile. But in the Deaf community there seems to be an element of betrayal associated with wanting to be able to navigate the hearing world on the hearing world's terms. Considering the hearing world consists of 99% or the people, it's kind of essential we do that unless we want to huddle amongst ourselves.

I'm late deafened and spent all my life as a hearing person, so it's not surprising that I'd see it this way. Perhaps I'd feel differently had I grown up deaf.

Thank You very much for sharing your thoughts on this, its greatly appreciated. :rofl:

I'm late deafened and
spent all my life as a hearing person, so it's not surprising that I'd see it this way. Perhaps I'd feel differently had I grown up deaf.

Hey and welcome. I am sure if the world was 99 percent disabled and only that 1% was hearing, would you want to feel like you need to be yourself other than try to fit in that 99%? Being you were hearing most of your life I can see why you would say this since you do not understand the deaf/Deaf culture. Not that I am expecting you too :) We as a deaf/ Deaf/hard of hearing community ... this is our pride. We own it and make no bones about it. It's just a natural thing for us to defend it. We are not saying all hearing people are bad, we are just sick and tired of "hearing people" thinking we need to be "fix" when there is nothing wrong with us in the first place. If only you can see through our eyes (ears), and maybe you will .. I don't know, that depends on you. :) I am not "profoundly" Deaf accordingly to the deaf community, which I can see clearly why they would think that most do and most don't ( i know that sounds so confusing, even I get confuse sometimes with that...), however, I see myself as one, since I can not hear anything without my hearing aids, period.
Only thing you need to understand is that in the Deaf/deaf community... we have come SUCH A long ways to get our voices heard, WE STILL HAVE MORE TO GO which shouldn't be the case, but... it seems like NO ONE wants to listen to someone who is different int a hearing white privileged world. I am just being honest from what I see and experience.
No hard feelings. We are honestly good and friendly people ... we just don't like change, we like who we are. :)

BTW ASL ROCKS! :D

Also if your a parent of a deaf/hard of hearing child, did many people, doctors, family, friends push you to get them a CI or did they leave it completely up to you.

Marry me, you fool!

My sentiments exactly about the CI. It may be great for some, and not for others. I’m just fine with my HAs. On days I work, they are in. On days or evenings when I’m just home, I usually don’t bother. I like the peace and quiet at times. I think one of my pet peeves is when some complete stranger tells me I need a CI. I think I know what’s best for me. Especially with being prelingually deaf. My other pet peeve is when strangers make up signs and tell me they can sign, and it’s nothing but gobbledygook.

To get CI or not is of course a personal decision. The main issue is not some much whether or not to get one, but that as a society ours seems completely uninterested in making any accommodations regarding any disability. Fix it or marginalized those with it is the current credo.

...when there is nothing wrong with us in the first place.
Maybe it is just me, but I think this is the part that a lot of people struggle with relating to. My initial reaction to that is... well, no, your ears are broken. Sure, there is nothing wrong with you as a person, but biologically speaking, your ears do not function as they were designed to. So naturally people want to fix what is broken. But I also understand that Deaf people are happy with their life and don't feel the need to change, that is fine too.

Something else I recently learned is that most people don't even understand how a cochlear implant works or what it's capabilities are. I had surgery last week and my first day back to work yesterday I had people asking me if I am hearing better now. :crazy:

there is nothing wrong with us in the first place. ! :D

Maybe it is just me, but I think this is the part that a lot of people struggle with relating to. My initial reaction to that is... well, no, your ears are broken. Sure, there is nothing wrong with you as a person, but biologically speaking, your ears do not function as they were designed to. So naturally people want to fix what is broken. But I also understand that Deaf people are happy with their life and don't feel the need to change, that is fine too.

Something else I recently learned is that most people don't even understand how a cochlear implant works or what it's capabilities are. I had surgery last week and my first day back to work yesterday I had people asking me if I am hearing better now. :crazy:

It is not just you
. This has long been my reaction but you said it much better than I have been able to. I have tried to come up with the best way to express this and never quite been happy with what I was able to come up with.

I have made a personal decision on getting a CI for my left ear which is severe to profoundly deaf. I made the decision nobody else but me. No one forced me to do it anyway. My mom is deaf and my father I am assuming is deaf. I don't know if he is deaf or not.

No, my ears not are broken, its fine the way it is. This is the misconception people think... "Oh, it's broken, therefore it needs to be fixed.!?" If we can't be happy the way our Creator made us, then why bother... right? The tech we have now is changing our ways of thinking and as a human being. We live in a society of wanting to change our bodies with technology and it's changing us in a way we don't even recognize ourselves before its too late.

No RESPECT to the very Creator who made us the way we are supposed to be.

However, it seems that Technology is winning. I don't think our Father is pleased with this, to say the least.
If he wanted us all to hear, see, walk, speak, He would have done so, but he didn't. That is what makes all of us different and unique. We have missed that mark by 100 miles. :( okay I am done with this.

Rant on. :run::D

No, my ears not are broken, its fine the way it is. This is the misconception people think... "Oh, it's broken, therefore it needs to be fixed.!?" If we can't be happy the way our Creator made us, then why bother... right? The tech we have now is changing our ways of thinking and as a human being. We live in a society of wanting to change our bodies with technology and it's changing us in a way we don't even recognize ourselves before its too late.

No RESPECT to the very Creator who made us the way we are supposed to be.

However, it seems that Technology is winning. I don't think our Father is pleased with this, to say the least.
If he wanted us all to hear, see, walk, speak, He would have done so, but he didn't. That is what makes all of us different and unique. We have missed that mark by 100 miles. :( okay I am done with this.

Rant on. :run::D

I love a good rant!

As I said above, I'm new here and I'm not here to criticize or condemn anyone for what they wish to think or do. I find people insights very interesting, especially when they veer from my own.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a segment of The Deaf community doesn't recognize that, yes, your ears are broken? As Michael said above, that doesn't imply that someone is broken as a person. And this seems unique to the Deaf. One doesn't generally hear the blind suggesting that their eyes are just fine. I was hearing for many many years. Now I don't...because my ears don't work. That's a fact. If an individual is fine with not hearing and sees no need to, then that's great. I just don't understand the denial that there's actually something broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back