Would Like Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've restated my point so many times it doesn't even matter. You are so hell bent on being offended by everything I have to say, when it's the last thing I was trying to do. It seems you are projecting your own issues and insecurities onto me and then arguing and calling me names for it. You want people to make more of an effort to understand the Deaf culture, but can't be even the tiniest bit open minded to understand an opposing viewpoint.

My ears are broken. I think yours are too, but it doesn't make you or me any less of a person. I have my opinion about it, and you have yours. Nobody says either has to change, but if you want to have any kind of meaningful conversation with someone (about anything), understanding their viewpoint helps. But you're not interested in that. You just want to be angry and hateful at someone who doesn't think the way you think. Good luck with that.
Oh, more mudslinging on the Deaf. Apparently we have issues and insecurities, angry and hateful if we’re offended by being called broken. Fact is, many of us aren’t interested in what hearing people view us as. I’ve gone through my life fully capable and happy as a deaf and Deaf person, hence why I said I don’t give a rat’s a$$ what THEY think of us. I’m guessing the one with issues and insecurities are those like yourself. Needing to put a label on everything to make you feel better. I’m done with this ridiculous derailed train. Let’s get back to the original topic.

I think this is where a good deal of the fight comes from. As I see more things posted by those that have ASL as their first language I see differences in meaning of things that appear to be the same.

I feel that those that keep saying their "deaf ears are not broken" need to realize that people that hear are referring to the ability to physically hear only not to other things about the person. That ability to hear does seem broken to those of us that can hear, or could in the past, and thus had English as our first language.

Then those of us that hear, or did in the past, need to realize that hearing is not important to those that grew up in or have adapted to the practices of the Deaf Community.

First.. I grew up ORAL and did not have ASL until I was 18 so technically English is my first language. And I still feel the same way.. that my ears are not "broken". The way my ears function is all I've ever know so to me they are not broken. I get that someone is trying to impress on us poor sods that hearing people think this way.... but as AlleyCat said... I don't care anymore..I've grown up with this crap and all it does is frustrate the hell out of me when I say I'm fine the way I am but others insist on well you should try____ (insert whatever there) or feel pity/sympathy for me (I don't need that either).

Non-functioning ears... THAT I can live with.. but the connotation of "broken" doesn't sit well with me.

I agree with your second point though.

Maybe it is a matter of where I live (Southern Illinois about (give or take a few miles) 60 miles east of St. Louis) with very few obviously Deaf people around but I wonder how often this "broken ears" issue comes up in real life. I can't really remember it. But it sure erupts on this forum.

Maybe it is a matter of where I live (Southern Illinois about (give or take a few miles) 60 miles east of St. Louis) with very few obviously Deaf people around but I wonder how often this "broken ears" issue comes up in real life. I can't really remember it. But it sure erupts on this forum.
That is somewhere along the lines of my point too. I, and many of us here, will occasionally get the dumba$$ that insist that we must be fixed. I can’t even think of the last time someone said it to me. That’s why I was saying I don’t care what others think, whether they think I need to be fixed or not. Because I don’t need to be fixed. And that conversations need to be made about it. Yet for some reason Mike felt the need to make sure we’re all well aware we “have broken ears!” What was the point?

That is somewhere along the lines of my point too. I, and many of us here, will occasionally get the dumba$$ that insist that we must be fixed. I can’t even think of the last time someone said it to me. That’s why I was saying I don’t care what others think, whether they think I need to be fixed or not. Because I don’t need to be fixed. And that conversations need to be made about it. Yet for some reason Mike felt the need to make sure we’re all well aware we “have broken ears!” What was the point?

What about the hearing person that honestly wonders why you don't do something be it a question about a hearing aid or a CI? I feel sure that not everyone that asks is doing it as as "put down".

I think many here from the Deaf Community are reading something into his posts that is not really there; but that he is trying to get across one of those things that means something different to the two communities (hearing and Deaf).

To the person that asks nicely, and not in a mocking way or outright insists I must be fixed, I simply say I am deaf or that I have a hearing loss. And that I wear hearing aids to help. I certainly don’t say I have broken ears.

Oh, more mudslinging on the Deaf.
No, my post was a direct response to YOU, not the entire Deaf community. There you go again lying about something I said, and then arguing with me about it. It's absurd.

Non-functioning ears... THAT I can live with.. but the connotation of "broken" doesn't sit well with me.
That makes sense to me and I probably should have just said "non-functioning ears" instead of "broken" in the first place. The point is still the same, but I can see how it has less of a negative connotation. But then again I did try to rephrase and said "not working as designed" and someone took issue with that, too. So I don't know.

I truely meant to offense to anyone, I was simply trying to explain things from the view of a hearing person hoping that might trigger more overall understanding and discussion within both deaf and Deaf groups. I was wrong. Now I'm just a dick and an a$$hole. :)

-Mike

Last edited:
To the person that asks nicely, and not in a mocking way or outright insists I must be fixed, I simply say I am deaf or that I have a hearing loss. And that I wear hearing aids to help. I certainly don’t say I have broken ears.

That sounds like you don't erupt like some have given the impression they do. What I was thinking of is the person that wonders if you have checked about a CI or any other devise that they have heard some about.

No, my post was a direct response to YOU, not the entire Deaf community. There you go again lying about something I said, and then arguing with me about it. It's absurd.
That pretty much sums up your awareness of the Deaf Community. Here is a tip: You mess with one, you mess with all. Maybe someday you and @CanYouRepeatThat? Will have an awakening. Dont make blanket statements. And then suggest it's okay to disagree. You got what you asked for.

That pretty much sums up your awareness of the Deaf Community. Here is a tip: You mess with one, you mess with all. Maybe someday you and @CanYouRepeatThat? Will have an awakening. Dont make blanket statements. And then suggest it's okay to disagree. You got what you asked for.

I indicated that I'm leaving this forum, and that's true. However since you specifically tagged me in you post for yet another jab (thus alerting me via email) I'm going to respond. (If it's possible to delete my account completely, please make that happen.)

I had hopes for this forum, for practical advice and opinions on my impairment. However it seems to be policed by a few self-appointed guardians who are here merely to chastise and shout down anyone who doesn't toe your particular line. Forgive me for being uninterested in cow-towing to bullies.

And no, I won't LEARN to acquiesce to your thinking. The only thing you've taught me is some some members of the Deaf community are complete assholes. Unfortunately the assholes seem to run this place. I was not attempting to be disrespectful in my previous posts, in fact I offered the idea that I was not capable of understanding your perspective given my own experiences. But I'm being disrespectful now, because you're unworthy of my respect.

Ciao. Enjoy ruling over your little bubble.

I indicated that I'm leaving this forum, and that's true. However since you specifically tagged me in you post for yet another jab (thus alerting me via email) I'm going to respond. (If it's possible to delete my account completely, please make that happen.)

I had hopes for this forum, for practical advice and opinions on my impairment. However it seems to be policed by a few self-appointed guardians who are here merely to chastise and shout down anyone who doesn't toe your particular line. Forgive me for being uninterested in cow-towing to bullies.

And no, I won't LEARN to acquiesce to your thinking. The only thing you've taught me is some some members of the Deaf community are complete assholes. Unfortunately the assholes seem to run this place. I was not attempting to be disrespectful in my previous posts, in fact I offered the idea that I was not capable of understanding your perspective given my own experiences. But I'm being disrespectful now, because you're unworthy of my respect.

Ciao. Enjoy ruling over your little bubble.
Very well said. I will be leaving as well and will find someplace more open-minded and inclusive of others.

-Mike

This thread certainly got carried away...

Would professional doctors and/or audiologists say this to their patients "I'm sorry but your ears is broken" or "I'm sorry your eyes is broken". I don't think so... it's unprofessional and inconsiderate of their feelings. There is a better way than that. We don't tell people that part of their body is broken.

Getting a CI is a personal choice... it's not for everyone. There is always pro and cons about the device. Some people have a reason to get CI and come here to give/receive feedback and advices. There's no need to tell us that our ears are broken... people lost hearing for many reasons from birth to nerve damage to disease.

Last edited:
This thread certainly got carried away...

Would professional doctors and/or audiologists say this to their patients "I'm sorry but your ears is broken" or "I'm sorry your eyes is broken". I don't think so... it's unprofessional and inconsiderate of their feelings. There is a better way than that. We don't tell people that part of their body is broken.

Getting a CI is a personal choice... it's not for everyone. There is always pro and cons about the device. Some people have a reason to get CI and come here to give/receive feedback and advices. There's no need to tell us that our ears are broken... people lost hearing for many reasons from birth to nerve damage to disease.
I am only sorry that I got carried away for a short time... I did give my opinion about CI and left it at that, but its happened, the broken part, just went too far IMHO. I hope this will be a lesson to us all not to get tangled up in that kind conversation and next time I will just kick back and watch.
My opinion on CI still stands. It is a matter of personal choice, I agree 100%

I regret ever using the word broken, as it has caused so much unnecessary anger and misunderstanding that I never intended. You can use whatever phrase is best. But one thing a professional doctor or audiologist would NOT say is "your ears are working fine" which is the notion I was originally responding to. Given what the conversation turned into, it wasn't worth debating here.

peekaboo and I obviously don't agree on much, but at least we can agree that a CI is a personal choice.

I regret ever using the word broken, as it has caused so much unnecessary anger and misunderstanding that I never intended. You can use whatever phrase is best. But one thing a professional doctor or audiologist would NOT say is "your ears are working fine" which is the notion I was originally responding to. Given what the conversation turned into, it wasn't worth debating here.

peekaboo and I obviously don't agree on much, but at least we can agree that a CI is a personal choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back