Would it be worth it to get my left (bad) ear implanted?

floridadude

Reaction score
MRI I had showed not much hearing nerve on the left side of my head. The doctor said he could implant my left ear if I wanted but couldn't guarantee that it would have any benefits but he also said that the longer I wait, the less likely I'd be to have any benefit in that ear.

The hearing loss in my left ear is profound and always has been. As a kid, I wore an aid in that ear to feel the vibrations but it never did anything speech wise so I stopped wearing an aid in that ear about 13 years ago when I was 11 or 12.

I'm having some thoughts that maybe I shouldn't implant my left ear but on the other hand I don't have anything to lose so I figure why not?

Well, I like your thought on not having anything to lose. But there’s always the risk of anesthesia as well as any costs not covered by insurance. Is the doctor you saw an ENT?

I asked my husband about this since he just watched me go through cochlear implant surgery in May. He feels that the surgeon must have a little bit of hope for the bad ear or he would not offer to try the surgery on that ear. I am inclined to agree with him. He said yes, if it were him, he would have it done on both ears.

I asked my husband about this since he just watched me go through cochlear implant surgery in May. He feels that the surgeon must have a little bit of hope for the bad ear or he would not offer to try the surgery on that ear. I am inclined to agree with him. He said yes, if it were him, he would have it done on both ears.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Thanks, that makes sense.

My husband mountain bikes....even after he broke his ribs due to a mountain bike accident, he still mountain bikes. And he has had numerous crashes. He is a risk taker, I am not. My husband grabs life to the fullest. He lives for each day, not for the future.

As for me, regarding the bad ear, yes, I am sure I would most likely have it done. But I don't know if I could stand having them both done at the same time due to my age and physical health and chronic pain.

You are moving fast into this decision to get a cochlear implant. It took me months to decide, with a lot of agony over the decision. My husband and boys are the type of......"let's get this done." My boys are also risk takers. I can see all of them moving along as fast as you.

All of this is to say.........just be at peace with what you choose, one implant or two. You have to live with it or both the rest of your life. Just know that you really want a cochlear implant and are willing to work hard. A cochlear implant comes with a price........you have to train your brain to recognize sounds and words, and you have to deal with the technology. And there are no guarantees with a cochlear implant, as you know.....however, I think most recipients are happy with theirs. I know I am with mine. I wish you the best!

My husband mountain bikes....even after he broke his ribs due to a mountain bike accident, he still mountain bikes. And he has had numerous crashes. He is a risk taker, I am not. My husband grabs life to the fullest. He lives for each day, not for the future.

As for me, regarding the bad ear, yes, I am sure I would most likely have it done. But I don't know if I could stand having them both done at the same time due to my age and physical health and chronic pain.

You are moving fast into this decision to get a cochlear implant. It took me months to decide, with a lot of agony over the decision. My husband and boys are the type of......"let's get this done." My boys are also risk takers. I can see all of them moving along as fast as you.

All of this is to say.........just be at peace with what you choose, one implant or two. You have to live with it or both the rest of your life. Just know that you really want a cochlear implant and are willing to work hard. A cochlear implant comes with a price........you have to train your brain to recognize sounds and words, and you have to deal with the technology. And there are no guarantees with a cochlear implant, as you know.....however, I think most recipients are happy with theirs. I know I am with mine. I wish you the best!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not sure about getting both ears done at one time. Seems like it would make for a trickier recovery, but on the other hand, I don't want to do surgery twice. For sure I am getting my right ear implanted in a few weeks. But I'm not certain if I'll do my left ear on the same day or wait until later. See what happens. In a way, I do feel hurried with all this, just want to do it all and get it over with.

Back