World first 64-bits personal computer!

illustrator

Reaction score
Apple takes wraps off G5s: Apple Computer (AAPL) introduced on Monday its new G5 computer chip, a breakthrough design by IBM (IBM) which can handle twice as much data at once as traditional PC microchips.

Cupertino, California-based Apple introduced the new Power Mac G5 desktop computer based on the chip at a developer conference in San Francisco. Details about the new machines, which start at $1,999, leaked onto the Web last week.

Apple plans in August to begin selling three models of desktop computers based on the G5 chip, which can manage 64 bits of data at once, compared with 32 bits for traditional home computers.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the new G5s will outperform Windows-based PCs, which use chips from Intel and AMD that run at faster rates -- measured in gigahertz -- than those in current Macintoshes.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59361,00.html

specstop06232003.jpg

expansiontop06232003.gif

That's beautiful tower I ever seen!

Apple plans in August to begin selling three models of desktop computers based on the G5 chip, which can manage 64 bits of data at once, compared with 32 bits for traditional home computers.

It'll be funny if they don't meet the August deadline. :p

Link

Link.

Enjoy the facts. :)

Originally posted by SilenceGold
It'll be funny if they don't meet the August deadline. :p

Link

Link.

Enjoy the facts. :)

I don't buy it. I have to wait until PC World to test that Apple computer. Or something real testing. They haven't release G5 on shelf, huh?

Last edited:
Originally posted by illustrator
I don't buy it. I have to wait until PC World to test that Apple computer.

It wont be as stable as clawhammer, cuz clawhammer have been going under development for 5+ years. Thats one of the reason why they released XP, instead of sledgehammer that they were supposed to release. (amd changed name sledgehammer to clawhammer after more delevopments).

Just read a little bit of the literature on the G5 and how they put the whole computer together. I second the drooling!!!!! (Perhaps wearing swim trunks would be good with all the drool around here. :) )

From what I can see it should still be quite easy to add the RAM, hard drives and such via the side. I will have to stop my local Apple Store(tm) and confirm of course but I doubt Apple would make upgrading less of an enjoyable experience. (I hope they have drool shields over that puppy. :) )

On a final note I personally don't have a problem with the case designs littlefish posted. In fact I have two Macs with this case style and I have liked them very much. Granted newer machines look much better and are easier to care for but these were great for their time. I say this because older Mac models, and some PCs at the time, were layed out such that working on them could be a chore. In contrast these machines would open up in such a way that one could get to any component with ease. (The side comes off with the push of a button, you pull two levers and the whole thing opens up like you're parting the seas. :) ) I was also amused to find these machines had SCSI and EIDE support built into the motherboard in addition to the ultra SCSI card which came with the machines I have. This meant I could put most common drives in these Macs including the ones showing up at my university's surplus depot. :D

I am thinking about purchasing a G5 next month. If I buy a G5 1.6 GHz, will I able to install a second processor later when the price goes down - so that it would become a dual processor? I am not sure about an independent bus.

I am just a little disappointed that it does not offer a 2nd CD-driver. I know it does offer a USB CD-driver or firewire.

Last edited:
Originally posted by webexplorer
I am thinking about purchasing a G5 next month. If I buy a G5 1.6 GHz, will I able to install a second processor later when the price goes down - so that it would become a dual processor? I am not sure about an independent bus.

I am just a little disappointed that it does not offer a 2nd CD-driver. I know it does offer a USB CD-driver or firewire.

Do you need backup from CD to CD-RW?

I understand, they are protect from copy on CD. I think?

It's pretty unheard for me about install second processor on your own.. Hmm...

Let's say that you purchase a G5 1.6 MHz and it has only one 64-bit desktop processor. Will you able to buy another 64-bit desktop processor, and install it? It would be great for you to buy a top line desktop computer, but it is too costly. (see the image of the desktop that contains two logo of G5 boxes in it.)

Another thing, a frontside bus and a dual independent 1GHz frontside bus. Are these buses included in this G5 1.6 GHz? If not, then can we able to upgrade these buses?

I am trying to figure out which one that can handle two ways to do all the work in different applications without waiting for a few minutes. It seems that a bus is most important than a GHz. (Of course GHz is nice etc...)

I can't find any info on if you could run a MAC with single processor then upgrade to a dual system without having to replace a "motherboard."

PC does that for P3 and P4 already.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
I can't find any info on if you could run a MAC with single processor then upgrade to a dual system without having to replace a "motherboard."

PC does that for P3 and P4 already.

Pentium required no dual, eh?

Frankly, I do remember I saw there have dual Pentium, but I am not sure about it....

Originally posted by illustrator
Pentium required no dual, eh?

Frankly, I do remember I saw there have dual Pentium, but I am not sure about it....

You can buy a motherboard that supports dual p3/p4 cpus and only have one processor in it....and your OS would use it as a single processor system. Later, you could buy a new identical cpu and install it. For windows 2000, it'll require to reinstall windows 2000 to enable the dual processor support. For Freebsd, I would just compile in SMP support in the kernel.

It is my understanding that Apple Computer will be releasing two or three kinds of Power Mac G5 configurations. For more obvious, precise details about those three configurations, here it goes at:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Hope this help clear up some questions or thoughts about G5s. The third option is high-end with two G5 microprocessors, while first two are only one G5 microprocessors.

Mac does make a dual processor G5 ...I guess you mean you want to go the cost-cutting way.......and add a second processor later?

I hear the rumor that 64-bits will not able to running on Mac OS 9.x

weekend said:
I hear the rumor that 64-bits will not able to running on Mac OS 9.x

I believe that is true. Please note that Apple Computer is no longer developing updated versions of legacy Mac OS 9. Therefore, new Apple Computer personal computers and servers these days and in the future only focus on latest, advanced "next generation, industrial strength" system architecture -- OSX that is.

Back