World Deaf Cinema Festival? What a FARCE! Deaf filmmakers bumped out for hearing . .

ASLuser101

Reaction score
I saw this on Gallynet-L:

Subject: For GallyNet-L Discussion World Deaf Cinema Festival? What a FARCE!

World Deaf Cinema Festival? What a FARCE! (To be held at Gallaudet next week!)

Of the 22 films selected for this film festival for supposedly DEAF filmmakers, a good chunk of those films were made by HEARING FILMMAKERS!!!!! Get this -- some of those filmmakers are Hollywood professionals! Good grief!

I wonder why WDCF Chair Dr. Jane Norman and Co-Vice Chair Scott Carollo, bragged about a high number of submissions if they're going to give slots to hearing filmmakers? They might as well show Paranormal Activity 2.

I KNOW for a fact there were films made by deaf filmmakers that played in mainstream festivals and have won AWARDS but were REJECTED from WDCF in order to make space for HEARING filmmakers.

One has to question Norman and Carollo for spending federal dollars on a film festival showcasing films by HEARING filmmakers. Its not like there is a lack of venues for hearing filmmakers. Deaf filmmakers, on the other hand, truly have limited options.

It's one thing when a local community or organization run a film festival and certain economic choices need to be made, but this case, with the funds from the taxpayers, the bar is higher to focus on deaf filmmakers. Hilari Scarl didn't need WDCF's help. The deaf filmmakers who got bumped did.

Wow, I had seen the announcements for the WDCF and was bummed because it looked really cool but was too far away for me to go. Now, I'm :hmm:

as long as the films are on deaf issues what's the problem?? how many deaf filmmakers can there be? if you had a film fest with only deaf filmmakers then you only get youtube directors. a professional film about deaf sure beats a hand held camera from deaf filmmakers. the idea is to be a commercial success rather than an artistic success only

as long as the films are on deaf issues what's the problem?? how many deaf filmmakers can there be? if you had a film fest with only deaf filmmakers then you only get youtube directors. a professional film about deaf sure beats a hand held camera from deaf filmmakers. the idea is to be a commercial success rather than an artistic success only

Are you saying that deaf people are not as capable as making a film like hearing people?

Here's a reply from Hilari Scarl, once again, courtesy of GallyNet-L:

Hello everyone -

I received the email below about the frustration that there weren't more deaf filmmakers chosen for the festival. I have to agree with you, even though I am hearing and we do have the honor of showing our film SEE WHAT I'M SAYING at WDCF. I don't know what the criteria was for choosing the films - I believe it was with a committee who chose the films.

I feel the same frustration when men screen their work at women's film festivals. My goal is to see the day when we don't need speciality festivals because a good film is a good film no matter who made it - hearing or deaf, white or black, man or woman because all are given equal chances and films are judged on their merit alone and not who is behind the camera.

I realize that deaf filmmakers don't have the same opportunities that I have had, which is why I run an internship program for deaf filmmakers here in Los Angeles, and have worked with several very talented deaf filmmakers. I notice that very few of them submit their films to more than a few festivals because of a lack of distribution strategy. I'm hoping to give some tools to the crowd during my panel discussion on Saturday.

So my way of giving back to deaf filmmakers is by sponsoring a Short Film Contest that is open to deaf filmmakers, hearing filmmakers and foreign filmmakers - you can create your film in any language as long as it's captioned in English. The winners are selected by votes so that it is completely fair that the best films with the most votes win.

I hope to encourage more deaf filmmakers to share their work with mainstream audiences, and for more hearing filmmakers to caption their films. I have personally asked my friends and colleagues at major studios - DreamWorks, Sony, Universal and MGM to donate one hour of their time in a private meeting as one of the prizes for the winners. This is an opportunity for filmmakers from anywhere in the world to get their foot in the door (and I'm providing interpreters if needed.) I'm flying the winners to Los Angeles - all expenses paid to attend the red carpet Gala DVD Release Party where they get to screen their films at Universal Studios in front of many industry folks.

Two deaf filmmakers made sample films for the contest website to show others that their films don't need to be elaborate in order to be good. It is now up to the filmmakers to take the first step and take advantage of this opportunity.

When I became frustrated that doors were closed to me, when I had no support or funding or even much of a resume - I didn't get mad (okay, a little mad) - I got busy!! I am hoping this festival inspires more deaf filmmakers to get out there with their cameras and keep making more films, keep working on their craft and networking to find their way towards more work.

I personally am always on the look out for talented deaf crew, collaborators, etc. to work with me. I hope to make new friends next week and feel inspired by some great films. It's really tough being a hearing filmmaker at a deaf festival, so I'm trying to find as many ways to give back as possible.

As a documentary filmmaker, SEE WHAT I'M SAYING isn't my story - it's CJ's, Robert's, Bob's and TL's stories that I was honored enough to capture. I am hoping that their stories inspire a new generation of artists to see what is possible.

With deepest gratitude,
Hilari

------------------------
Hilari Scarl
Director/Producer
SEE WHAT I'M SAYING
The Deaf Entertainers Documentary
See What I'm Saying: The Deaf Entertainers Documentary | Official Movie Site

My comments:

Deaf filmmakers are always going to be at a disadvantage at mainstream festivals simply because of the fact that most audiences don't care for subtitles. Mainstream festivals need to fill the seats and they're not likely to show many subtitled films, if at all. Not fair? True, but we can't force paying audiences to watch subtitled films. This is why specialty festivals like WDCF should only show deaf-created films.

I have to hand it to Hilari Scarl for speaking out. No doubt she made an excellent and enjoyable film. But she's not deaf. Its no fault of hers that she's in this position. WDCF should have never accepted submissions from hearing people in the first place.

Another WDCF blunder was to make their announcements less than 2 weeks before the event. Some deaf filmmaker friends and family wasted their money making trip arrangements OR found out the panels and workshops were sold out weeks ago!

By observing their actions, it has become clear WDCF is not an event for deaf filmmakers. It's an event for deaf film goers. Its somewhat of a joke to have deaf filmmaking panels and workshops at WDCF when hearing filmmakers are held in high regard during the event?

Did I mention that a lot of presentations are going to be by hearing people?

Woe is us deaf people who cannot prevail at our own events!

capable.

Are you saying that deaf people are not as capable as making a film like hearing people?

you misunderstood me. i was saying there are less than 3 deaf filmmakers as opposed to a gazillion hearing. using a cell phone video camera does not count as being a filmmaker. there are a lot of different film fests that i have seen. but never seen and heard of in a mainstream publication. deaf filmmakers will always be ignored unles they can align with hearing filmmakers and distributors

using a cell phone video camera does not count as being a filmmaker

Actually, its the contents that count, not the gear. If you're able to create a feature film with a cell phone vidcam and get someone to pay to watch it or buy the DVD then you ARE a filmmaker.

Beware though, one better have extremely compelling story (AND a tripod) before starting production. Most people with access to $5K and up video cameras claiming to be filmmakers lack a script(s) worthy of production.

my point is really that a deaf film fest is focused on the film with a "deaf" theme. who makes the film should not be the debate. saying that there is less than 3 deaf filmmakers is to have someone rebut with a list of deaf who are filmmakers which has turned up 00000.
the film fests i have seen at different cities has not required that the filmmaker adhere to strict guidelines and be the same sex/culture/orientation as the film subject. what would be the point?

I believe you need to step up and state the facts correctly regardless of the point you're trying to make.

There are different kind of film festivals. If you had checked through the information, one of the things WDCF was supposed to to was provide opportunities for deaf filmmakers as well as provide education for deaf filmmakers to help them succeed. WDCF decided to accomplish this mission buy using MANY hearing filmmakers on both the exhibition and education side (panels, et. al.).

If a film festival wants to just show films about the deaf, then say so. They shouldn't make an end run around our intelligence. We're not stupid and there are a lot of us.

And by the way, many festivals have SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS, including same sex, culture and/or orientation.

Back