Wood-burning stove

Technically when word seasoned means it has dried out, minimum is 6 months with it splitted and covered to prevent from rain. Best 1-2 years depend on which kind of trees.

To be able to tell, if you see greenish beneath of bark, it is still wet. If the wood has few cracks, it is seasoned.

The reason for this is to reduce risk of creosote built up in chimney. You don't want to experience chimney fires. Scary!

I'm watching over my wood stove at my cabin as I type this. I love it so much.

We have tons of felled trees in our woods from the hurricane and tornadoes that came through the Catskills the last year that we will hire someone to help us chop up.

But till then we bought a cord of wood from a neighbor. How can you tell for sure if firewood is seasoned?

Thank you! Very good to know...it's our first real winter with the stove. We bought the cabin mid-winter last year and didn't stay in it much as we were painting, getting furniture, etc. But it's a new chimney so hopefully we'll be okay this year.

Yeah, this is my first winter using my own woodstove all the way. I done got chimney sweeper and swept right before my surgery. So far I used half cord of firewood. Not bad so far.

Thank you! Very good to know...it's our first real winter with the stove. We bought the cabin mid-winter last year and didn't stay in it much as we were painting, getting furniture, etc. But it's a new chimney so hopefully we'll be okay this year.

This must be scary experience, glad I decided go ahead secure these woodstove pipe with screws. Worth little effort for this.

This is one reason why I don't want any glass window on woodstove, if it cracks and stove pipe broke off. Then it will be disastrous!

Yes it was a very scary experience and I was so happy there was no fire ! . My landlord was a city guy and had no idea what he was doing! When he made his dirt road the guy did not dig any trenches on his road so when it rain water would not wash it away! So when winter come we get a lot of rain, so the rain water was running right down the middle of the dirt road and washing it away.
I had to moved off the road .
I hope you do not keep wet wood under your wood stove. I had a friend that did this , I when into her house and she was still sleeping and the wood under her wood stove was on fire!

Yeah, this is my first winter using my own woodstove all the way. I done got chimney sweeper and swept right before my surgery. So far I used half cord of firewood. Not bad so far.

I see you're in NY, too. We JUST finished 1/2 cord and had another 1/2 delivered so we're on the same pace. But we've been staying here full time and will go back to NYC next week and come back just on weekends for the rest of winter. So, hopefully that last 1/2 cord will last through late spring. Our house sits on big boulders which are quite cold. Great for keeping cool in summer, though!

5214263635_530e7f0a00_m.jpg

Aweesome, your in Catskills? Im in Fingers lake region. Yeah, this winter weather is unusual warm! Wish it would be colder than that so I can test how much my house needs firewood. So I can plan few years ahead getting free firewood as much as I can. I got 2 cords of free maple firewood. That saves me 600 dollars already.

I see you're in NY, too. We JUST finished 1/2 cord and had another 1/2 delivered so we're on the same pace. But we've been staying here full time and will go back to NYC next week and come back just on weekends for the rest of winter. So, hopefully that last 1/2 cord will last through late spring. Our house sits on big boulders which are quite cold. Great for keeping cool in summer, though!

5214263635_530e7f0a00_m.jpg

Like I said, I don't believe in cutting corners. I ban any firewood storage inside my house, period! Not just fire safety, it has to do with bugs and other shits in firewood. It stays outside until ready to burn.

Yes it was a very scary experience and I was so happy there was no fire ! . My landlord was a city guy and had no idea what he was doing! When he made his dirt road the guy did not dig any trenches on his road so when it rain water would not wash it away! So when winter come we get a lot of rain, so the rain water was running right down the middle of the dirt road and washing it away.
I had to moved off the road .
I hope you do not keep wet wood under your wood stove. I had a friend that did this , I when into her house and she was still sleeping and the wood under her wood stove was on fire!

Aweesome, your in Catskills? Im in Fingers lake region. Yeah, this winter weather is unusual warm! Wish it would be colder than that so I can test how much my house needs firewood. So I can plan few years ahead getting free firewood as much as I can. I got 2 cords of free maple firewood. That saves me 600 dollars already.

Yeah, we're near PA border in Sullivan County. Very warm this winter so far. Last winter we had just bought the house and had a week straight of below freezing temperatures. Then an earthquake in NYC, a hurricane and tornadoes. WILD weather!

I have mastered the art of maintaining 70 degree temps but I would still like to get little doorway fans (not sure what they're called) that help circulate the heat from room to room.

Cool! My house is so well insulated, I was not able to keep it 70, ended up 78-80 most of the time. My wife is happy about it so let it be. I figured out by changing the cold air intake system. Actually add one in where the woodstove is. It was perfect funneled into that new cold air intake. I turned on furnace fan, viola whole house became toasty warm. Works like charm!

How far from Binghamton?

Yeah, we're near PA border in Sullivan County. Very warm this winter so far. Last winter we had just bought the house and had a week straight of below freezing temperatures. Then an earthquake in NYC, a hurricane and tornadoes. WILD weather!

I have mastered the art of maintaining 70 degree temps but I would still like to get little doorway fans (not sure what they're called) that help circulate the heat from room to room.

As far as I know, there is none built in strobe. Mine is pretty much customized built with plenty of relays including some with time delay and whatever. I use Kidde carbon detectors. It is now tied to my doorbell/videophone signal system with seamless alert system meaning it remains invisible until it went off and one will know and say oh awesome! There are distinctive flashing pattern, Deaf will easily recognize them since I am Deaf and know which pattern should apply.

This system I have is very expensive to install and design. I think I spent over $1,000 (Not including Gentex smoke detectors) on it. Even though it is expensive but in long term it will be real cheap to maintain because these carbon monoxide alarm has life expectancy up to 10 years. My Carbon Monoxide by Kidde has 7 years, so when I need to replace it, will cost me only 20 dollars comparing to Deaf Catalong which would force one to replace whole thing at premium cost. The rest should last my lifetime.

Remember, I am certified Electrician and know how to get it work properly with strictly compliance on building codes. I do not believe in cutting corners, it is not worth the risks.

I kinda regret that I have smoke alarm made by Gentex. They don't make carbon monoxide alarm and I am not sure if they finally market them yet. If I knew about Kidde, I would have use their smoke detectors tied together and get rid of stupid strobes. I personally hate strobes with passion, first it is ugly mount! Secondly the strobe itself sometimes startle me easily and I don't like being startle. Good old fashion Thomas Edison's light bulb is great and perfect for me.

I personally don't like to buy any detectors because almost all of them are made in China which aren't last that long. Even, I hate to have one because it contains a small amount of radioactive in it - a small silver aluminum cylinder inside the detector - the reason is that it is running in 24 hours a day with the small amount of radioactive in the air that we live inside the house. You guys can find that info on Google "smoke detector radioactive". I don't think that it is a good idea to have it in the bedrooms. Hallways and stairways are all right which is better than sorry in case of fire/carbon.

Oh boy, that's good you made your own design. I wish that I am an electrician. Darn it, but I am chicken to work with the wires in case I forget to unplug or turn the entire power off. Bam I became a superman. Just kidding. By the way, I have two regular Kiddes for both smoke and carbon.
It has a funny name for Kidde that reminds me of saying "kidding me".

Last edited:
Mister Biker....

Thank you for reminding me of my wonderful childhood full of fireplaces and wood burning stoves! I've half forgotten about it. (And shame on me for forgetting it!)

*Note to self* Future homes must have wood burning stoves and fire places.

Anyone ready for this winter time, eh?

I am! 5.6 cords of firewood, that's equivalent to 17 face cord Enough to last me almost 2 years. I still had no trouble finding free firewood though Craigslist. All of them are hardwood. I refused softwood or pine trees.
I can't believe two of my friends wants me cut down their maple trees next month.
IMAG0577.jpg

Plenty to keep warm and no worry about heating bills. Woot!

I got a lot of trees to get down, but cant afford to get the 2 monster oaks down yet $1000 and $1200 for each, but they will make enough firewood for a few years of constant burning over the winters. I got Oaks, Cherry, Apple and who knows what the mix is out front? Several dead trees ready for burning but the majority needs to season after cutting.

You don't have chain saw? Get ECHO, I love Echo chain saw, they are bit cheaper than Stihl But Stihl is good for heavy duty and heavy usage, Echo, just good enough because I don't do often. I plan buy another one, bigger one, keep smaller one and replace it with shorter bar for more cutting power.
These trees u just mentioned is excellent firewood. I love Cherry and Apple. sniff sniff ahhhh

I got a lot of trees to get down, but cant afford to get the 2 monster oaks down yet $1000 and $1200 for each, but they will make enough firewood for a few years of constant burning over the winters. I got Oaks, Cherry, Apple and who knows what the mix is out front? Several dead trees ready for burning but the majority needs to season after cutting.

You don't have chain saw? Get ECHO, I love Echo chain saw, they are bit cheaper than Stihl But Stihl is good for heavy duty and heavy usage, Echo, just good enough because I don't do often. I plan buy another one, bigger one, keep smaller one and replace it with shorter bar for more cutting power.
These trees u just mentioned is excellent firewood. I love Cherry and Apple. sniff sniff ahhhh
Ohhhhh I got a chainsaw...lol and I know how to use it too, but there 2 trees I want dowm are beyond my experience..
The one to the right that's in the rear, and there is another monster in front directly ahead of that one, both tower the house, the front one is more massive than the rear tree, both are hugh Oaks.

Attachments

• trees026.jpg
    trees026.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 9
Can, with right ladder, cut off one at a time from half way up down. I undy if your uncomfortable.
I was forced to cut down tall maple tree that was once stood about 15 feet away from my house, half of it was fallen and lean on my house I had to buy chain saw and cut it up then gave to my friend. That was long before I got woodstove. I figured, if I pay deductible, it would cost more than chain saw itelf, and I could done with tree without worry about my homeowners insurance from going up. Friend of mine told me their insurance premium gone up after they called Insurance and have them pay for tree service clean up after fall on her property. She was so mad.

Ohhhhh I got a chainsaw...lol and I know how to use it too, but there 2 trees I want dowm are beyond my experience..
The one to the right that's in the rear, and there is another monster in front directly ahead of that one, both tower the house, the front one is more massive than the rear tree, both are hugh Oaks.

Can, with right ladder, cut off one at a time from half way up down. I undy if your uncomfortable.
I was forced to cut down tall maple tree that was once stood about 15 feet away from my house, half of it was fallen and lean on my house I had to buy chain saw and cut it up then gave to my friend. That was long before I got woodstove. I figured, if I pay deductible, it would cost more than chain saw itelf, and I could done with tree without worry about my homeowners insurance from going up. Friend of mine told me their insurance premium gone up after they called Insurance and have them pay for tree service clean up after fall on her property. She was so mad.
If they claimed it as an act of god ( due to storm) it wouldn't cost them, but if it fell and they just needed help to dispose of it yes, it would cost them. I asked my adjuster about the one in back as it has been hit by lightning but they wouldn't pay to have it taken down, I also told him that if the next storm knocks it into the house it is on record with them that they failed to remove a hazard as they seen it themselves and refuse to do anything with it and it is included in my policy. they paid me for the little hail damage I have on roof and siding, but refused to work with me on the tree(s) that are so close to the house and overhanging.
Im not brave enough anymore, but I once thought I was invincible til my spinal injury... otherwise Id climb up and cut it myself....lol

I undy, not sure of severity of your spinal injury. I have bad back, but I would climb. I found out that if I sit and do nothing, the pain increases. So, if I do things like cutting and splitting, pain goes away. Im not sure why, but the caveat is if I overdo, and want to rest, back is going kill me. So, I go slowly doing things like that one at a time. It impact me much less, including the neck injury I have from work. My neck injury only happens when I sit too long. I found out that about a month and half ago after traveling in car, my neck pain went though the roof.

If they claimed it as an act of god ( due to storm) it wouldn't cost them, but if it fell and they just needed help to dispose of it yes, it would cost them. I asked my adjuster about the one in back as it has been hit by lightning but they wouldn't pay to have it taken down, I also told him that if the next storm knocks it into the house it is on record with them that they failed to remove a hazard as they seen it themselves and refuse to do anything with it and it is included in my policy. they paid me for the little hail damage I have on roof and siding, but refused to work with me on the tree(s) that are so close to the house and overhanging.
Im not brave enough anymore, but I once thought I was invincible til my spinal injury... otherwise Id climb up and cut it myself....lol

Back