Woman faces death penalty in S.D.

EagleCherokee63

Reaction score
First woman faces death penalty in S.D. - Yahoo! News

capt.c9de17ec509049d4b5b59811f830e477.dismemberment_trial_wxs103.jpg

The three women were deaf!

The three women were deaf and knew each other through the deaf community.

How sad!

First woman faces death penalty in S.D.

040307sddeathpenalty;_ylt=AsiSE33mAoYlorp9V.qY9O9H2ocA

By CARSON WALKER, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 2, 4:42 PM ET

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Jealousy drove a woman to kill her lover's friend, then dismember her body with a chain saw and burn it, a prosecutor said Monday as he opened South Dakota's first death penalty trial against a female.
ADVERTISEMENT

Defense attorneys argued there was not enough evidence to convict Daphne Wright, 43, who is charged with kidnapping and murdering Darlene VanderGiesen. VanderGiesen's bone fragments were found in the basement of Wright's Sioux Falls home.

Wright became upset when her girlfriend, Sallie Collins, befriended VanderGiesen, 42, prosecutor Dave Nelson told jurors. "The reason for this murder? Jealousy," he said.

Collins and VanderGiesen were platonic friends, Nelson said.

"In her words, she felt Darlene was trying to destroy her relationship with Sallie," Nelson said. "There was no romantic relationship between Darlene and Sallie. They were friends."

Wright was arrested 10 days after VanderGiesen disappeared Feb. 1, 2006.

Nelson said the evidence included a receipt that Wright bought an electric chain saw two days after VanderGiesen disappeared. Another receipt indicates she also bought black garbage bags found with the body, he said.

Parts of VanderGiesen's body were found in the Sioux Falls landfill and in a ditch near Hills, Minn.

Evidence indicates VanderGiesen died either of suffocation or a blow to the head or both, Nelson said.

"Within hours of disposing of Darlene VanderGiesen's remains the night before, this defendant embraced Darlene's mother, hugged her, and said she was sorry she was missing and told Darlene's mother that she would pray for her return," he said.

Sign language interpreters communicated the courtroom dialogue to Wright. A large screen showed the court reporter's transcription to audience members, many of whom are deaf.

Defense attorney Traci Smith said the evidence only focuses on what happened after VanderGiesen died and none of it would prove Wright kidnapped or killed her.

"I would ask only that you consider the state's motive in relying so heavily on this information when it has no bearing on how Darlene was killed," she said. "You will only hear speculation as to what may have caused the fatal injury to Darlene's skull."

Smith said e-mails suggested Wright called VanderGiesen derogatory names because of her weight but that does not constitute a motive for murder.

"These childish words have been spun into the death threat which gave rise to the state's theory of their case," Smith said.

Four men are on death row in South Dakota, which has not had an execution in 60 years.

How sad!

First woman faces death penalty in S.D.

040307sddeathpenalty;_ylt=AsiSE33mAoYlorp9V.qY9O9H2ocA

By CARSON WALKER, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 2, 4:42 PM ET

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Jealousy drove a woman to kill her lover's friend, then dismember her body with a chain saw and burn it, a prosecutor said Monday as he opened South Dakota's first death penalty trial against a female.
ADVERTISEMENT

Defense attorneys argued there was not enough evidence to convict Daphne Wright, 43, who is charged with kidnapping and murdering Darlene VanderGiesen. VanderGiesen's bone fragments were found in the basement of Wright's Sioux Falls home.

Wright became upset when her girlfriend, Sallie Collins, befriended VanderGiesen, 42, prosecutor Dave Nelson told jurors. "The reason for this murder? Jealousy," he said.

Collins and VanderGiesen were platonic friends, Nelson said.

"In her words, she felt Darlene was trying to destroy her relationship with Sallie," Nelson said. "There was no romantic relationship between Darlene and Sallie. They were friends."

Wright was arrested 10 days after VanderGiesen disappeared Feb. 1, 2006.

Nelson said the evidence included a receipt that Wright bought an electric chain saw two days after VanderGiesen disappeared. Another receipt indicates she also bought black garbage bags found with the body, he said.

Parts of VanderGiesen's body were found in the Sioux Falls landfill and in a ditch near Hills, Minn.

Evidence indicates VanderGiesen died either of suffocation or a blow to the head or both, Nelson said.

"Within hours of disposing of Darlene VanderGiesen's remains the night before, this defendant embraced Darlene's mother, hugged her, and said she was sorry she was missing and told Darlene's mother that she would pray for her return," he said.

Sign language interpreters communicated the courtroom dialogue to Wright. A large screen showed the court reporter's transcription to audience members, many of whom are deaf.

Defense attorney Traci Smith said the evidence only focuses on what happened after VanderGiesen died and none of it would prove Wright kidnapped or killed her.

"I would ask only that you consider the state's motive in relying so heavily on this information when it has no bearing on how Darlene was killed," she said. "You will only hear speculation as to what may have caused the fatal injury to Darlene's skull."

Smith said e-mails suggested Wright called VanderGiesen derogatory names because of her weight but that does not constitute a motive for murder.

"These childish words have been spun into the death threat which gave rise to the state's theory of their case," Smith said.

Four men are on death row in South Dakota, which has not had an execution in 60 years.

Ouch, I know that you are feel bad about her and don't forget to call to God then they will work out for you.

It's not my type to execute people in death row, that sad for them.

Ouch, I know that you are feel bad about her and don't forget to call to God then they will work out for you.

It's not my type to execute people in death row, that sad for them.

You believe in God, now? Just curious. No offense.

And....She deserve to get death sentence in my opinion. Geez....murder a guy for jealousy.....

And....She deserve to get death sentence in my opinion. Geez....murder a guy for jealousy.....

No, I'm talking about EagleCherokee.

Not a guy a woman that she killed.

Yea jealously is not worth to put up with.

Killing someone due to jealousy is beyond me, really. Deaf or not, she deserves the death penalty.

According to The Social Process Theory, everyone regardless race, gender and class, has the potential to become delinquents or criminals. I don't care if s/he isdeaf or not, s/he had killed somebody and s/he deserved it, pronto.

Jealously is more powerful in controlling of individual's mind which wants to have someone in his/her way! But Jealous can lead anyone to hurt person or kill person.

To my opinion, That person who murdered the innocent lady should be putting a death row on her as deserved to be death! Because she used saw chain to murder her as "TEXAS SAW CHAIN" is very horror and extremely movie with bloodish! THAT IS VERY SICKO!

If a person is going to handle jealousy issues like that, they shouldn't even be here.

Sure, I get jealous of a lot of things... but that doesn't mean I'm going to do stupid things over it. I am who I am. If it happens, it happens.

If a person is going to handle jealousy issues like that, they shouldn't even be here.

Sure, I get jealous of a lot of things... but that doesn't mean I'm going to do stupid things over it. I am who I am. If it happens, it happens.

if anyone who has problem with jealousy issue, need to learn how to control jealous emotion and overcome it as you can do it. But that lady was out of control with jealously then end up with her life in prison for death row!

We all can handle jealously by our feeling and know it is not easy to do it! We feel like "MINE" and "ME" and "MY" "I" and feel being a selfish and greedy to do something!

My ex-wife and her 2 lesbian roommates. The story could repeat.

Richard

Some people already question the fairness of the trial. The acommodations Daphne's getting is far more than what I was afforded in my previous courtroom experiences.

Richard

Back