Woman charged after giving bourbon to teething baby

rockin'robin

Reaction score
An Arkansas mother is accused of giving liquor to a baby.

>> Read more trending stories

Authorities say she faces child endangerment charges after giving her 10-month-old son bourbon in a bottle Wednesday.

KATV reports that Lori Sheppard, 28, told police she was trying to relieve her son's teething pain.

The boy and his two siblings were later put into the custody of the Department of Human Services.
- See more at: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/n...ving-bourbon-baby/npMD5/#sthash.N6wydfQK.dpuf

I bet the family been doing this for generations , my mom said a little alcohol was rubbed on the baby gum to help with teething pain. You don't give it to the baby to drink . I guess the mom never heard of a teething ring . :roll:

The Victorians used to dope their kids with gin and opiates all the time. They even made laudanum drops for babies.

It old fashioned thing my grandma said I had whisky in my bottle when cried that may well explain a lot...gripe water got alcohol in it..
Not good thing but she wont be last person to do that,maybe if someone helped her with parenting skills I used have nip of whisky then breast feed when end of teacher with my son
I just had thing come up about trending stories never seen that before

It old fashioned thing my grandma said I had whisky in my bottle when cried that may well explain a lot...gripe water got alcohol in it..
Not good thing but she wont be last person to do that,maybe if someone helped her with parenting skills I used have nip of whisky then breast feed when end of teacher with my son
I just had thing come up about trending stories never seen that before

Yup , this is old fashion does anyone remeber seeing a bottle of paregoric in the bathroom medicine cabinet ? I once got a toothache when I was teenager and found an old bottle of paregoric in our medicine cabinet
and rubbed some on my tooth , I guess I used too much and got a little buzz of it. I don't think you can buy this anymore b/c people were trying to get high on it. I am sure the mother didn't think she was doing anything wrong , if her kids were being well taken care of otherwise
they shouldn't been taken away from her.

She must be a very dumb mother....it's 2015....and there are other things for babies who are teething and in pain....giving a baby or even children alcohol isn't right....

I remember too. a lady who put beer into the baby's bottle...and some mothers used Bendryl to make the baby go to sleep....

She must be a very dumb mother....it's 2015....and there are other things for babies who are teething and in pain....giving a baby or even children alcohol isn't right....

I remember too. a lady who put beer into the baby's bottle...and some mothers used Bendryl to make the baby go to sleep....

I really bet this was pass down from generation to generation . I can remeber when my dad cut his hand really dad and mom wanted to put some Iodine on it . Dad had his own family treatment he open the wound and poured some salt on it and had our German Shepherd lick it off for him. This is what they did in Russia , I was surprised that cut healed OK b/c it was deep.

Did they ever say how much alcohol she put in there? If it's just a little bit i've always heard that it just sothes the baby to sleep and helps with the teething pain. I don't have any children of my own but when my niece and nephew where teething that seemed like a special kind of pain, and not being able to help them is awful so I can understand where she would come from however, there is a difference between a tiny bit to try and help and putting an excessive amount and causing harm to your child.

I've read that people used alcohol for teething babies but I've never known anyone who did it. I never heard anyone in my family suggest it. I asked TCS about it, and he never heard of it.

I've read that people used alcohol for teething babies but I've never known anyone who did it. I never heard anyone in my family suggest it. I asked TCS about it, and he never heard of it.

People use Orajel all the time for teething and its 54% alcohol.

Im not quite clear whats deal with this, how did this land to such charges? It didn't mention how much alcohol was given to baby, did baby got injury or overdose?

This doesn't sounds right, so I'm not going comment whether against what she done or support her case.

I would agree to the charges if the baby suffered further injury where requires medical attention, and that part didn't include the story so :dunno:

When my oldest was baby, he started teething in the middle of the night. Where I lived nothing was open. He was in so much pain I did put some alcohol on my finger and put some on his gums. However, I have never put it in a bottle and since have ensured that I had a lot of oralgel in my cabinet. It works for a quick fix, but I am lost on putting in a bottle idea.

I use that all the ,worth having tooth ache for.i wonder why I got good night sleep.They making weaker one and that one not so good.
Use be this old lady who went in chemist bought 2 bottles of gripe water everyday she swear it helped her chemist no heart tell her she was getting smashed everyday No wonder it helped my babies.
this lady seems a bit daft though

http://www.rxlist.com/paregoric-drug.htm

Paregoric is 45% alcohol and you use to be able to buy it in drugs stores , it was used to put on babies gum when teething. I really feel the mother should had been told not to give her baby alcohol anymore. If was the only thing the mom did wrong there was no needs to take her kids away from her. And there was 2mg of opium in paregoric no wonder people were trying to get high on it.

Seriously? I have some in my purse but my eyes are going and I can't read the fine print with the ingredients. I need my reading glasses but they're at home. I would never have guessed at the 54% alcohol!

Seriously? I have some in my purse but my eyes are going and I can't read the fine print with the ingredients. I need my reading glasses but they're at home. I would never have guessed at the 54% alcohol!

I read it on an ingredient list, but i don't have any to actually do a fact check.

There got been more to it if took other kids away.If baby knocking it back everyday someone must been worried and she doing it for everyone to see.My own view pIf can't do someone favour then don't do them harm.Was this woman at end of teather needed sleep then someone should helped plus parenting lessons..If mum knocking it back with baby then mum defiantly needs birth control ,I think that should compulsory

Back