Woke up not being able to hear 5 days ago

floridadude

Reaction score
I woke up Saturday morning not being able to hear out of my good ear (my right ear). Went to my audiologist on Monday and it was discovered my hearing had decreased to profound. With my hearing aid in, I can hear vibrations of sounds but not actually distinguish what that sound is.

It's petrifying. I don't know what happened. I went to bed hearing fine, woke up not being able to hear. Haven't been to work all week and am concerned that I have to quit my job and give up my car. Not just that, but also my friends and social life and independence. I'm scared of what's going to happen and that I'll have to live the rest of my life this way. My head is in a million places. I've been so depressed and have barely eaten or drank anything these last several days. I've contemplated suicide but am hesitant due to family and religious beliefs. I just want my hearing back.

One advice

Don't be quick to quit your job and sell your car!!

Take your time and get used to it but since you already have a job, they cannot fire you or make you quit just cause you are deaf. Also just cause you are deaf doesn't mean you can't drive. Just gotta learn how to use your eyes more instead of listening.

Now that it has been said,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with sudden deafness. I can't imagine what it must be like for you. Hope you find ways to deal with it and to find resources you need to learn how to deal with this.

I woke up Saturday morning not being able to hear out of my good ear (my right ear). Went to my audiologist on Monday and it was discovered my hearing had decreased to profound. With my hearing aid in, I can hear vibrations of sounds but not actually distinguish what that sound is.

It's petrifying. I don't know what happened. I went to bed hearing fine, woke up not being able to hear. Haven't been to work all week and am concerned that I have to quit my job and give up my car. Not just that, but also my friends and social life and independence. I'm scared of what's going to happen and that I'll have to live the rest of my life this way. My head is in a million places. I've been so depressed and have barely eaten or drank anything these last several days. I've contemplated suicide but am hesitant due to family and religious beliefs. I just want my hearing back.

I feel for you. Did you go to an ENT? Usually they run tests when it’s sudden. I know what you are going through. A few years ago I lost my hearing after having meningitis. It is life changing. If you need someone to chat with pm me. I was angry, depressed, and even suicidial. Just know, that it does get better. Being deaf doesn’t mean you can’t do stuff it just means you do stuff differently. Curious did your audiologist recommend cochlear implants?

First of all, this happened to me for the first time 33 years ago when I was 14 years old. I too, felt like it was the end of the world. I'm here to tell you that it is not. Calm down! I am hoping that I can save you the year of hell that I went through when this happened to me the first time. Yes, I say the first time because it has happened to me twice. The first time when I was 14, the second when I was in my 30's. It is not the end of the world. You do not have to quit your job or lose your car. First, see if you can qualify for a medical leave of absence. If you can, then I suggest going to see an ENT in the interim. Get more answers.

Do not commit suicide, it is not the end of the world. It is an adjustment but not the end of the world.This will be a test though to see who your real friends are. Those that really care about you will understand. They will write notes for you, they will learn signs with you. They will make sure that you understand them. You will actually develop an even better social life once you learn signs if you don't already know them. There is a big community out there of deaf people that you will come to know and many of them could become friends. Try to look at this as not a door closing on your old life but a door opening to admit a whole new life as well as the old one. Many of us who were latened deaf still have our old hearing friends but now we also have the benefit of our deaf ones as well.

Once you change your perspective on what you are losing to what you are gaining it will be easier to accept. Losing your hearing or any sense feels almost the same as a death. You will have to go through the stages of grief till you get to acceptance. If you need to talk, I am here. If you need advice we are all here. If you just need a non judgmental shoulder to cry on, I am here. You will get past this. It's just a matter of time and going through the steps. Good luck!

I am so very sorry! You have been given some good advice and wisdom above. We are here for you! You are not alone. You CAN enjoy a full life without hearing, many people here do. And for late deafened adults, cochlear implants can be very beneficial. I understand the overwhelming grief of losing one’s hearing. I also lost mine. Hang in there and let us know how we can help you.

That sucks, Floridadude. How was your hearing prior to that?

I lost all the hearing (in my bad ear) overnight a few weeks ago. My “good” ear is a 110bB loss. My bad ear is just gone. If you haven’t seen an ENT please do so. They may try steroid injections directly into the eardrum. This seems to help in some cases, though it didn’t for me.

How’s the other ear? Do you wear HA’s?

Sorry that you’re going through this, but you’re not alone even though I’m sure it seems that way.

My hearing was moderate to severe prior but I could hear okay with my hearing aid. I am deaf in my left ear.

That sucks, Floridadude. How was your hearing prior to that?

I lost all the hearing (in my bad ear) overnight a few weeks ago. My “good” ear is a 110bB loss. My bad ear is just gone. If you haven’t seen an ENT please do so. They may try steroid injections directly into the eardrum. This seems to help in some cases, though it didn’t for me.

How’s the other ear? Do you wear HA’s?

Sorry that you’re going through this, but you’re not alone even though I’m sure it seems that way.

My hearing in my right ear was moderate to severe but I could hear okay with my hearing aid. I could hear sounds pretty clearly. Went to an ent today and he prescribed me steroids. Just took the first batch of it. The ent doctor said he doesn't know what caused my hearing loss.

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your hearing as well. It's truly frightening to go through. Hopefully one day stem cell treatment will be readily available in the near future to cure hearing loss and deafness.

CIs could be an option!

Right. @floridadude, did your ENT doc mention this at all? When I lost my left ear overnight the ENT immediately brought that up as an option. Given your situation I'd look into it even if it's not something that you think you'd like to do today. It would be a big step and the first part of it is getting yourself comfortable with the idea of a CI. .

Any progress with the steroids? It can take some time. I had the injections and had some improvement in environmental sound after 3 weeks or so. Unfortunately nothing usable, but hopefully you'll have better results.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. It's so damn scary to go through this.

I have considered the possibility of getting cochlear implants if things don't improve. My audiologist didn't suggest it but will try it I guess.

I am so very sorry! You have been given some good advice and wisdom above. We are here for you! You are not alone. You CAN enjoy a full life without hearing, many people here do. And for late deafened adults, cochlear implants can be very beneficial. I understand the overwhelming grief of losing one’s hearing. I also lost mine. Hang in there and let us know how we can help you.

Thanks what scares me most is the socialization aspect and being only 25, I may have 50 to 60 years left to live.

First of all, this happened to me for the first time 33 years ago when I was 14 years old. I too, felt like it was the end of the world. I'm here to tell you that it is not. Calm down! I am hoping that I can save you the year of hell that I went through when this happened to me the first time. Yes, I say the first time because it has happened to me twice. The first time when I was 14, the second when I was in my 30's. It is not the end of the world. You do not have to quit your job or lose your car. First, see if you can qualify for a medical leave of absence. If you can, then I suggest going to see an ENT in the interim. Get more answers.

Do not commit suicide, it is not the end of the world. It is an adjustment but not the end of the world.This will be a test though to see who your real friends are. Those that really care about you will understand. They will write notes for you, they will learn signs with you. They will make sure that you understand them. You will actually develop an even better social life once you learn signs if you don't already know them. There is a big community out there of deaf people that you will come to know and many of them could become friends. Try to look at this as not a door closing on your old life but a door opening to admit a whole new life as well as the old one. Many of us who were latened deaf still have our old hearing friends but now we also have the benefit of our deaf ones as well.

Once you change your perspective on what you are losing to what you are gaining it will be easier to accept. Losing your hearing or any sense feels almost the same as a death. You will have to go through the stages of grief till you get to acceptance. If you need to talk, I am here. If you need advice we are all here. If you just need a non judgmental shoulder to cry on, I am here. You will get past this. It's just a matter of time and going through the steps. Good luck!

Losing hearing is definitely like a death. It's so emotionally disturbing what happened. I'm worried my friends won't want to be friends with me anymore. the lack of socialization and being able to communicate with other more freely is what I'm petrified of. I feel nauseated about this whole thing. don't have much appetite to eat anything.

I been to ent doctor but doesn't know what caused it and gave me steroids.

So at 14, you lost your hearing and then gained it back?

No, not in the sense you are thinking of. I heard again through the use of hearing aids but I was never to be fully hearing again.

If your friends do not want to be friends with you anymore because of the simple loss of your hearing then I would evaluate who I want as friends then. True friends would never leave your side over something like this. I made the mistake of shutting my hearing friends out for a whole year. I refused to speak to anyone including family. All I did was lay on the couch reading all day, depressed, and withdrew in my own little world. I was lucky that after I came out of it and decided to rejoin life that my friends were still there.

I understand every fear you are speaking of, I have been there. This is all normal but I am here to tell ya that communication is not at an end. There are many many free sign language videos online for you to watch to be able to learn to sign. Or, if you would rather, most local colleges have sign classes as well. I suggest you get started on learning to sign. You will be surprised on how much your social life opens up once you do.

You could also look into a Cochlear Implant option. I would take the time though to adjust to your new reality before making any profound decisions such as this. When you are already reeling from a loss, its not ideal to make decisions such as a CI. Ci's can help but when you are suffering from a loss such as yours. You start looking for that miracle *cure* and a CI isnt that.

Just know that you are not alone. Take a look around this site. Practically, everyone here suffers from hearing loss. We all vary in degrees and we all vary in opinions. However, there is one thing you will find, it is not the end of the road but the beginning.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. It's so damn scary to go through this.

I have considered the possibility of getting cochlear implants if things don't improve. My audiologist didn't suggest it but will try it I guess.

I lost my hearing to Meniere's Disease. I got my first cochlear implant in May of this year. I am 61, and am a late deafened adult. I have two adult sons, 30 and 27. I am so sorry you have to go through this at such a young age, and I am sad for you, as I would be if this happened to one of my sons. If I can ever help you, feel free to private message me on this forum.

I am experiencing good success with my cochlear implant, but....the outcome varies considerably among people. Read up on the CI, as this might be something that might be a possibility in the future if you are deemed to be a good candidate. And Bear is right, above, a CI is not a miracle "cure", but it can be a great thing for some people.

Meanwhile, I live in an area where there are quite a few meetings for the deaf and hard of hearing. Maybe you can find some support locally. And there are some very good sites online where you can learn ASL.

Don't ever give up! You are young, and have your whole life before you. You now have to walk through a different door, a new door, and life will be different. But you have resources to help you succeed in this life.....ASL and a possible CI are two of those. And there are captioned phones, text messaging, many things are available today for the hard of hearing and the deaf......wonderful things that didn't exist 100 years ago. We have so much support today to make our lives good.

So hang in there! We are here for you!

Last edited:
Thanks what scares me most is the socialization aspect and being only 25, I may have 50 to 60 years left to live.

Oh, being only 25 is actually great. You can still learn sign language, get a few signing friends and use interpreters. If you bring your closest family to signing lessons you will eventually get a decent social context.

Losing hearing does have such an impact on social relations, but if you are prepared to do some work and advocate, learn sign, get CI, use CART, convince friends to use text chat with you, you will be able to connect with people. Not everyone will understand and will be prepared to accommodate or support you, but there definitely are a lot of people out there who will want to communicate with you.

Irregardless what will happen to your hearing now, look for Deaf role models, and see that there are other people out there who lost hearing as adults, other Deaf people with good jobs and a nice family life. Look into how they have overcome issues. You are definitely not alone about this.

As for all the problems that come with not hearing, accept them. Some things you cannot change and some people will have negative attitudes. Grieve them, and then go on with your life. Hearing is important, but life is just so much more than that.

If this had happened to me at 25, I actually think I would have gone to community college for a full time sign language course for a year or two. I’m 40 now, just HoH, but feel so much more secure after learning to sign. Even if I don’t get a hearing life back, I still feel I have an efficient communication tool.

Remember also that you have an advantage compared to those born Deaf. You can easily compensate by reading and writing. You do have those language skills for free, so use that and develop those skills.

Hugs and good luck!

I was 18 when I lost my hearing. I'm 20 now. For two long years I was angry and bitter. I was suppose to go away to college but then got sick and couldn't go. My life was turned upside down. My friends all went away to college. I got left behind. When I came home from the hospital all my friends wanted to see me. I didn't have a ton but the ones I had were close. I was so scared and angry I pushed everyone away. I refused to see anyone. I isolated myself in my room and refused to go out of my house. Everyone stopped coming by. They gave me what I wanted. I was alone and miserable by my own doing. The deafness didn't do this...I did this to myself.

My parents and brother started to learn sign language right away. I just couldn't accept this was going to my life. I didn't want any part of signing. I didn't want to be deaf. I struggle with understand and fought with God. Asking why me? I struggled with this for a long time. I could talk to my family and they would text me, then we went to a voice app. After two years my dad got in my face and told me no more. He said I had my time grieving and he would no longer use an app to communicate with his son. If I wanted to communicate with the family again I'd have to learn sign. This was the first time my mother cried in front of me. She was so grateful that the meningitis just took my hearing and nothing else because I almost died. In the beginning I wish I had died. I really did think my life was over. Seeing how my behavior affected my parents and brother was a real eye opener. All I thought about was me for two years and nothing else. It's gets old very fast living in one room and never going out. Let me tell you. After my dad giving that ultimatum I realized that I had to something. I didn't know what but I started with the audiologist.

I went to the audiologist and was evaluated for hearing aids. She said I had a significant loss and hearing aids wouldn't be powerful enough for me to gain any benefit. So she recommended cochlear implants. I had went through the process of being evaluated for CI. It is a process. It's a long process. It's not like hearing aids... you know your loss and get fitted with them. There are so many different things they evaluate for CI to make sure you are the right candidate. If you believe this will be your end all miracle cure they might not even consider you. Besides being physically able to use the CI they evaluate you mentally to see if you can handle it. Then there are the many test you have to pass as well. I went through the process. I didn't qualify. Again my own doing. I waited a very long time before I decided to do anything about my hearing loss. I had a lot of ossification and degeneration to the nerves and it ruled me out.

Being rejected from the CI should have sent me into a tail spin. It didn't though. I'm still angry and depressed at times I won't lie. I see a therapist to help with anxiety and panic attacks I have. I am learning sign language and every day it is getting easier. My parents no longer use an app to talk to me. We communicate in sign language. I feel connected again with my family. I was scared too in the beginning that I wouldn't be able to pick it up as I have cognitive issues as well. My life isn't perfect, far from it. I tell you all this because I was like you feeling helpless and hopeless. I didn't drive for two years because I was scared. I now am driving and go anywhere I want to. Being deaf isn't a death sentence even if it feels like it is. I'm still not that social and am working on it. I don't really hang out with anyone. But if you do have friends share with them how you feel and what you are going through. Please, don't do what I did and push everyone away. It doesn't help. I can tell you that for sure. The more people you surround yourself with the more support you can have. Like someone said here, if they are your true friends they will stand by you.

What really surprises me is that the ENT and audiologist didn't push CI right away with you. I know when people have sudden hearing loss they want to get in and FIX the problem right now. I know my ENT was like why did you wait so long. Are you now considering a CI? If you are you should go for an evaluation and see if you qualify. Once you qualify then you can think seriously if you want one. The first step is qualifying.

If you need to chat. I'm around. It will get better, give it some time and be patient with yourself.

I was 18 when I lost my hearing. I'm 20 now. For two long years I was angry and bitter. I was suppose to go away to college but then got sick and couldn't go. My life was turned upside down. My friends all went away to college. I got left behind. When I came home from the hospital all my friends wanted to see me. I didn't have a ton but the ones I had were close. I was so scared and angry I pushed everyone away. I refused to see anyone. I isolated myself in my room and refused to go out of my house. Everyone stopped coming by. They gave me what I wanted. I was alone and miserable by my own doing. The deafness didn't do this...I did this to myself.

My parents and brother started to learn sign language right away. I just couldn't accept this was going to my life. I didn't want any part of signing. I didn't want to be deaf. I struggle with understand and fought with God. Asking why me? I struggled with this for a long time. I could talk to my family and they would text me, then we went to a voice app. After two years my dad got in my face and told me no more. He said I had my time grieving and he would no longer use an app to communicate with his son. If I wanted to communicate with the family again I'd have to learn sign. This was the first time my mother cried in front of me. She was so grateful that the meningitis just took my hearing and nothing else because I almost died. In the beginning I wish I had died. I really did think my life was over. Seeing how my behavior affected my parents and brother was a real eye opener. All I thought about was me for two years and nothing else. It's gets old very fast living in one room and never going out. Let me tell you. After my dad giving that ultimatum I realized that I had to something. I didn't know what but I started with the audiologist.

I went to the audiologist and was evaluated for hearing aids. She said I had a significant loss and hearing aids wouldn't be powerful enough for me to gain any benefit. So she recommended cochlear implants. I had went through the process of being evaluated for CI. It is a process. It's a long process. It's not like hearing aids... you know your loss and get fitted with them. There are so many different things they evaluate for CI to make sure you are the right candidate. If you believe this will be your end all miracle cure they might not even consider you. Besides being physically able to use the CI they evaluate you mentally to see if you can handle it. Then there are the many test you have to pass as well. I went through the process. I didn't qualify. Again my own doing. I waited a very long time before I decided to do anything about my hearing loss. I had a lot of ossification and degeneration to the nerves and it ruled me out.

Being rejected from the CI should have sent me into a tail spin. It didn't though. I'm still angry and depressed at times I won't lie. I see a therapist to help with anxiety and panic attacks I have. I am learning sign language and every day it is getting easier. My parents no longer use an app to talk to me. We communicate in sign language. I feel connected again with my family. I was scared too in the beginning that I wouldn't be able to pick it up as I have cognitive issues as well. My life isn't perfect, far from it. I tell you all this because I was like you feeling helpless and hopeless. I didn't drive for two years because I was scared. I now am driving and go anywhere I want to. Being deaf isn't a death sentence even if it feels like it is. I'm still not that social and am working on it. I don't really hang out with anyone. But if you do have friends share with them how you feel and what you are going through. Please, don't do what I did and push everyone away. It doesn't help. I can tell you that for sure. The more people you surround yourself with the more support you can have. Like someone said here, if they are your true friends they will stand by you.

What really surprises me is that the ENT and audiologist didn't push CI right away with you. I know when people have sudden hearing loss they want to get in and FIX the problem right now. I know my ENT was like why did you wait so long. Are you now considering a CI? If you are you should go for an evaluation and see if you qualify. Once you qualify then you can think seriously if you want one. The first step is qualifying.

If you need to chat. I'm around. It will get better, give it some time and be patient with yourself.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Losing your hearing, especially so suddenly is traumatic and shocking. I am starting to feel a bit better about it. Been very emotional. Sometimes I feel okay with it, then I start feeling depressed about it. I try thinking to myself, at least I have my eye vision, I can walk, I have arms etc.

Been messaging my friends and family about it and they are all praying for me. It is nice to have people around who care but at the same time it's frustrating because it feels like no one truly understands what we're going through.

I have considered getting cochlear implants if my hearing doesn't get better. I'm concerned about destroying the residual hearing that I do have left. After the surgery, you have to wait a month before getting the implants activated. That's a long time and what if things don't go as well as planned? I read it can take up to a year to fully customize yourself with it, which means it may be a long and drawn out process. It's frightening and overwhelming not knowing what is going to happen.

Thanks for your encouraging words though. Glad to hear that your family has been more than willing to help you out through these times and have learned sign language for you. Having people who care really makes a world of difference.

Speaking of socialization aspect, the other thing that concerns me is dating. I really want to marry and have kids one day but I fear that hearing loss will put a damper on that. Also, not being able to make small talk with my co workers. I ain't been to work in the last week and not going back til the 12th at least. I'm petrified about going back and having to work with everyone.

Last edited:
Oh, being only 25 is actually great. You can still learn sign language, get a few signing friends and use interpreters. If you bring your closest family to signing lessons you will eventually get a decent social context.

Losing hearing does have such an impact on social relations, but if you are prepared to do some work and advocate, learn sign, get CI, use CART, convince friends to use text chat with you, you will be able to connect with people. Not everyone will understand and will be prepared to accommodate or support you, but there definitely are a lot of people out there who will want to communicate with you.

Irregardless what will happen to your hearing now, look for Deaf role models, and see that there are other people out there who lost hearing as adults, other Deaf people with good jobs and a nice family life. Look into how they have overcome issues. You are definitely not alone about this.

As for all the problems that come with not hearing, accept them. Some things you cannot change and some people will have negative attitudes. Grieve them, and then go on with your life. Hearing is important, but life is just so much more than that.

If this had happened to me at 25, I actually think I would have gone to community college for a full time sign language course for a year or two. I’m 40 now, just HoH, but feel so much more secure after learning to sign. Even if I don’t get a hearing life back, I still feel I have an efficient communication tool.

Remember also that you have an advantage compared to those born Deaf. You can easily compensate by reading and writing. You do have those language skills for free, so use that and develop those skills.

Hugs and good luck!
Yes there are lots of deaf actors and celebrities out there. I know of Marleen Martin who played on an episode of Seinfeld one time. In real life she is married with 4 kids. Another lady who was in the American beauty pageants is deaf and also is married with 4 kids. So seeing deaf people in the "mainstream" world living independent lives does give me some hope.

It's just going to be a major adjustment.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Losing your hearing, especially so suddenly is traumatic and shocking. I am starting to feel a bit better about it. Been very emotional. Sometimes I feel okay with it, then I start feeling depressed about it. I try thinking to myself, at least I have my eye vision, I can walk, I have arms etc.

Been messaging my friends and family about it and they are all praying for me. It is nice to have people around who care but at the same time it's frustrating because it feels like no one truly understands what we're going through.

I have considered getting cochlear implants if my hearing doesn't get better. I'm concerned about destroying the residual hearing that I do have left. After the surgery, you have to wait a month before getting the implants activated. That's a long time and what if things don't go as well as planned? I read it can take up to a year to fully customize yourself with it, which means it may be a long and drawn out process. It's frightening and overwhelming not knowing what is going to happen.

Thanks for your encouraging words though. Glad to hear that your family has been more than willing to help you out through these times and have learned sign language for you. Having people who care really makes a world of difference.

Speaking of socialization aspect, the other thing that concerns me is dating. I really want to marry and have kids one day but I fear that hearing loss will put a damper on that. Also, not being able to make small talk with my co workers. I ain't been to work in the last week and not going back til the 12th at least. I'm petrified about going back and having to work with everyone.

Getting a CI is a big deal. If you want one you really have to make a commitment (time and money) to work with it. If you are willing to do all the work that it requires then it would be worth it in the long run if it helps you. A month of waiting or even a year isn't long compared to a life of deafness. There are many pros and cons to getting one. How much residential hearing do you have left? First step if you are serious is to be evaluated and then you can actually decide.

Yeah, dating concerns me too. What kind of work do you do? Do you need hearing to do your job or can your job be modified?

Back