Why?

You know, it's funny , because Jillio you seem to come off as the end all know all of Deaf culture and community and I take great offense to that. At time your responses are downright arrogant to parents who have implanted their children.While I think, (and you always seem to bash my 2 cents) some of these parents are looking for a "cure" or a denial one their child's deafness- the majority of parents I have encountered are truly invovled in their children's lives. There is no easy road map of raising a child- any child- and we all will make mistakes. But the mistakes aren't made because we didn't care. The claims that some of these parents have made regarding their child's progress I complteley believe...I've seen it in my very own child. I never thought that my child would be as successful as he is today. And no, he doesn't spend hours at speech therapy every week...He is a child with a hearing loss- his deafness does not define him- he defines his deafness. My experiences, while not like yours, are just as valuable, and I DO live in the Deaf world every single day...I do have a son who is implanted, but my parents are Deaf... I learned to sign before I learned to speak... my son has Deaf uncles and aunts... and with all this, I still chose to have my son implanted...

Shel: I wish there were more TOD's like you out there, but unfortunately, where I am (there are 3 Deaf schools around me) you would be the minority- not the majority. I used to be a job coach for Deaf High School students. It used to break my heart with the stories I have heard and witnessed over the years. Parents even saying to me "can you tell her/him..........." I would be appalled . But, like I have said earlier, parents that I've encountered that have had their children implanted, it's not the same... The communication barrier isn't just there....

My child is lucky... He had the best of both worlds and he is perfectly aware of who he is and how very very special he is.. My child has made a difference .. he has opened doors even in our own family... My dad broke down and cried when he saw my son singing ( albeit not very well, but none of my other 4 children can carry a tune either!) in a concert with his peers and then signing some of the words... My father's words" Wonderful, God gave us a wonderful boy" Then watched as he played the cello. He is in 3 grade... above grade level in every subject.. and has many many friends...This year especially- he has become the social butterfly....

I'm glad that your son is doing well but the ASL route is not for everyone, and that needs to be respected as well... it's a two way street and at times, I just feel that you are sooo set in your ways (like my mother) that you cannot just admit that there are successes!!

Again, go ahead and bash me.. you've done it before.... but I just felt compelled to write... you chastized cloggy for not living in the Deaf world, and hey I do.............My parents live 15 miles from me... My in-laws live 2 .. my Deaf nephew stays at my house almost every weekend............I could go on and on.............

WOW great posting

WOW great posting

First of all, jackie, I would refer you to my reply to the posting that you responded to. AND, before you can discuss Deaf culture you need to experience Deaf culture. other deaf children, You're only problem with me is that I have pointed out problems with the oral approach, and can cite empirical evidence to support my opposition tot he oral approach. That applies not only to my own son, but to other deaf children, as well. You have somehow gotten the mistaken idea that my opposition to the oral approach is a personal attack on you as a person. Are you really so insecure in your decisions that you can't stand a little criticism without having your self esteem destroyed? Grow up! And, if you want to engage in a discussion, how about answering some of the numerous questions that have been asked of you instead of ignoring them and jumping around looking for things you can have an emotional reaction to?

WOW great posting

Doubletrouble said that his child has the best of both worlds. That is what we want for ALL deaf/hoh children. We are NOT saying that no deaf/hoh child should never be exposed to spoken language.

I have said that for probably the thousandth time by now...*sighs*

Doubletrouble said that his child has the best of both worlds. That is what we want for ALL deaf/hoh children. We are NOT saying that no deaf/hoh child should never be exposed to spoken language.

I have said that for probably the thousandth time by now...*sighs*

I know! We have said itover and over and over, but they just don't seem to be capable of understanding the words.

I know! We have said itover and over and over, but they just don't seem to be capable of understanding the words.

I guess probably cuz we are very critical of the oral only approach and they see that only. :dunno:

who get over what?

This is Alex's thread...

If you don't like it, you can create your own thread, and name it
anyway you want to.

AllDeaf is fine. It is for all deaf people to chat and get to know each other.

We want to meet someone like ourselves.

We hang out with HEARING PEOPLE 24 hours a DAY and everyday.

And Deaf people get tired of hearing people come in and say, "Hi, I want to learn about deaf culture."

That is like going up to a Black group and tell them, "Hi, I want to
learn about black culture."

Come on, Hearing people, let the Deaf people spend some time alone
and get to know one another and have fun.

It's amazing to see a advertisement about live webcast of CI surgery in a thread called "Why?" eh

Attachments

• Picturec.png
    Picturec.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
*chuckles* I have learned not to notice ads anymore. Now it's like they don't exist for me. Maybe because I have chose black color to be my background, so some ads sort of disappers/blend into background or something.

But...oh the ironic!

This is Alex's thread...

If you don't like it, you can create your own thread, and name it
anyway you want to.

AllDeaf is fine. It is for all deaf people to chat and get to know each other.

We want to meet someone like ourselves.

We hang out with HEARING PEOPLE 24 hours a DAY and everyday.

And Deaf people get tired of hearing people come in and say, "Hi, I want to learn about deaf culture."

That is like going up to a Black group and tell them, "Hi, I want to
learn about black culture."

Come on, Hearing people, let the Deaf people spend some time alone
and get to know one another and have fun.

Maybe you need to read the original post.

That is exactly what you both do too. We are all guilty about just picking out certain things to suit our needs.

We are picking to ensure that no child gets deprived of a language...not to pick to meet our needs.

Yeah, picking and choosing whatever suits them instead of seeing the reality.

Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah, because it describes my mom, lol. But I know that there are a lot of parents out there who support their deaf children and try to do whatever's best for them. Not all parents of deaf kids are self-centered bitches.

Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah, because it describes my mom, lol. But I know that there are a lot of parents out there who support their deaf children and try to do whatever's best for them. Not all parents of deaf kids are self-centered bitches.

this is very true!

Back