Why Won’t They Get Hearing Aids?

GrayEagle

Reaction score
Why Won't They Get Hearing Aids? - NYTimes.com

I'm not sure I like the slant of this blog article. The assumption that only technology will "save" them kind of thing. I daresay actively learning ASL will keep the gray matter going, too... :naughty: The comments are interesting as well.

Comments? :hmm:

Why Won't They Get Hearing Aids? - NYTimes.com

I'm not sure I like the slant of this blog article. The assumption that only technology will "save" them kind of thing. I daresay actively learning ASL will keep the gray matter going, too... :naughty: The comments are interesting as well.

Comments? :hmm:

To be honest, I don't think we necessarily need to be offended by where this particular article is going. It is in reference to older hearing people who have lost or are losing their hearing. They are not d/Deaf and have not chosen to pursue the d/Deaf culture for themselves - they are simply hearing people who are losing/lost that hearing and being stubborn when it comes to taking measures to relieve some of the difficulties in living their hearing lives. It'd be one thing if they wanted to choose to become d/Deaf culturally and all... but since they typically remain culturally hearing, it only makes sense that they should make it easier on those around them by, you know, BEING hearing (wearing hearing aids). I hope this makes sense. I am having trouble articulating my thoughts on this.

Older people like my mother refused to wear hearing aids thinking they don't have a problem with their hearing loss. They are in denial and refuse to believe the other people are mumbling or not speak up enough to hear when they can not hear. Lily is right about that. How come I wear my hearing aid when I was a young girl? I don't really care to wear hearing aids back then. My mother force me to wear it. But years later with Alzheimer's Disease plus hearing loss, she refused to wear hearing aid. I was upset with her but not to her face. Now she had passed away years ago.

All I have to say is that they are in denial that they have lost their hearing as hearing people. :dunno:

Yeah....the oldies who become hard of hearing are reluctant to wear hearing aids for the most part....my Aunt was like that. We had to hollar in her ear and at times she would use a "trumpet"....:giggle:...and she misunderstood things all the time and would get "mad" at everybody.....

But today's HA's are much better (I believe), some are very small....then again, I've never worn a HA, but if it would help me to hear, yes, no matter if it weighed 50 lbs, I'd wear it!

My Grandma has hearing loss. Think aBout it. Many of them want to enjoy retirement. They don't want to run around to audiologists or hearing aid fittings. They're happy where they are.

My Grandma has hearing loss. Think aBout it. Many of them want to enjoy retirement. They don't want to run around to audiologists or hearing aid fittings. They're happy where they are.

That's true.....if it doesn't bother the elder, then leave them be. But there are many eldery that become depressed over hearing loss and don't want to admit it....usually, the elderly won't learn ASL and a lot of times, their vision is also affected. Wearing glasses is very common, then again some won't wear them either. So communication is very difficult for the family and most times, all the family wants to do is to make their lives better. But the bottom line is whether the elder wants to wear a HA or not.

I had eye surgery @ 3½ and wore glasses from then on. So, viva technology! :lol: Then, in my 40s, when my hearing dropped significantly so I had my hearing tested, and then got hearing aids, it was the same attitude for me. Viva technology! Bring it on! :P

I agree, that likely a lot of the people they are discussing in this article, lived all their lives in the hearing world. They have never learned ASL nor speech reading/lip reading, nor had to use hearing aids or contemplate surgery for a cochlear implant. So, for them, all their family & friends, are likely all hearing. To me, it seemed logical to accept and go after the technology. Hearing aids enabled me to continue working for another decade before I could no longer use a regular telephone and my employability went down hill. :| Affordability now will become an issue for me as my DH & I approach retirement, with a significant drop in income level. And perhaps even medical coverage. Hearing aids are not covered, never were, by health insurance. They won't be by Medicare, either. :( But cochlear implants may be, due to the surgery of it.

So, financial ability to pay for medical insurance for cochlear implants, or sufficient income to buy hearing aids can be a factor, for sure. So can pride and not wanting to face that one's body is failing. My dad went through that and refused to wear his aid even after he got one. He also refused to use closed captioning, as yet another symbol he was failing. So he snoozed in front of TV shows and could not follow them, unwilling to develop the skill it takes to read the captions. He could read well, read newspapers & magazines avidly, but captioning reading is a bit different and take some adaptation. He wasn't willing to do that. :( Because I had my aids much earlier, ego wasn't an issue with me. It's was just something I needed, like new glasses. Shrug. So I got 'em. Yet, still, if one is having trouble communicating with one's partner, friends, family, it doesn't make sense to me, to deny oneself a tool to help stay connected. Yet my dad, no matter how supportive I was (I was already wearing two hearing aids for some years by then) and how I explained how much easier it made my life, etc., he just saw it as another symbol he was getting old and refused to wear his. And he had recently had to give up driving, so he was upset about that, too. There is a lot of grief in the aging process, and sometimes people just rebel at having to face and deal with one more thing going wrong with their bodies. :-o And then the "hearing world" rejects them, treats them like they are senile, even if it's only a hearing issue, and it goes down hill from there... :ugh:

I am grateful for the technology I've always had. I don't know where my progressive hearing losses will take me. I am facing the need for new aids now, as mine can no longer accommodate my current losses. And facing the lack of $$$ to do so. :( But I am lucky to have family willing to learn lip reading and ASL with me, and friends in the Deaf community as well. So I will not be isolated and alone. I feel very fortunate that such a gloomy picture doesn't apply to me. :)

I have been thinking long and hard about this.If there were something that could help me hear anything, I think at this point, I would not go for it. I would stay as I am.

Not sure I could explain my reasons, except to say that when I had HA's, I was dealing with ear infections and "swimmer's ear" constantly. There was the whole deal on how to keep it dry if caught in a rain shower. I am one who also perspires heavily and my HA's got wet then as well. It was a living nightmare. I also know that the tinnitus will not go away if I could hear. I have had it since I was a small child, so nothing will get rid of it.

I had eye surgery @ 3½ and wore glasses from then on. So, viva technology! :lol: Then, in my 40s, when my hearing dropped significantly so I had my hearing tested, and then got hearing aids, it was the same attitude for me. Viva technology! Bring it on! :P

I agree, that likely a lot of the people they are discussing in this article, lived all their lives in the hearing world. They have never learned ASL nor speech reading/lip reading, nor had to use hearing aids or contemplate surgery for a cochlear implant. So, for them, all their family & friends, are likely all hearing. To me, it seemed logical to accept and go after the technology. Hearing aids enabled me to continue working for another decade before I could no longer use a regular telephone and my employability went down hill. :| Affordability now will become an issue for me as my DH & I approach retirement, with a significant drop in income level. And perhaps even medical coverage. Hearing aids are not covered, never were, by health insurance. They won't be by Medicare, either. :( But cochlear implants may be, due to the surgery of it.

So, financial ability to pay for medical insurance for cochlear implants, or sufficient income to buy hearing aids can be a factor, for sure. So can pride and not wanting to face that one's body is failing. My dad went through that and refused to wear his aid even after he got one. He also refused to use closed captioning, as yet another symbol he was failing. So he snoozed in front of TV shows and could not follow them, unwilling to develop the skill it takes to read the captions. He could read well, read newspapers & magazines avidly, but captioning reading is a bit different and take some adaptation. He wasn't willing to do that. :( Because I had my aids much earlier, ego wasn't an issue with me. It's was just something I needed, like new glasses. Shrug. So I got 'em. Yet, still, if one is having trouble communicating with one's partner, friends, family, it doesn't make sense to me, to deny oneself a tool to help stay connected. Yet my dad, no matter how supportive I was (I was already wearing two hearing aids for some years by then) and how I explained how much easier it made my life, etc., he just saw it as another symbol he was getting old and refused to wear his. And he had recently had to give up driving, so he was upset about that, too. There is a lot of grief in the aging process, and sometimes people just rebel at having to face and deal with one more thing going wrong with their bodies. :-o And then the "hearing world" rejects them, treats them like they are senile, even if it's only a hearing issue, and it goes down hill from there... :ugh:

I am grateful for the technology I've always had. I don't know where my progressive hearing losses will take me. I am facing the need for new aids now, as mine can no longer accommodate my current losses. And facing the lack of $$$ to do so. :( But I am lucky to have family willing to learn lip reading and ASL with me, and friends in the Deaf community as well. So I will not be isolated and alone. I feel very fortunate that such a gloomy picture doesn't apply to me. :)
Check Starkey's Hear Now program. Also Lion's Club, and ask an audiologist of any assistance programs that may help you.

To be honest, I don't think we necessarily need to be offended by where this particular article is going. It is in reference to older hearing people who have lost or are losing their hearing. They are not d/Deaf and have not chosen to pursue the d/Deaf culture for themselves - they are simply hearing people who are losing/lost that hearing and being stubborn when it comes to taking measures to relieve some of the difficulties in living their hearing lives. It'd be one thing if they wanted to choose to become d/Deaf culturally and all... but since they typically remain culturally hearing, it only makes sense that they should make it easier on those around them by, you know, BEING hearing (wearing hearing aids). I hope this makes sense. I am having trouble articulating my thoughts on this.

When I was health aide I had clients that where losing their hearing and their famliy brought them an inner ear HA . My clients had trouble using their HA as they where so small it was too hard to get the battery door open and put the battery in. If they had a behind the hearing aide it was a lot easier to use. I blame the HA dealers for selling HA that are too hard to use for some older people . I did help my clients put their HA in but some people could never get use to them.

i didnt agree about the part about hearing loss and loss of balance. My balance is excellent and im profoundly deaf. Maybe i misread it but that part seemed a little off to me.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

lucas said:
i didnt agree about the part about hearing loss and loss of balance. My balance is excellent and im profoundly deaf. Maybe i misread it but that part seemed a little off to me.

It depends on the type and cause of the HL - also how balanced the HL is on the left & right side.

Some people have balance issues, some don't. I think those with age related hearing loss might have a higher percentage of balance issues.

Back