Why is the drinking age 21?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The concept that a person becomes a full adult at 21 dates back centuries in English common law.

How did we end up with a drinking age of 21?
In short, because of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. This law basically told states that they had to enact a minimum drinking age of 21 or lose up to 10 percent of their federal highway funding. Since that's serious coin, the states jumped into line fairly quickly. Interestingly, this law doesn't prohibit drinking per se; it merely cajoles states to outlaw purchase and public possession by people under 21. Exceptions include possession (and presumably drinking) for religious practices, while in the company of parents, spouses, or guardians who are over 21, medical uses, and during the course of legal employment.

That answers the legal question, but what was the underlying logic?
Did lawmakers just pick 21 out of a hat because they wanted college seniors to learn the nuances of bar culture before graduation? Not quite. The concept that a person becomes a full adult at age 21 dates back centuries in English common law; 21 was the age at which a person could, among other things, vote and become a knight. Since a person was an official adult at age 21, it seemed to make sense that they could drink then, too.

Who was responsible for lowering the drinking age to 18 for part of the 20th century?
Believe it or not, Franklin Roosevelt helped prompt the change in a rather circuitous fashion. FDR approved lowering the minimum age for the military draft from 21 to 18 during World War II. When the Vietnam-era draft rolled around, though, people were understandably a bit peeved that 18-year-old men were mature enough to fight, but not old enough to vote. Thus, in 1971 the states ratified the Twenty-sixth Amendment, which lowered the voting age to 18. Legislators started applying the same logic to drinking. The drinking age, which the 21st Amendment made the responsibility of individual states, started dropping around the country.

Critics of the change decried rises in alcohol-related traffic fatalities among 18- to 20-year-old drivers in areas where the drinking age had been lowered. Indeed, one result of leaving states in charge of their own age was the creation of "blood borders"� between states that allowed 18-year-olds to drink and those that didn't. Teenagers from the more restrictive state would drive into the one where they could buy booze, drink, and then drive home, which created a perfect storm for traffic fatalities. Even if teens weren't any more predisposed than older adults to drive after they'd been drinking, all of this state-hopping meant that those who did drive drunk had to drive greater distances to get home than their older brethren, who could just slip down the block for a beer or six. More miles logged in a car meant more opportunities for a drunken accident.

Who led the back-to-21 movement?
Organizations like Mothers Against Drunk Driving began agitating for a uniform national drinking age of 21 to help eliminate these blood borders and keep alcohol out of the hands of supposedly less-mature 18-year-olds. As a result, President Reagan signed the aforementioned National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. MADD's "Why 21?"� website touts a National Traffic Highway Administration finding that the raised drinking age policy saves around 900 lives a year. Traffic reports show a 62 percent decrease in alcohol fatalities among teen drivers since 1982. Raw numbers show that drunk driving fatalities have definitely dropped since the early 1980s; despite an 88 percent increase in the number of miles driven, 2007 saw over 8,000 fewer total alcohol-related traffic fatalities than 1982.

Teasing out the underlying cause of this reduction in total fatalities is no mean feat, though. Non-alcohol traffic fatalities have also declined relative to the number of miles driven over the same time period, which could be attributed to any number of causes, including increased seat belt usage, the widespread use of airbags, and other safety improvements to cars and roads. Moreover, drinking and driving for the whole population might be down as the result of increased education on its consequences, harsher penalties, improved enforcement, or increased stigmatization of drunk driving.

Is there any place in the U.S. an 18-year-old can escape the 21-year-old drinking age?
For a while, Louisiana was a safe haven for thirsty teens. To comply with the letter of the national drinking age law, the state passed a law that made it illegal to buy alcohol if you were under 21. However, the law had a pretty large loophole built in: It wasn't illegal to sell alcohol to people under 21, a trick that severely hampered the enforcement of the drinking age. The state closed this exception in 1995, though. For the truly creative, the National Institutes of Health note that since Indian reservations are domestic sovereigns they don't fall under the existing federal drinking laws. Don't start researching your own tribal history just yet, though; according to the NIH over 200 tribes have passed their own laws against underage drinking.

Why is the drinking age 21? - Yahoo! News

Sometime between 1960 and 1963 Illinois changed their law in a way that affected my age group. We gals had been able to drink at 18 but the guys had to wait until 21. Then it was made uniform at 21.

I saw something on the TV show "What Would You Do" that really made me think. In the States, 18 years old is old enough to enter a war and fight for your country but you cannot legally enter a bar and have a drink. Hmmm....

I saw something on the TV show "What Would You Do" that really made me think. In the States, 18 years old is old enough to enter a war and fight for your country but you cannot legally enter a bar and have a drink. Hmmm....

Yeah....that's been the perspective of many for years and years....I would rather see the age of 21 to enter wars, not 18....as for drinking, I'd rather see it at 19, when most kids are out of school and graduated.

Yeah....that's been the perspective of many for years and years....I would rather see the age of 21 to enter wars, not 18....as for drinking, I'd rather see it at 19, when most kids are out of school and graduated.

I think the usual graduation age from high school has something to do with the 18 enlistment age for the armed services.

I agree regarding wars. I understand the history and reasoning behind the 18 minimum age but still think it's too young. As for the drinking age ... it as been 18 here forever so I can't imagine what it would be like to have to wait until you were 21.

What is the age in France for things like having wine with a meal? I have incomplete memories of controversy about letting high schoolers on school sponsored trips from the US have it there.

This is good issue to argue about. Once a kid graduate at 17-18 of age.. and enters military... when time comes, someone 21 or older in the military passes the alcohol to this younger kid as well unless the bunch is being honest and aware not to give this younger kid a taste.

And you guys are right, it doesnt make any sense if a kid graduate at 18, enters military at 18 but wasn't able to have a drink BUT it helps reduce death on the streets though because they are not always capable of controlling themselves while they take in lots of hits from reality... The law of drinking at 18 moved to 21 when I was getting there...damnit. LOL. I was so ready to be 18 but within three months from my birthday, they changed it from 18 to 21.. I was like aww why me... then had to wait for other few more years so I can buy my own drinks without having to ask someone to do me that favor. Then by the time I got close to 21, they started talking about changing it from 21 to 25.. I went come on.. gimme a break... but was relieved they failed 75% of the agreement.. only passed to sell at 25 at gas stations, and such.. what a f***kers these politics are... They never make sense.. like they do for the military.. why should we fight for them... we fight for our people not for the damned politicians.

I think the usual graduation age from high school has something to do with the 18 enlistment age for the armed services.

I disagree with age of enlistment for military. If a kid has to wait after HS - where are they gonna go? some kids just dont want to be home anymore and college is not a option for them. Getting them into military asap keeps them out of trouble after HS. same goes for drinking. We are handing over licenses to the kids at 16 -- I sure as hell dont want them drinking until they had at least 5 years of driving experience. (FYI - I am not talking about drinking and driving- I am talking about developing maturity decisions. you certainly cant teach the right thing to do if your judgement is affected at early age)

Only time and structure can teach kids the right thing to do. that is later drinking age, and military. I think that everyone really should go through boot camp after HS and wait on college just for structure and respect. By the time they finish boot camp, they can go to college or enlist to be part of military.

just being silly here - but can you imagine a deaf sarget yelling at newly recruited deaf/hoh?:hmm:

There is a reason why studies show that car accidents for drivers that are teens aged 16-19 have the most deaths out of any other age group. It is also the leading cause of death for late teenagers.

They can join the military at 18, but when joining the military they are still under orders and kept in check, it's not like they have full free will.

Brain studies have shown since long ago that the frontal lobe (medical term is the prefrontal cortex) doesn't fully develop until the middle or later 20's. The frontal lobe is responsible for judgement between right and wrong while making decisions.
What Is the Prefrontal Cortex? - Wisegeek.org

Purchasing and drinking alcohol are two different things. Making a higher purchasing age can (and most likely) reduces the potential for accidents waiting to happen. Even if a 18-20 year old is just buying it and not drinking it, their peers might consume it and make bad decisions that can be liabilities waiting to happen.

Teens will always find a way if they really want to drink it, but setting the legal age higher is a method to reduce the potential for disasters waiting to happen.

kids allowed hold gun get married have kids die for their country but not buy a pint..you make it 21 across spectrum and that no armed force and marriage's and enforce contaception

Wirelessly posted

Well from a medical perspective. Developement of the frontial lobe does not mature til 25-30 yrs old. Some people actually suggested that the drinking age to be 25 yrs old. It used to be believed that one does not mature til 21.

I have a friends from UK. Her country's legal to drinking age 18. Some Europe 's drinking legal 18 not same as our country. The smoking cigarette must be 18 age to purchase.

Wirelessly posted

Well from a medical perspective. Developement of the frontial lobe does not mature til 25-30 yrs old. Some people actually suggested that the drinking age to be 25 yrs old. It used to be believed that one does not mature til 21.

That discovery was more recent. I believe I first read about this last year or so.

I do agree with "if youre old enough to die for one's country, youre old enough to drink". We have issues of veterans that are 18-20 years old coming back to this country and being told they cannot drink. This issue needs to be addressed. I do believe if one wants to serve ones country they earned the right to drink before 21 with their blood and sweat. (if youre dishonorably discharged or awol then forget it) Hell renting cars in some states have age limit of 25 years old I believe. I had a tough time renting a car for a job because of that in this state of Illinois.

In some states they want the person drinking to be out of grade school before they start and unfortunately with the failure rate being what it is 21 is about when they graduate. Yes I am back.

I have heard it has something to do with Al Capone's age... I can't remember what it was.

Maybe he became a gangster at 21?

It used to be (in my youth) that the voting age in the United States was 21. The drinking age varied by state. Also, alcohol could be served to 18-year-olds on military bases regardless of state laws. It was not uniform.

Then, the voting age was lowered to 18. Eventually, the drinking ages started going up to 21 for all the states. I believe it was tied into highway funding. That is, the states weren't forced to change to 21 but they would have their federal highway funds cut off if they didn't.

The armed forces prefer to have members graduate high school before enlisting. Commissioned officers must have college degrees.

It used to be (in my youth) that the voting age in the United States was 21. The drinking age varied by state. Also, alcohol could be served to 18-year-olds on military bases regardless of state laws. It was not uniform.

Then, the voting age was lowered to 18. Eventually, the drinking ages started going up to 21 for all the states. I believe it was tied into highway funding. That is, the states weren't forced to change to 21 but they would have their federal highway funds cut off if they didn't.

The armed forces prefer to have members graduate high school before enlisting. Commissioned officers must have college degrees.

This agrees with my memories. Except. . . I have no knowledge of armed forces requirements.

One more point.

It was the argument that "If a man could be drafted into the military at age 18, why couldn't he vote at 18" that helped lower the voting age.

Since the draft was mandatory then but military service is voluntary now, I don't think that argument carries as much weight these days.

Back