why do hearing people think they better than us?

serena1986

Reaction score
why do they think they better than us?

I've often wondered this too.
I was born Deaf and learned from a very early age that I was not accepted by the hearing kids that were around me. My only friends I had were Deaf too but they were scant...we've since lost touch.

I am now 29 years old and you would think that it'd be different but it isn't. The adult hearies still hold the same views. Not all of them act this way though. I'm not sure if it's because of the communication issue or if they just don't like me. Most cannot understand what I say to them anyways and they just walk away from me. It hurts I know.

any hearies on here who "may" have been this way before you learned about Deaf Culture care to maybe give some insight as to why this is from your perspective?

S.

I will take a stab at it but I really dont know. It seems the people who are better with it are the ones with more self confidence and are not afraid to jump in and make you feel like a part of things. Kind of like reverse shyness it is not that they don't like you if they are not accustomed to this culture then they are not sure how exactly they are suppose to talk to you if they dont know sign and are too embarrassed to ask. So instead of looking stupid they just act like you are not there or turn around and walk away. I can't say I am guilty of this to a deaf person but I have felt like this when around handicapped or mentally unstable people that really can't help it. BUT now that I have gotton older and had more contact with them I am not like that>Reverse shyness. Or in some cases just plain jackass you never know till you are around them more.

Who cares? I know they aren't better or worse. They are just different than me.

Because they are socialized to believe they are.

Yep...hit that on the nail!....I've bitten my tongue so many times after being somewhat "treated" like a child and being "told what to do"....Now, as I've gotten older, I can smile instead of getting angry and lashing out at them...and just smile and say "Oh really?...well, this is the way I do it", or "this is the way I will do it"...My guess is that it leaves an impression, whether good or bad on "them", but not to myself. Having confidence in yourself and knowing you have the ability, is an important factor in life.

why do they think they better than us?

I been in the "Hearing Society" for so long.... Sometime they do act like they are better than us but in reality, they are not! I been in both world, Hearing and deaf and I can tell you one thing..... if I had a choice, I would rather be in deaf world. I don't have to "hear" all their B.S. on a daily basis. Granted, there are things that they can do that we can't do but then again, there are things that we can do that they can't do!! So if you're worry about what they're thinking or acting, my advice is not to. For those who think they are better than us.... they got their head so far up their anus, they don't even know what they're talking about!!

Exactly. Unfortunately, to some, different translates to better or worse.
Those folks need a boost in their self-esteem if they think the are worse because of what someone else thinks.

Does the fact of all latedeafened persons who were "part of hearing society" prior to becoming deaf negates the hypothesis of the Projection: re "better" than deaf?

Only on computer screens with not much reality to back it up.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Most people in the hearing society have a problem with self identity. It is drummed into them all of their lives.

There is only room at the top for one.

You too can be a leader.

Don't be another loser.

What makes you better than them?

Learn more - earn more. Get a good education.

All the popular people do this. All the individuals do that. Only losers do anything else.

People have to lose weight because they are horrible.

People believe all this crap. Then one find day they look around and realize they don't live up to it. One day they wake up and realize they are the fat, broke, uneducated, unpopular, loser. It is a horrible thing to face about yourself but if you believe all the crap that is put into you -- You are going to get crap coming out of you.

So they wind up hating themselves. So soon they have to find somebody they can hate worse than they hate themselves.

The solution is not to teach people love and compassion or intelligence.

The only solution is to counter the crap that is taught to people day in and day out -- Mostly by people trying to sell something and using fear to do it. People are scared of being losers, of being failures, of not being liked, of not having the right deodorant or the right education or the right attitude -- And there is somebody right there to sell them something to cure it.

But the cures don't work.

And they HAVE to be better than SOMEBODY -- So it must be you.

(Aren't you the lucky one)

I think minorities in general are often overlooked, and therefore feel less important or as though people don't think as highly of you. And then there's the fact that people are all too often uneducated about groups of which they're not a part, so they form stereotypes, which leads to prejudice. There's also fear of the unknown.

I know I've felt like people have looked down on me about various things. When I lived abroad I got a lot of crap about being an American. I've had people give me a hard time for being a vegetarian. Anything that makes you different can make you a target.

Of course, it is important to remember that just like we don't want to be looked down on, we should try not to look down on the majority. A lot of people are ignorant, but if we group them all together and start to stereotype, how does that make us better than them?

I think minorities in general are often overlooked, and therefore feel less important or as though people don't think as highly of you. And then there's the fact that people are all too often uneducated about groups of which they're not a part, so they form stereotypes, which leads to prejudice. There's also fear of the unknown.

I know I've felt like people have looked down on me about various things. When I lived abroad I got a lot of crap about being an American. I've had people give me a hard time for being a vegetarian. Anything that makes you different can make you a target.

Of course, it is important to remember that just like we don't want to be looked down on, we should try not to look down on the majority. A lot of people are ignorant, but if we group them all together and start to stereotype, how does that make us better than them?

i think so people rude to not respect to person not fair, judgement and wise
important, inappropriate on sterotype kind of issues pretty bad attitude

I think so hearing ignored to deaf, I told please respect to me fair, human is right

I am pretty assuracne to people worlds the aggressive and ignored not respect to person polite rude and swearing and meaning to emotional personal! not flexible on soft voice!

I truth you! they hearing insult be insult to native deaf, CPA deaf upset because hurting, people complaint to report to them boss! okay he update strict implementation to protect to person discriminate, broken law reason deaf right correct
my boss is very serious said explain! tough!

I was in the "Hearing Society" for most of my life and so for I haven't n
met any one that thinks they are better than me ( at lest not because of hearing)

however I have seen lots of deaf people who think they are better because of less hearing.... "your only HOH" , " your not deaf enough" , "you are a trader if you talk to hearies",

edit: it sucks, when every one wants what ever group they are in to be its own little world.

Why do hearing people think they're better than us? Because they can hear and we can't. That's the most obvious answer.

But I have met many hearing people who felt very weak compared to me because they realized, after getting to know me, that I was a much stronger person than they are. That what would have defeated them is just a small hurdle to me.

Why do hearing people think they're better than us? Because they can hear and we can't. That's the most obvious answer.

But I have met many hearing people who felt very weak compared to me because they realized, after getting to know me, that I was a much stronger person than they are. That what would have defeated them is just a small hurdle to me.

Gotcha' on that....has happened to me so many times, even within my family, friends, even neighbors. It used to sadden me whenever hearies avoided me becuz they "knew" that I knew more than they did/or were smarter they they, and would stand my own ground...they were "embarrassed"....and at times get a little "miffed" to find out that I was not "that deaf/dumb lady" who needs to be felt sorry for.....

Back