Why do Chinese people light candles to remember someones death?

The Joker

Reaction score
When someone dies do they attend funerals like we do? I see on news when someone dies in China they light candles in a lighted box and fly it up the air. Why do they do that?

I dunno, prob has something to do with buddhism or taoism
That said, catholics also light candles for the dead but with no kites, ive seen pagans light candles for the dead too...
Seems s common human thing to do to remember someone gone, cross cultures,not everyone does it though..

Well, I had seen some Chinese people lit their candles that were put in the little paper boats on the water like lakes or ponds or maybe rivers so that they can respect and have memories of their passing.

Yeah, I had seen the candles in the dome kite floating up in the air. Some of the other people who are not Chinese want to copy that over the lake, not on land. I am just guessing. They were beautiful sight to watch them up in the air.

Maybe you will have to find the time to read about Chinese culture when someone passed away.

The candle is the spirit of the dead and the river is the journey to the spirit world. I'm assuming the paper lanterns are the same, with the candle the spirit of the dead and the air the journey. The boat and the lanterns are just a way to take the journey.

I looked it up. The lanterns were used in war for signalling, and they are used to wish for good luck and prosperity. Many make wishes and send the lanterns up. It's also thought to show people the right path to take. And in modern times, it just looks nice at a festival.

The candle is the spirit of the dead and the river is the journey to the spirit world. I'm assuming the paper lanterns are the same, with the candle the spirit of the dead and the air the journey. The boat and the lanterns are just a way to take the journey.

I looked it up. The lanterns were used in war for signalling, and they are used to wish for good luck and prosperity. Many make wishes and send the lanterns up. It's also thought to show people the right path to take. And in modern times, it just looks nice at a festival.

sky lanterns are a fire hazard have to be used with care , I think they should illegal .

Interesting and cool to see in the sky. But WDYS is right about throwing caution in the wind.

We cant really allow people to do it with all droughts going on in parts of US. It looks harmless but its a fire being left at the mercy of where the wind takes it.

We have bans across the US for bonfires/campfires its no different than a firework ban as well. Theyre amazing to look at but safety comes first. 2 states already banned it, 3 countries esp. Australia banned it. No one really wants the devastating effect of a wildfire.

Its cool about the reason why people in different cultures/beliefs started doing it.

Back