Why are deaf people against those with hearing learning asl?

Discussion in 'Sign Language & Deaf Education' started by cadavis740, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DeafNerdMommy

DeafNerdMommy Well-Known Member

Years ago, whem i only have modorate hearing loss, I had a guest when I worked at Carl's Jr who was deaf. I saw them staring at the menu and writing stuff down. I was helping another person and had no way of telling them I signed. When they came up he signed he was deaf and I told him I sign. He had just spent 5 minutes writing down his order. I told him I will take the card if he wanted but he tore it up and signed. He was so happy, told me I was the first person he had actually talked to that day. On my break I went out and talked to him somemore. I understand how hard it is to write everything down.

Cappy and Tetracyclone like this.
  2. bexx

bexx New Member

I worked at an Unos when I still lived in Baltimore and there was always a gentleman who came in who was deaf. I hadn't decided on becoming an interpreter at this time but I would practice sign now and again; he had asked for a mountain dew and I misunderstood him and brought him the wrong thing. I remember how mad he got and I signed "sorry" and corrected his order. At the time I didn't understand why he got so angry, and the only conclusion I could come up with at the time was maybe he thought I was mocking him? Keep in mind my signing was VERY poor at the time.

3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

You are such a sweetheart for doing that. :)

DeafNerdMommy likes this.
  4. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I think, you got a grumpy customer. :) Keep up the good work. :)

5. bexx

bexx New Member

I actually hope you're right and he was lol

6. Moondancer

Moondancer Active Member

keep practicing with your signing while you are in the bathroom, shower, eating alone and driving (watch yourself on the road!)

bexx likes this.
  7. DeafDucky

DeafDucky Well-Known Member

^^ good ideas. I once had an AOL friend who would practice cued speech (her son was about 2 at the time... and yes they knew some ASL too) everywhere... including at the supermarket (still remember watching her do that lol).