Who's using bicycle to work?

JMH

Reaction score
While my work is just merely 2 miles from here and why am I wasting my money on gas driving to my work everyday with horribly city MPG?

I bought a new bike - Electra cruiser bike. Yeah, not exact ideal bicycle to commute to work. There are several reasons behind it: First childhood bicycle - I had Schwinn coaster bike through Jr. High to High school. I rode it everywhere and loved it. Second, It has coaster braking system (to stop the bike by back pedal) which is the most comfortable and my burning mental way to stop a bike. Third, I haven't touched a bike over 20 years and I thought I'd just get similar what I had before and should be easier to get back on bike.

So, I rode it for the first time just last weekend and it did got me awkward with it. I didn't expect it to be too light and difficult to control it. lol And now, I'm getting much better after several miles around my neighborhood past few days. I aim to start using it as my primary vehicle to commute to work next week (after Labor's Day).

Anyone else is using it as commute to work or school?

I sometimes ride my bike along the river to university, only on a good day and when I'm not carrying a lot of books in the back pack.

I work from home, but I bike to the gym, grocery store, and client meetings at a local coffee shop :)

I biked through Chelsea Piers / Battery Park / Brooklyn / Coney Island / Staten Island to photograph it during the floods before subways and power were back on... so I bike for work! :)

Yeah, I do!!! I sell a lot of bikes. I would often ride 2 bikes to deliver a bike to a customer. I'll come back home with 1 bike. I bet people are wondering if my other bike got stolen. Haha!!! I also have found it very important to be able to test bikes first before I offer them to customers. If it's unsafe for me, then it's unsafe for customers.

Also, I alway try to take pictures of bikes by landmark signs. Therefore, I'm alway riding from house to landmark sites and using the background to sell bikes.

I remember when gas prices really spiked, there were lots of folks taking the bike to the rail station; it made sense until bikes started disappearing. Just when you think a person wouldn't sink any lower, they surpise you. If you work close to home and can keep the bike secure, I'm all for it. Never been the case for me though....

Laura

I remember when gas prices really spiked, there were lots of folks taking the bike to the rail station; it made sense until bikes started disappearing. Just when you think a person wouldn't sink any lower, they surpise you. If you work close to home and can keep the bike secure, I'm all for it. Never been the case for me though....

Laura

I live in "suburbia" and I had my wheels stolen off my bike in HS... people surprise me.

I ride a bike and never use my car really, but my bike has disc brakes and a 500cc engine. lol I lige in rural nowhere, so I'd never make it to the places I need to go if I used a bicycle. I have been toying around with the notion of getting a cheap one off craigslist, but I can't find what I want. I want an English racer type bike, not a mountain bike, but all I seem to find are mountain bikes there.

I work a few miles from home... However the thought of getting gross and wearing myself out like that before work doesn't appeal to me, so I still drive. Granted I'm more like 8 miles away from my house, but I could do that if I really wanted to... Just like why I only go to the gym after work... because going in all worn out from working out would just put me in a rut or something... Not that just walking in the door here doesn't do that all on its own... lol!

Back