Whoa! The FCC just stated that all VRS must interoperate with each other! Good news!

Dennis S.

Reaction score
I must admit, I'm pleasantly surprised. As of today on the FCC's website (http://www.fcc.gov) it states that the FCC "Declares Video Relay Service (VRS) providers must provide interoperability with competing providers"

Wow. They even state that:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-265218A1.pdf

1) "... restricting the use of a provider’s VRS service so that consumers cannot access other VRS providers is inconsistent with the functional equivalency mandate, the public interest and the intent of Congress."

2) "..the Commission asked for comment on the creation of an open and global database of proxy numbers for VRS consumers, so that that a hearing person may call a VRS consumer more easily."

3) "... the Commission also asked for comment on whether it should adopt specific Internet protocols or standards to ensure interoperability."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more need for two VRS devices in my home to call anyone I want on my videophone! And, on top of that, everyone's quality will be at least the same, no one will be allowed to secretly "cripple" anyone else's video quality because then the FCC will get very, very mad.

So, what do you think about that? It's a LONG time in coming, but it's here, and for a while there, I didn't think it would happen. Now VRS can get better for everyone!

If you can, four of the FCC Commissioners made comments on VRS and how they want to see this happen in the future. Check them out. Very exciting stuff.

Wow this gonna be louder than the little hoot were getting from the Gally students.

Richard

hmmm... SorensonVRS already announced few months ago (in Feb 2006) that they will allow interoperability this summer in July. :dunno: so FCC was late in announcing the ruling ?. http://www.sorenson.com/press/press_release_full.php?pr_id=67

But SorensonVRS haven't made announcement that they will make the DB global that's where the comments request come in since the news in regard to interoperability is old. I am thinking that they just put out the news on this such petition but needed comments.

But keep in mind that Sorenson developed both VP-100 and D-Link devices. Chance are that when VP-200 comes out, D-Link VRS customers may receive them as well. Never know... since the database that D-Link uses belong to D-Link.

Sorenson didn't promise interoperability. They only promised that they were going to stop blocking VP-100 users from reaching other providers. They blocked VRS users from being able to call each other, even though I recall in the past they were able to reach each other simply by dialing their phone number.

From what I read from the FCC, the FCC looks like they will want a universal system for phone numbers for VRS, not just VP-100s and DVC-1000's. It looks to be independent from Sorenson, though there are no details just yet. I guess the idea is so that not just one provider will take over the phone numbering system and dominate the market because of that.

Dennis said:
I must admit, I'm pleasantly surprised. As of today on the FCC's website (http://www.fcc.gov) it states that the FCC "Declares Video Relay Service (VRS) providers must provide interoperability with competing providers"

Wow. They even state that:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-265218A1.pdf

1) "... restricting the use of a provider’s VRS service so that consumers cannot access other VRS providers is inconsistent with the functional equivalency mandate, the public interest and the intent of Congress."

2) "..the Commission asked for comment on the creation of an open and global database of proxy numbers for VRS consumers, so that that a hearing person may call a VRS consumer more easily."

3) "... the Commission also asked for comment on whether it should adopt specific Internet protocols or standards to ensure interoperability."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more need for two VRS devices in my home to call anyone I want on my videophone! And, on top of that, everyone's quality will be at least the same, no one will be allowed to secretly "cripple" anyone else's video quality because then the FCC will get very, very mad.

So, what do you think about that? It's a LONG time in coming, but it's here, and for a while there, I didn't think it would happen. Now VRS can get better for everyone!

If you can, four of the FCC Commissioners made comments on VRS and how they want to see this happen in the future. Check them out. Very exciting stuff.

What do you mean about no one will be allowed to secretly cripple anyone's video? Im not undestanding this..

I'm glad to see people agreeing with the FCC. When I worked in broadcast radio, I saw a lot of bad decisions made by them. Its good to see that they are at least doing something right.

I haven't followed the industry side of VRS providers, but it is common for companies to put something in place knowing that the FCC will act on it at some point. This allows that company to have a little say with the FCC when the time comes to make the changes...and shows that company in a positive light to say 'We were doing it before the FCC made the law'. This is a common practice in the telecommunications industry. An example would be the changes that satellite providers (XM and Sirius) made. They started doing things that the FCC would question (and radio stations who are regulated were not allowed to do). They know regulations by the FCC would happen even though they were not licensed by the FCC...knowing that someday they would be regulated by them (they weren't regulated because it was a new technology).

The same things are happening with the VRS providers...they are preparing for the changes that are about to come down the line and from what I've been reading, this is a very good thing for the Deaf community.

Back