Who wears hearing aids?

Which one do you use?

• Total voters

Raging Quiet

Reaction score
Im interested to see who wears hearing aids, cochear implants etc.

I wear two digital high powered hearing aids

Was going to have a cochear implant operation, but my hospital was testing the digital aids and they gave them to me on trial. Have used them ever since and not looked back since!

Have worn hearing aids since I was three. Am not eligable for a CI at all, seeing as I have a purely conductive loss.

I ve wore both hearing aids since age 3 until 3 years ago, my left hearing has gone down! :tears:

I still wear my right hearingaid but will get cochlear implant! :D

I wear a behind-the-ear hearing aid. I've had it for over 10 years and it still works. :)

deafdyke said:
Have worn hearing aids since I was three. Am not eligable for a CI at all, seeing as I have a purely conductive loss.

A purely conductive loss should make you a Good candidate for a CI... If you still have some hearing and get good use out of hearing aids then you won't be a candidate.

my hearing loss is sensioneural, my problem is beyond the cochlea.. so I don't think I would be a good candidate. for now I have too much hearing to even consider it. Eventually I'll be 100% deaf, but I don't think I'll get a CI. I don't like the idea of having something implanted so close to my brain. If you get a CI you're at higher risk for menengitus and I hear the implant can be uncomfortable.

Right now i'm not using hearing aids at all. in my left ear I completely deaf I can't hear sounds even over 120db. in my right ear It goes up and down .. for certian frequencies I can hear as quiet as 20 db but other frequencies it's about 50-60 db and anything over 2000Hz drops off the audiogram (can't hear it at any volume)

Back in February I looked into getting a hearing aid, but then I got a job that required ear plugs and I put it off. I might look into getting a hearing aid again. My hearing loss is progressive so I'll have to constantly have it re-programed and adjusted.. that's not fun but many of you probably know that better than I do :)

farmerjoe said:
my hearing loss is sensioneural

so is my hearing loss -- same as urs it looks like from what mom had explained to me years and years ago

and to answer the question on this thread -- i use an old hearing aid (1) on my left ear and i dont use it very often *shrugs* its prolly at least 8 mebbe 9 years old -- it broke once *rme* while my other older hearing aid i still have for back up is over 15 years old and its worked VERY well for me and has not broken at ALL -- brand name: Seimens for both HAs i have

an audiologist once told me hearing aids should be replaced every 2 or so years :shock: i think its ridiculous! especially if the damn health insurance REFUSES to cover them so i dont see a point in replacing HAs every couple years :roll:

Two years?? :ugh: That's absolutely rediculous! They told me to replace mine every five years. My goodness I can't get over with your audiologist. :crazy:

Katzie said:
Two years?? :ugh: That's absolutely rediculous! They told me to replace mine every five years. My goodness I can't get over with your audiologist. :crazy:

yea something like that Katzie and i agree it IS :crazy: !!! *smh* i told the audiologist that i didnt need new hearing aid if the one i have is perfectly fine -- got it fixed and its working now *rme*

and has not broken at ALL -- brand name: Seimens for both HAs i have
I had Siemens when I was younger and they were ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS getting broken!
A purely conductive loss should make you a Good candidate for a CI... If you still have some hearing and get good use out of hearing aids then you won't be a candidate.
Nope. CIs are for SN losses. There's nothing wrong with my cochlea, it's just that I don't have ear canals or eardrums.
my hearing loss is sensioneural, my problem is beyond the cochlea.. so I don't think I would be a good candidate.
Beyond the coachla? That's not a SN loss, that's a central loss (and some central losses can be helped by CI)
for now I have too much hearing to even consider it. Eventually I'll be 100% deaf, but I don't think I'll get a CI.
I would opt for it if I had a progressive loss or a loss that literally couldn't be helped by hearing aids.

i'm wearin hearin aids. i keep gettin it to get fix cuz i'm improvein my hearing sense

wearing CI here have been wearing it since i was 9 years old however thanks to a certain jerk he hide my cochlear implant so i gotta go get new one which will cost me possibly up to 5 grand no idea *grumbles*

im profound deaf no hearing aid helps.. though they tickles my ears heheh

I wore hearing aids in both ears for the first 27 years of my life then obtained a CI. I did wear a hearing aid in the unimplanted ear for the first year, then it shat itself...can't afford to get a new one. The other one broke as well. :( Both were over 10 years old. Phonak and Siemens.

PurpleRose71 said:
I wore hearing aids in both ears for the first 27 years of my life then obtained a CI. I did wear a hearing aid in the unimplanted ear for the first year, then it shat itself...can't afford to get a new one. The other one broke as well. :( Both were over 10 years old. Phonak and Siemens.
I'm a Phonak user for over 3 years now and I'm curious which brand do you like better, Phonak or Siemens?

I wear 2 bte Oticon high power aids and have had them for 4 years without any major problems. They have worked very well for me.

deafdyke said:
I had Siemens when I was younger and they were ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS getting broken!

strange -- mine hadnt broken except that ONE time which was only the microphone part that was fucked up which was very minor but otherwise it was great for me :dunno:

I'm a Phonak user for over 3 years now and I'm curious which brand do you like better, Phonak or Siemens?
PHONAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FlyFree, maybe it's b/c I was a little kid at the time...I was ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS breaking them b/c I am a tomboy. In more recent years it was b/c I wore those old lady ITE aids (I went through being self-conscienous about my aids and got "less noticable" ones) which break at the drop of a hat! Now I'm back to good ol' BTEs! :)

Back