who pays the piper, picks the sign.

heres another one for you to nibble
Original Signs

"shows that language is inherently a multichannel activity, of which the two primary channels are auditory and visual."

"Unlike most authors, Armstrong includes gesture and signed language at every step, rather than treating the visual channel of language as an afterthought. "

Looks very interesting. I'm ordering it now.

Thanks for the great response

Your welcome slevinski

Learning a language through reading and writing is a benefit!

it sure is. no doubt about it.

The change from an oral culture to a literate culture is significant and controversial. The biggest hurdles are the lack of a fully developed script, lack of teaching material, and lack of software support. Once literacy becomes established, it can quickly build upon itself and the controversy will disappear for most.

Indeed it will. all the hurdles mentioned are just that. steps along the process of not only creating the script but implementing it. all these problems will be handled. we as a culture have no choice if we want to survive. period.

It sounds like you are saying that Deaf as a literate culture have a greater chance of survival compared to an oral culture only supported by video.

Indeed i am. video wont cut it. we need something more enduring. a script is just that. we have 5000 years of development in regards to the idea and use of scripts for aural languages. and that history has lessons for us. once we accept and use s5is as an ASL script and other sign languages may take a hint, and i hope they do, i actually know they will once we get this rolling........ then the only hindrance to it is the human mind. and that is no hindrance at all. any deaf anyplace, can use it. with a stick in sand or pen to paper or graffiti on wall, or tablet computer its endless. because it rests on the mind an din the mind. no other piece of technology or power is needed. learn the script you know the language., nothing can stop you. if we want our culture to survive the coming onslaught. we need a script. our survival of a culture is in our signs, we must render signs into a form that can be used and that will endure.

we will endure!!

I believe the use of video or animation is a poor substitute for both a hand written script and a computer encoded script.

i completely agree..we are at an exciting point in time, i want to push this as far as it can, i want to push the limits on what we can do with this script. i want to know the limits are endless, as signs are endless, our signs will endure......

we are at an exciting point in time, i want to push this as far as it can, i want to push the limits on what we can do with this script. i want to know the limits are endless, as signs are endless, our signs will endure......

Hoichi, I sure wish you were a supporter of the SignWriting script. Deaf have been involved since the beginning and international support continues to build. The argument for literacy is overwhelming though, regardless of script choice.

Without writing, would the early Greeks have raised so high and influenced so many? What would the world be like without the written Iliad?

Imagine an encyclopedia in a sign script. Right now, we have 50 articles in the American Sign Language Wikipedia and growing. This year, additional sign languages will join ASL with other Wikipedia and Wiktionary projects. The computer encoding and associated query language have been stable for 2 years.

2013 was a great year and 2014 is going to be even better. Improvements in the user experience planned for this year will remove any doubts. Imagine sign texting on your mobile phone.

Hoichi, I sure wish you were a supporter of the SignWriting script. Deaf have been involved since the beginning and international support continues to build. The argument for literacy is overwhelming though, regardless of script choice.

i support the need for a script to render ASL in a written form. period. as for sign writing well...i'm very very familiar with it. but personally it suffers to many design flaws. and i find it inadequate for the task. that said i find it better then nothing. but si5s is a superior script. for multiple reasons in my opinion.

Without writing, would the early Greeks have raised so high and influenced so many? What would the world be like without the written Iliad?

a dreary world. indeed.

50 articles in the American Sign Language Wikipedia[/URL] and growing. This year, additional sign languages will join ASL with other Wikipedia and Wiktionary projects. The computer encoding and associated query language have been stable for 2 years.

2013 was a great year and 2014 is going to be even better. Improvements in the user experience planned for this year will remove any doubts. Imagine sign texting on your mobile phone.

i hope to see that soon.........its a splendid idea. even an entire forum in written ASL..

Last edited:
Back