Who is single here?

what about the 21 grams leaving your body- what's that- 'spiritual' or some kind of powering down? or is that the soul mechanism effect?

21 grams are awfully lot, that's like 3/4 oz of grass

Dammit I wish I could drink blah

Compressed air in the lungs, gas in the intestines and when you die... you crap your pants... Id say more like 16oz ( 1 pound or more) will leave your body...lol

Re: Single

I am single for three years now. Married to a great person for fifteen before that. Wouldn't change a thing, but enjoy my freedom now and it will take an extrordinary person to get me to risk it again. I am optimistically comfortable.

I decided to break away from brutal honesty and not post on my dating site that I'm deaf. Sure enough, the first email I send gets a hit. The emails go back and forth really nicely about four or five times. I ask to meet and I get a reply with a number to call. I text the number and tell her I wear a hearing aid. The conversation goes like this:

Woman: So, you don't talk the phone?
Me: I wear a hearing aid, it's not easy for me to understand everything on the phone.
Woman: So, you legally deaf?
Me: Yes. I always try to be on the right side of the law(she's not amused).
Woman: In both ears?
Me: Yes, but it's not that bad, you get used to it. So, how about meeting later on?
Woman: I have plans.

It takes a bit to get back into explaining mode. These conversations are pretty typical. Once you get used to them, it's easy to get past them with a lot of patience.

I decided to break away from brutal honesty and not post on my dating site that I'm deaf. Sure enough, the first email I send gets a hit. The emails go back and forth really nicely about four or five times. I ask to meet and I get a reply with a number to call. I text the number and tell her I wear a hearing aid. The conversation goes like this:

Me: I wear a hearing aid, it's not easy for me to understand everything on the phone.
Me: Yes, but it's not that bad, you get used to it. So, how about meeting later on?

It takes a bit to get back into explaining mode. These conversations are pretty typical. Once you get used to them, it's easy to get past them with a lot of patience.

Don't mention it to begin with. She has no idea about deaf culture, much less making a conversation feel awkward by mentioning something she has no idea to approach. If when you meet she asks, then explain it to her, but don'tmake it the cornerstone of the conversation.

Don't mention it to begin with. She has no idea about deaf culture, much less making a conversation feel awkward by mentioning something she has no idea to approach. If when you meet she asks, then explain it to her, but don'tmake it the cornerstone of the conversation.

Therein lies the problem: You can't meet before you talk on the phone in most cases.

So, you sometimes have to deal with the issue before the first meeting.

If you think about it, you go to the internet to find someone to have a face to face meeting, that's funny.

While internet dating works out great for us deaf, I really don't understand why hearing people use it. If I could converse in bars, I wouldn't need it myself.

For online dating -- yea thats always a tricky part.. You dont know the exposure they have with Deaf people. So that easily gives them wrong idea. After all getting the strange stares of people in public, how they going to think of finding out online and remember "weirdos" in public that look so different & think all of us Deafies are like that.. So obviously they all need to be re-educated people are different.. Few nuts, Few loose screws.... Nobody's perfect but yea some people fit better with certain kinds more than others. :)

Therein lies the problem: You can't meet before you talk on the phone in most cases.

If you think about it, you go to the internet to find someone to have a face to face meeting, that's funny.

While internet dating works out great for us deaf, I really don't understand why hearing people use it. If I could converse in bars, I wouldn't need it myself.

I'm deaf and I've never ever used online dating. I doubt it would ever work great for me.

I don't have any problem meeting a fine dame the old-fashioned way and I just met one. It's work in progress. :giggle:

maybe it'll work out. maybe not. :aw: and yes she's deaf.

on that side note, I just saw a very nice, easy-on-the-eye gal (French perhaps?) downstairs at finance department when I went to pick up my reimbursement check. I'd hook you up with her. she's hearing but I'm sure she'd be cool with you being deaf.

oh well. better to find out now than to waste your time later with her in person. can't imagine how the situation would get all weird and uncomfortable in person if she wanted to get out.

For online dating -- yea thats always a tricky part.. You dont know the exposure they have with Deaf people. So that easily gives them wrong idea. After all getting the strange stares of people in public, how they going to think of finding out online and remember "weirdos" in public that look so different & think all of us Deafies are like that.. So obviously they all need to be re-educated people are different.. Few nuts, Few loose screws.... Nobody's perfect but yea some people fit better with certain kinds more than others. :)

I wonder if James Mac Crary (deaftears) has ever used an online dating website...

Oh, wait.

Yeah....I'd want to know right away whether or not my hearing was going to be an issue, just weed them out quick. Not to mention it's a factor on where you're going to for that date.....it'd kind of help in the planning.

SOme hearing people don't like the bar scene, and don't want to be involved with anyone who does go to bars. Some people I think don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get to know people, they'd rather use the online dating services to shortcut finding people they might be compatable with? Maybe? I don't know I've never used one. But I imagine if you're looking for specific things in a partner it could be useful.

Wirelessly posted

okay this might sound wierd to some but ive been single all my life...
it not like i don get a lot of attention from the guys ....or like im not attractive or anytin.....

its jus ive always felt comfortable bein on my own and independent

Wirelessly posted

sunsetlover said:

Catfish , that MTV show people lie about who they are. In my case, he didn't make efforts to meet me. The cause was money issue, but he had a job if he wanted to make it happen , there are always other means of transportation like bus or train. I guess, I wasn't worth it to him.

I am ok , it hurt but I will live not like it's the first time someone's broke my heart.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

amaranthine said:
Wirelessly posted

okay this might sound wierd to some but ive been single all my life...
it not like i don get a lot of attention from the guys ....or like im not attractive or anytin.....

its jus ive always felt comfortable bein on my own and independent

That's inspiring , saves heartache

Wirelessly posted

I find the concept of having a relationship very abstract i mean its just diff for diff people....

For some its a breakin the loneliness for some its a sence of adventure ,for some its a feeling of sympathy or missing someone....for some its just that they have already fallen in love with the idea of love itself....

Does anyone agree !!"

Wirelessly posted

I find the concept of having a relationship very abstract i mean its just diff for diff people....

For some its a breakin the loneliness for some its a sence of adventure ,for some its a feeling of sympathy or missing someone....for some its just that they have already fallen in love with the idea of love itself....

Does anyone agree !!"

i agree, i analyse too much, and think a relationship of any sorts is just too much work

If it is work in the beginning and work in the middle I wonder what the end is like? I know we are all different, me I was always kind of out of sync. I would try and it would not work out. I would not try and it would not work out. Just to prove all those people wrong who say stop trying and it will happen, after a few years of that I was getting mighty lonely.

Wirelessly posted

amaranthine said:
Wirelessly posted

Does anyone agree !!"

I agree. Nothing wrong with singleness it gives you freedom and if you think lonely and sad then you become that. You need to have a positive attitude.

I am single, just hit my bday a few days ago, turned 37 years old. I am also a father of a beautiful girl who turns 10 in a few days. Time sure flies when you see your baby grows.

Been working in bars/restaurants most of my cooking career, so the last place I want to meet anyone is in a bar. I am not big on bar scenes.

Every relationship I ever had was with a hearing woman. I've courted a few women that didn't work out.

Was frustrating when I heard "I've been typing all day and the last thing I want to do is type to you at the end of the night. So I'm calling you." And my phone ringing and her going on and on talking and me missing 75% of what she's saying. So I just let her talk. Shortly afterward, we split ways, she didn't want to meet me halfway.

I've been around hearing people majority of my life. I have my first taste of being around deaf people from 1999 to 2001. I did learn ASL, but after I left I didn't have anyone to practice with, so I only remember a few words. I am sure if I brush up on it, it will come back.

Never dated a woman who had a hearing problem like me. So it would definitely be new grounds for me.

Last edited:
Back