Who here has taken Deafhood workshops?

Muse

Reaction score
I did and *loved* it! Wondering if anyone here has?

I have read about them and would like; they had one last year in my area - but my ASL is too poor

I think there are some options. Plus for a workshop like 'Deafhood' I would imagine it would be a glaring flaw if they didn't offer something. Someone said something about options, but I forgot what they said. I know that was horribly vague of me ;)

You could email Chriz Dally at the Deafhood Foundation to see what they have. I can pass his email to you via PM if you want.

There's also Paddy Ladd's Book that is the basis for the workshops: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Deaf-Culture-Search-Deafhood/dp/1853595454/

Last edited:
:ty: I saw his book at a used book store and would like to get it.
When I saw the local workshop available, I emailed the contact for it here and I seem to recall that they told me that it was ASL-only; the workshop for allies does offer other possibilities because they're expecting it to be deaf, terps, family etc, as well as Deaf.

What are deafhood workshops? Never come across that before...

Also http://www.deafhood.us/wp/udc-ladd

The above link has ASL translations of the first parts of the book.

I consider Deafhood an epiphany for me, and that's after already knowing about audism and Deaf culture as a longtime member.

Deafhood does a lot, but it really (for me) put the context of what we deaf/hoh/etc people experience within the framework of colonialism/neocolonialism. And I personally found once I was able to view my own experience through that lens, I was finally able to start coming up with solutions and approaches that I hadn't even considered before.

I know I'm not doing justice in my explanation. Before I dove into Deafhood, everyone just told me, "Its an amazing experience." I honestly don't want to be that annoying vague person (and I was annoyed when I got that answer), but it really is the best answer I can think of.

:ty: I saw his book at a used book store and would like to get it.
When I saw the local workshop available, I emailed the contact for it here and I seem to recall that they told me that it was ASL-only; the workshop for allies does offer other possibilities because they're expecting it to be deaf, terps, family etc, as well as Deaf.

Ok that makes more sense. I'm sorry it didn't work out. :(

Maybe, then, the onus is on people like me and others who have taken Deafhood to share that knowledge and let other members of our greater community decide what they want to do with that information in their own lives.

Back