Who do you think you are related to?

I actually am related to the Lau family that arrived in America in the 1700's from the Rhineland near Switzerland and France which is commonly known as Germany! My ancestors' names are; Schrum, Miller, Copp(previously Kopp), Joseph, Messersmith, and Stambaugh.

:lol: They were Pennsylvania Dutch surnames. I actually am related to a few pow wow witches/doctors in the family tree. My great-great aunt was one through my grandmother's line via my mother. I know a little of this rare language from my grandmother's older brother that lives in the South for a very looong time that it is enough time for him to have an natural Southern accent.

For example; "Spread me all over with apple busser (apple butter) a piece of bread." Interesting, huh?:hmm:

In the show QI, they state that mathematically, everyone from Europe is related to Charlemagne.

Watt, Kelly (Kelley), Kiester/Keister, Yowell, Sheets, Boling, Owsley, Hill, Kimball, and the list goes on. I got like over 1000 names in my family tree I think, maybe more. My grandparents (my dad's parents) have been able to trace our connection to Queen Elizabeth in England (through Owsley), so that's pretty cool. And I'm related to Pocohantas through my mom's mother's side of the family (through the Bolings). Am also supposedly related to General Ulysses S. Grant, but I can't figure out the connection and my mom isn't too sure if it's through her mother or father's line.

My mom's family comes from Scotland but i cant remind last names but my mom,my grandma and my aunt still find Ancestry on the computer from past families.My grandma's family is Spence but im not sure what else last name i cant remind....

My dad's family come from each three countries include Germany,Ireland and switzerland but i cant remind last name when my late grandma got remarried numerous times.

Wall, Stipp, Swanner, George, Hawk (native American abandoned on the trail of tears), Johnson, Myers, Simons, Boyd, Williams, Boussum, Freers, Castro... that's all I can think of at the moment.

I heard my last name is well known as slave owners. Im glad I didnt live in dose days. Im a sports junkie,yall. Any websites I can go to and find my ancestry for free? I dont want to pay.

On my Dad's side,I'm descended from Robert "King" Carter thru his grandson,
Carter Braxton,who signed the Declaration of Independence.

A 1st cousin to Braxton,Robert Carter III,freed almost 500 slaves in 1790/91,
which was the largest individual slave manumission in US history.

I'm also a cousin to Lt. Gen. R.E. Lee,his mother was a King Carter descendant.

Ancestry.com has really paid off for me! I have a "World Deluxe" membership,so I get all the databases. Have found a few distant relatives on it.

Did 4 batteries of DNA testing with 3 companies.

One DNA company,23 and Me,has Relative Finder@ which matches your DNA against others in the database. I have over 330 DNA cousins on that site of
various racial backgrounds.

On another thread,I mentioned being of W African,European,and Powhatan Confederacy ancestry. Have quite a few "brick walls" I'm trying to bust.

Hmm, my great grandfather worked Ford, he developed some kind of suspension technology Ford uses in their cars, but called him crazy and fired him, only for them to use it about 60 years later.

Other great grandfather was a runaway snake oil salesman from Indiana who got into some trouble, and then opened a brothel in San Francisco.

But my favorite, my dad's dad, was a Merchant Marine during WW2, the Marine Corps wouldn't let him in because he was missing 3 toes, he still was one of the fastest track runners during HS in California, but they didn't care. He joined merchant marine and smuggled fuel and planes over the Pacific to Allies. Definitely still a badass having to worry about Japan dropping torpedoes on them.

I heard my last name is well known as slave owners. Im glad I didnt live in dose days. Im a sports junkie,yall. Any websites I can go to and find my ancestry for free? I dont want to pay.

There are a lot of ways you can search information for free.

Roots web (type in surname or location)
Findagrave.com
Kindred trails
There are many historical societies with information depending on the location
There are archives all over, depending on who/what your researching
City Hall/governmental records you can search for free

Plus more. You just have to start your research to get an idea of where to look for records. Once you've been doing it a little while, you start to get an idea to what records you can be searching for.

Example, you know your ancestor lived in CA during the late 19th century into the 20th... You can search for the US Federal Census, but also the CA voter registration records... You can also look at old directories etc.

I just want to bring this thread back. I wonder if we can talk about what have we learned something new since last winter or spring.. I did learn more from my mom's dad's mom's side - McKay- Actually, it is MacKay. After MacKay family moved to Canada, they decided to remove an a from MacKay so it is McKay. I also learned that there are two underlines for the letter a. So, we know it is MacKay.

I learned more about MacKay/McKay family from Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland. It seems to me that they were rooted in their homeland until something had happened.

eternity, I read that if a name starts with Mc or Mac, it's Scottish and not Irish. Is that true? I always thought it was Irish.

Also another question, I was born in Italy but moved here when I was little. Do I consider myself "first generation American" or does one have to be born here to be called first generation?

Thanks!

eternity, I read that if a name starts with Mc or Mac, it's Scottish and not Irish. Is that true? I always thought it was Irish.

Also another question, I was born in Italy but moved here when I was little. Do I consider myself "first generation American" or does one have to be born here to be called first generation?

Thanks!

I know it can sometime be tricky to decide whether a name beginning with Mac or Mc is of Irish or Scots. It depends where they come from. For instance, I have deliberated about my paternal great grandmother - McDowell when my Aunt and Cousin told me that she's a half Scottish and English. So, McDowell is from Scotland. The problem is that I could not go any further beyond my great grandmother so she's at a dead end of where to find information about her father. I should order her birth certificate from Quebec where she was born. No one know what's happening to her father. It was all hush and hush. They did tell me two things - either her father died while she was in her mother's belly (pregnant) or he died when she was a baby or little. I want to dig deep to find more clues about him somehow.

If you research a bit more about Mc and Mac, it might help you to understand better. For example, McDowell makes me thinking it was MacDowell. Sometimes, Mac - Scottish people changed their last name from Mac to Mc for some reasons.

Yes, you could consider yourself a first generation American because you had immigrated and been naturalized in the USA.

Mom's maternal side of the family...

I have our family tree book called, "The Payzant And Allied Jess and Juhan Families in North America," published 1970 and written by Marion M. Payzant. It is 452 pages long, including the index. It is hardback with that musty smell to it. Wonderful. It lists four major lines of ancestry as follows: 1) Rev. John Payzant and Mary Alline; 2) Louis Payzant (different one than the one who arrived first) and Grace Davison; 3) Lisette Payzant (unborn at the time of her father's death by the Indians in 1756) and George Jess; and 4) Mary Payzant and John James Juhan.

The name Payzant originated as Paisant in France, which had the original meaning in Old French as "a compatriot, a fellow citizen, a lover of one's country" and was bestowed with deep respect on only those who had proven themselves worthy of the honor. To most people, the name Payzant connotes the word "paysan" meaning in modern French "a peasant." The Paisant name in our family branch may have been changed to Pheasant in England, though Pheasant may be derived from entirely different sources.

In both Canada and the US, any person spelling the name Payzant with an "ayz" is always identified as a descendant of our French Huguenot ancestor, Louis Payzant, the first person in our family to come to the New World in search of religious freedom in July of 1753 on Covey Island, where he was scalped by the Indians in 1756, and the wife and children kidnapped and eventually traded off to St. Anne's, a Jesuit mission station (now Fredericton - children were traded off here), and the French fortified city of Quebec (Mrs. Payzant was traded off here and supposedly had pleaded with General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm-Gozon of the French side of the Seven Years' War to have her children recovered, which was granted).

Louis' ancestor, in turn was born in Beauville, Calvados, Normandy, France about 1565 as Guillaume Paisant (first recorded ancestor that we have). He lived during the first half of the Religious Wars in France when Huguenots were persecuted.

There is much, much more to the story, but basically, the book lists about (let me count them) at least 7,200 ancestors, deceased or living up to the late 1960s. The forum would probably not give me enough space to list the names that range from Abbott to Zwicker, with names listed under every letter of the alphabet except Q and X in the first line; except Q, U, and X in the second line; except Q, X, and Y in the third line; and except E, F, I, N, O, Q, U, V, X, Y, Z in the fourth line.

Mom's paternal side is not near as well recorded, with no book, but pages of a family tree laid out in a giant tree spanning about 10 feet wide (as the names go left-to-right rather than up-down) and several pages of genealogy detailed for several members. The first ancestor was Miles Oakley, born in 1616, in Oakley Grove, Oakley, Cumberland in England, married in Great Neck, Long Island, NY (it doesn't list a date of marriage but would have to be between 1632, and possibly 1650), beating Louis Payzant to the New World by 50-70 years, possibly. Again, too many names to list... But not near as many as the maternal side!

Last edited:

Thanks!

You're a first generation Italian American.

Laura

Back