White privilege

The country now known as U.S. had many many nations before the arrival of the Europeans.

It is part of white privilege NOT to see it

I believe the Native Americans refer to their nations as the 500 nations ie. Lakota, Cherokee, Creek, Cheneyene ... etc.

shel90 said:
You are right..even black people do it themselves. My hubby's family calls him the "white" one in their family because he doesnt act black. If black people are doing it, then the full blame shouldnt be on white people only for this behavior. It makes me uncomfortable when they make these kinds of comments
My wife's family does the same. Her family is mixed African-American, Hispanic, and white. A lot of the Hispanic and white relatives make fun of her for not having white-people hair and not knowing Spanish but at the same time turn around and accuse her of acting "too white." Needless to say, it makes me extremely uncomfortable, especially since she is very sensitive around race issues because of years on end of this constant berating and bereavement.

In college in one of my Soc. classes we watched a video....it had different scenes, comparing reactions of various people to a <both people here wearing same "business casual" type of clothing> white man and to an African-American man in shopping. Same locations, same day - guy perceived as white goes into place to buy shoes; people are all over trying to help and they greet him immediately and they smile at him, etc. The African-American man goes into same store and he is ignored as far as help goes but staff start to watch him and follow him around. But no one greets him or offers to help him. Another scene - car dealership. Black man goes in and is quoted a price; white man goes in and is quoted a lower price on same vehicle by same salesperson.

The country now known as U.S. had many many nations before the arrival of the Europeans.

It is part of white privilege NOT to see it

There was actually a TV series where a black family was transformed into a white family; and a white family was transformed into a black family using make-up. The idea was for the families to experience day-to-day life living in a different race.

I only saw one episode, but the episode I saw reminds me about what you wrote.

The TV show is called Black.White.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black._White.

My wife's family does the same. Her family is mixed African-American, Hispanic, and white. A lot of the Hispanic and white relatives make fun of her for not having white-people hair and not knowing Spanish but at the same time turn around and accuse her of acting "too white." Needless to say, it makes me extremely uncomfortable, especially since she is very sensitive around race issues because of years on end of this constant berating and bereavement.

Yes, one needs to question why it is that some of her relatives see being "more white" in some ways as preferable. And when one berates a child for the color of their skin or the texture of their hair, it in effect sends the message that they are not good enough, and there is something inherently inferior about them. That is why the concept of white privilege is so destructive.

There was actually a TV series where a black family was transformed into a white family; and a white family was transformed into a black family using make-up. The idea was for the families to experience day-to-day life living in a different race.

I remember that show. It was actually painful to watch.

Yes, one needs to question why it is that some of her relatives see being "more white" in some ways as preferable. And when one berates a child for the color of their skin or the texture of their hair, it in effect sends the message that they are not good enough, and there is something inherently inferior about them. That is why the concept of white privilege is so destructive.

It truly breaks my heart to see so many people of color feel that way about their skin and hair. My wife isn't the only person I've seen it with. :( :(

Jillio, yes.....

deafskeptic...in my reading and speaking with Native people what I have learned is indeed that there have been and are many nations such as Cherokee Nation, Haudenosaunee Nation, the Anishanabe and so on. Today in my state there are 11 federally recognized tribes.

It truly breaks my heart to see so many people of color feel that way about their skin and hair. My wife isn't the only person I've seen it with. :( :(

No, unfortuately it is wide spread, and is a direct effect of years of discrimination and white privilege. I am truly glad to see people talking about it in an honest and rational way. It is the only way we will ever get rid of the negative side effects. Expose it to the light, and admit the role that we may have unconsciously played in its continuation.

I don't think that actually duplicates living in a different race though. Skin color is only one of many aspects of race. A lot of what constitutes "race" are cultural phenomena shaped by the history of our country. Even if those white people use make up to look black, they still haven't internalized years on end of racism and oppression nor have they adopted the personal history and ancestry that black families have.

yes, race is a cultural construct; that show only gave some people a hint - but the thing was, the white people could always change back and so that element of "power" < as in privilege> is still in their favor

I don't think that actually duplicates living in a different race though. Skin color is only one of many aspects of race. A lot of what constitutes "race" are cultural phenomena shaped by the history of our country. Even if those white people use make up to look black, they still haven't internalized years on end of racism and oppression nor have they adopted the personal history and ancestry that black families have.

That is very true. It only provides confirmation of the fact that we use very superficial criteria for judging people.

I have noticed that more recent arrivals from Africa seem to have a different take on things than blacks who have been here since before the Civil War. But even they think racism is real.

I guess "white privilege" is a neat little way to explain why people don't seem to get everything they think they should. A person didn't get a job because their skin wasn't a close enough colour as the interviewer - it must be a race thing.

I wasn't offered a job for which I interviewed several times - is it because I wasn't white enough or is it for any other number of reasons? I thought I did very well in the interviews!

The whole topic of "white privilege" seems intended to guilt white people into feeling responsible for the troubles of non-white people when, in fact, that is not the case. My family is not rich. My father was the first in his family to go to college, same for my mother. I had poor grade in school and went to a crappy community college where any county resident could get in (and got poor grades there, too) but I'm doing well for myself (I think anyways! no debt, have savings). I've come from a poor but supportive family to create a decent life for myself in spite of any privilege anyone else may enjoy.

Er, my response was to Shel's response on America as the most prejudiced in the world and that Souggy responded to my response to Shel's saying that we also descriminate and I responded to Souggy to name a country that didn't discriminate against their immigrants. So, it all goes back to Shel's response by challenging her notion that we are the most prejudiced country in the world against immigrants.

:)

Also, "most prejudiced" is a loaded one and needs further clarification. Otherwise it's just an opionion with no real factual basis to it. Yes, we have people who are prejudiced and do discriminate. We are not unique in this when compared to other countries who routinely and blatantly do far worse.
whoa that is a loaded one. So what countries are they?

I guess "white privilege" is a neat little way to explain why people don't seem to get everything they think they should. A person didn't get a job because their skin wasn't a close enough colour as the interviewer - it must be a race thing.

I wasn't offered a job for which I interviewed several times - is it because I wasn't white enough or is it for any other number of reasons? I thought I did very well in the interviews!

Race is rarely the defining factor for why someone is or isn't hired. However it is A factor. It's not that black and white and of course if you see it as so black and white you'll think it's a total cop out.

The whole topic of "white privilege" seems intended to guilt white people into feeling responsible for the troubles of non-white people when, in fact, that is not the case. My family is not rich. My father was the first in his family to go to college, same for my mother. I had poor grade in school and went to a crappy community college where any county resident could get in (and got poor grades there, too) but I'm doing well for myself (I think anyways! no debt, have savings). I've come from a poor but supportive family to create a decent life for myself in spite of any privilege anyone else may enjoy.

I'm not seeing how this has to do with white privilege. Your financial status and what you have done to get to where you are now don't change the fact that white privilege exists.

Do a Google search, the info is out there. :wave:

sorry but that won't work in here. Each info will show the result quite differently so I would like to know what YOU think which countries routinely and blatantly do far worse.

Otherwise... as you said - it's just an opinion with no real factual basis to it. :wave:

sorry but that won't work in here. Each info will show the result quite differently so I would like to know what YOU think which countries routinely and blatantly do far worse.

Otherwise... as you said - it's just an opinion with no real factual basis to it.

There are many countries that do things far worse than we what do when it comes to discriminatory and prejudicial actions. Not opinions but based on actual data.

There are many countries that do things far worse than we what do when it comes to discriminatory and prejudicial actions. Not opinions but based on actual data.

and these countries are...?

Back