White Ohio Woman Sues Over Sperm From Black Donor

Oddball

Stay weird
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/white-ohio-woman-sues-sperm-black-donor-25918281

An Ohio woman has sued a Chicago-area sperm bank after she became pregnant with sperm donated by a black man instead of a white man as she and her partner had intended.

The woman is seeking damages and wants to ensure the sperm bank doesn't make a similar mistake again.

Within days of their wedding in New York, Jennifer Cramblett and Amanda Zinkon had become pregnant with the donor sperm. In April 2012, five months into her pregnancy, Cramblett, 36, called Midwest Sperm Bank LLC outside Chicago to reserve sperm from the same donor in the hope that Zinkon, 29, would someday also have a child.

That's when Cramblett learned from a sperm bank employee that she had been inseminated with sperm from the wrong donor, according to a lawsuit filed Monday against Midwest Sperm Bank in Cook County, Illinois.

Cramblett said they had chosen sperm from a man known as No. 380, a white donor. The sperm used for insemination came from No. 330, a black donor, she said.

"How could they make a mistake that was so personal?" Cramblett said during a telephone interview on Wednesday.

According to the lawsuit, her excitement about the pending birth was replaced with "anger, disappointment and fear."

"They took a personal choice, a personal decision and took it on themselves to make that choice for us out of pure negligence," Cramblett said.

A woman who answered the telephone at Midwest Sperm Bank on Thursday would not comment and said an attorney would be providing a statement. She would not give her name or identify the attorney.

Cramblett said she and Zinkon love their 2-year-old daughter, Payton, very much and wouldn't change anything about her. But they are concerned about raising her in the predominantly white community where they live.

The lawsuit said they had moved from Akron to Uniontown for better schools and to be closer to Cramblett's family. She said that as a lesbian she has felt the sting of prejudice but doesn't know what it's like to be mistreated because of skin color.

Therapists have recommended that Cramblett, Zinkon and Payton move to a more racially diverse community with good schools, the lawsuit said.

Cramblett said she decided to sue to prevent the sperm bank from making the same mistake again. The lawsuit says the sperm bank has no electronic record-keeping and no quality controls that would have prevented it from sending the wrong sperm to fertility clinics.

The lawsuit seeks a minimum of $50,000 in damages. Cramblett's attorney, Tim Misny, said some of the compensation would pay for ongoing counseling.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Does that make her being a racist? I am curious about your responses.

I dunno that it makes her racist... Her concern is real (mixed children often are picked on) and is not a hateful comment toward actually BEING mixed.... But whether it is racist or not she still deserves the money. That was a big mistake, and not because of skin color. Their labs should be better organized than that.

I kind of wonder if she would have sued if the race was white and was still a wrong donor than what they specified. I'm sure they would have but a lot of people are going to question that. Either way- I hope they do win based on the fact that they got the incorrect donor.

As for "what's wrong with you why didn't you adopt?" Many reasons- Adoption- at least in the United States is time consuming, expensive and in many cases have many strict rules in place. Considering the couple is gay it would not surprise me that if they had tried to they may have been turned down. There are also some women who still would like to experience the joy of pregnancy and birth and giving life. That's what I'm seeing and have seen in quite a few comments.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go the sperm donor route.

The sperm bank made a big mistake....yes she has the right to sue. Not a racist issue to me. Lot's of couples would love to adopt. It is extremely expensive and the wait for an infant can take years if ever. Foreign adoptions are becoming more difficult also. I hope the little girl is happy, that is all that really matters.

It's easy to read "lawsuit" and jump to conclusions of racism, but let's look at the facts: She was a paying customer. The seller gave her the wrong product. Maybe she would never have learned about racism otherwise, but speculating about parallel universes is a waste of time. She DID learn and is accepting the lessons. From learning about black culture, to traveling to black neighborhoods for a decent haircut, to eventually moving out of their racist neighborhood, she is doing right by her child.

Last edited:
She wanted a white child because she and her partner are white. I don't think it's racist and she should be compensated for their incompetence.

I'm mixed and I understand and would be very angry. When you are pregnant you inVision your baby and how you want to have your family. You put you trust and you thank the people who are making it possible if going through a back so why think that they are giving you something other than what you asked for. That is something you cannot do over it's permanent. Them because of their mistake your world is flipped upside down and you have to rearrange and start a new life. And the fact that the procedure for this is very costly I would definitely sue.

Might be a bad comparison but it's like going to a fast food place and placing a order and when you get home it's not what you ordered. That happens a lot and each time I no the person is mad. Imagine that with a little life your giving birth to I would be furious but of course keep my baby. And me being mixed there is challenges you go through like identity issues especially if they have another baby that will be white.

I am laughing so hard about this woman.

So you would be ok with paying for a procedure that cost in most places $11,000 or more and not getting what you asked for. That's like going to a hospital for appendix removal and they give you a vasectomy.

No she is not racist. The same thing if you want to order sunnyside egg but you got scramble eggs.. so you wouldnt be pleased with it. RIght??

No she is not racist. The same thing if you want to order sunnyside egg but you got scramble eggs.. so you wouldnt be pleased with it. RIght??

+1 !!!
I agree. it has nothing to do with if wanting to adopt or not, want white ,chinese, deaf, hearing. She asked for a white baby. she should be getting a white baby. If she wanted it black, she would have asked for it. simple as that. If I asked for unsweetened iced tea, and i got sweetened tea - I get pissed. I dont want any sugar on my lips but if I touched it, its not the end of the world, but someone has to pay . Its not gonna be me. I am NOT going to fix the problem. They have to. I didnt make it, serve it. I paid for unsweetened tea. I should expect and get an apology and get the right tea.

We have so many problems in this world without having to dissect this....a mistake was made, pure and simple.....move on....

I feel really bad for the baby. That baby is going to grow up feeling unloved and unwanted.

We have so many problems in this world without having to dissect this....a mistake was made, pure and simple.....move on....

A mistake with the life is unacceptable because of something you have to live with its not like ordering sausage and getting ham instead that's fixable not a baby.

A mistake with the life is unacceptable because of something you have to live with its not like ordering sausage and getting ham instead that's fixable not a baby.

I know that and feel bad and everything; however, the central question here is whether or not there's racism involved....

Back