Which word you prefer to use?

What label do you want to use to identify yourself?

• Deaf

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Hearing Impaired

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • HOH (Hard of Hearing)

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have question for all deaf people in this forum, do your relatives or parents treat u like a kid?.. Some relatives still treated me like kids and I feel like stupid because I'm not kid anymore. It's really bothering me so much. how can I make them realize that deaf should treat same as hearing people?

Cheri said:
I don't mind being label either deaf or hearing impaired just don't call/or label me handicap, I just think that isn't the same as not being able to hear. Sometimes people lose their hearing for a reason, sometimes there no reason at all, It happens. But that doesn't stop us from doing what we normal can do, we just cannot hear so that is why I don't like being label "handicap". ;)

I HATE the word "handicap"! :rl: It's like telling me I can't do anything. I don't mind being called deaf or hearing-impaired either. :)

hearing impaired realy means (problems hearing)

ok at 12 i hearing impaired , at 35 i'm now full deaf ; on the other hand at 12 i hated who i was , hated life ,hated everyone. now at 35 .and fully deaf ; i love life . ilove who i am ' and i'm starting to like people,. i'm deaf and to tell you truth i'm proud of it . i'm not confussed anymore alls i got to do now is learn sign, interact with my kind and that is deaf, hoh , hearing who ever it is that understands what we as deaf or hoh go through, and being a person that use to hear , i can tell you from exsperence. i't not the same thing. its actuly totaly different' . but the bottom line is we are still human. we are all just different.for one example i don't miss people bitchen about stupid stuff that doesn't amount to ahill of shit. on the other hand music oh how i miss listening to "tupoc" but if i had to choise between hearing half hearing and being deaf i'd have to say deaf all the way not just because i'm deaf now but because of what i learnd as a hearing person going deaf . the world is full of cruel ugly people and to those of you , i say :fingersx: i have never felt so exsepted in my life as i have been with the deaf communitywe are truely a different kind of person. we don't look at life the same as a full hearing person .. but their are some great hearing people out there that truely do understand what it must be like to have any kind of hearing problem. but if your going to lable "me " lable me as deaf it what i am and its what i to be called. hope i didn't offend anyone but if i did :gives: its only my oppion

Just call me 'hearing-impaired" or "deaf" BUT not "Deaf" or "DEAF"! :)

x10oT said:
I have question for all deaf people in this forum, do your relatives or parents treat u like a kid?.. Some relatives still treated me like kids and I feel like stupid because I'm not kid anymore. It's really bothering me so much. how can I make them realize that deaf should treat same as hearing people?
This is kinda off-topic here.. Nope I never have been treated differently by my parents and family. Have you brought up the issues with your parents/family, they probably don't even realize they treat you that way?

I didnt feel like reading all 3 pages.. So if someone has said what I said, kudos! :)

I chose deaf because I dont like it when people say "hearing-impaired" - I feel like I'm broke. I don't like hard-of-hearing because it puts people under the assumption that I am only partially deaf, and then they talk louder. I don't know, I can talk too, and people automatically assume I have some hearing left, and I don't. So deaf works for me. :P

I always preferred "hard of hearing". Hearing impaired always sounded to me inapropriate. I am profound deaf in left ear while moderate to severe in my rite. Deaf would be too extreme.....i think it would be if hearing loss is more severe than mine.

IMO, I prefers "deaf" or "Deaf" because I am deaf since I was infant. Hearing-impaired is more like Hard of Hearing (or going to loss hearing since been hearing). Being call us deafies, "handicap" is unaccept word that feel they offend us. Disabled is kinda of yes-no.

Impaired is a negative word. are the hearies signing impaired people? or even listening impaired becuase they dont listen to what deaf need?

I aint speaking impaired, seeing impaired, feeling impaired... so on...

I prefer deaf...

I have seen many students and iffy interpreters called "deaf-impaired;" some even call themselves "deaf-impaired" if they understand it enough, or have wandered away from deaf culture. So yes, halford, hearing people can be signing-impaired. I'm ASL impaired, lol. My PSE is great, but my ASL stinks! It's hard I think because English uses a lot of words to express something, and ASL uses very few to say the exact same thing! As someone who has mastered English, it is a hard adjustment to make!

?

:twisted: I dont care much about labels, people treat me how they want to be treated. When people ask i dont tell them unless i like the person, If its a kid then ill just say hard of hearing but if its a adult i wont bother giving info. really i dont give a **** so if a adult got a problem well how ya like this :booty:

MX

Back