Which one would you choose? A Harley hog or a different brand motorcyle?

Which one would you choose? A Harley hog or a different brand motorcyle?

for touring - Honda Goldwing
for casual "grooving" - Harley Davidson. why? it's cool and loud :lol: but I wouldn't trust my life with it

There's a reason why many Iron Butt Rally competitors ditched their Harleys and BMWs for Honda Goldwing/ST1300 and Yamaha FJR1300. BMW K-series and R-series do still remain popular.

FYI - Iron Butt Race is to complete 11k miles in 11 days. This would obviously put a great stress in machine (and the riders :lol: ) so the reliability is an important issue.

Here's interesting finding by IBA official - http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009/2009IBRday-2.pdf
The two makes that have the most dramatic difference between their U.S. market share and their percentage of the bikes on the starting grid are BMW and Harley. Harley, which has about 30% of the highway motorcycle market in the U.S., is the choice of only one rider. In contrast, BMW, which has about 1% of the U.S. market, is the choice of 35% of the riders.

There are two reasons for the lack of interest in Harleys among this crowd; the ergonomics of most Harley models are all wrong for long distance comfort and the company doesn’t enjoy the same reputation other brands have in the areas of handling, braking, reliability, and performance.

BMW’s over-representation on the starting line is also due to a combination of factors; BMWs are relatively light weight motorcycles with great brakes, great ride and handling, excellent ergonomics, and good fuel economy. The company has also enjoyed a reputation for durability and reliability. But that reputation is fading among long distance riders.

The four BMW final drive failures that occurred in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally are having an effect on hardware choices this year. Another K1200GT rider, Jeff Earls, will actually be carrying a spare final drive with him. Long time BMW rider Eric Jewell has taken an even more effective step to minimize the risk of having his ride end with a final drive failure; he sold his BMW and purchased a Honda ST1300. Tom and Rosie Sperry, who have been riding BMWs 2-up for many years, have adopted the same strategy. After experiencing a final drive failure on their K1200LT following the last Iron Butt Rally, they switched to a Honda Gold Wing.

While BMW continues to claim that there is no significant problem with its final drives, a number of long-time BMW riders disagree and are switching brands. BMW’s reputation for building the most reliable motorcycles has been damaged within the long distance riding community. More long distance riders now consider motorcycles made by Honda and Yamaha to be inherently more durable than those produced by BMW. How many riders show up on BMWs in 2011 probably depends on whether there are DNFs caused by mechanical failures this year.

The percentage of Iron Butt Rally riders on BMWs has dropped to 35% this year, down from 43% in 2007. Due in part to several BMW riders switching to Hondas, the percentage of riders on Hondas has increased from 28% to 36%. Yamaha has 19% of the entries, up several percent from 2007.

to learn more about IBA - IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

MV Agusta hands down, Or if really rich i'd get a Neander 1400 diesel turbo...

I would choose a Harley however I fear the vibration would set off my vertigo...... :dunno: May try it

Suzuki SV650 it's affordable and definitely fun bike.

Suzuki_Sv_650_1999_by_5bodyblade.jpg

A Honda Gold Wing just for its dependability. I liked very much the esthetics of the early Triumphs (in the 70's when the Hondas looked really ugly and sounded like they were running on rubber bands, lol). Another English bike of old was the Matchless....a beaut. They also had the BSA....

1980 FLH 80, belonged to my husband's father. It has full dress and a trailer. Classic tan and cream, all original. Perfect for us. A big and beautiful full dresser. Ahhh

I used to ride sport bike, but now I have no interest in two wheel transportation. (with exception of bicycle :) )

If I ever get one again, I would get v-rod, night-hawk or something similar.

Harley trys to sell a lifestyle, and,
the engine tech has remained virtually the same for a long time. and they are so annoying.
and they vibrate. think of all those little bolts slowly vibrating loose..

Some riders aren't impressed with life styles or what the crowd prefers. :)

Harley trys to sell a lifestyle, and,
the engine tech has remained virtually the same for a long time. and they are so annoying.
and they vibrate. think of all those little bolts slowly vibrating loose..

harley still remains the #1 seller in America and for bolt issue... use Loctite

the vibration and noise..... that's the Harley way and I like it! :lol:

harley still remains the #1 seller in America and for bolt issue... use Loctite

the vibration and noise..... that's the Harley way and I like it! :lol:

i live for loud straight pipes! smoke oil and stuff

but come on !! why cant they upgrade the tech? add smother balanced engine, simple!

or just get a modern motoguzi/ triumph same looks..... sorta, possibly
UN-AMERICAN? but america IS built out IMPORTS/immigrants SO UGHHH?:hmm:

im keeping my small-n-crappy ring-a-ding bike. i can fix it on the side of the road anytime.

Harley did upgrade their engine when they invented the V-Rod.

Most of the Harley purists poo-pooed it because they thought it got away from their classic rides.

One odd thing about Harley is that they seem shy about their bikes' horsepower. They always brag about the cc's instead.

A Honda Gold Wing just for its dependability. I liked very much the esthetics of the early Triumphs (in the 70's when the Hondas looked really ugly and sounded like they were running on rubber bands, lol). Another English bike of old was the Matchless....a beaut. They also had the BSA....

There still making the Triumph. Some have the old look to them still too. Bonneville I think it is.
Triumph Motorcycles - Home

Back