Which is best dsl or cable?

rockdrummer said:
I wasn't sure what you were talking about which is why I asked. Based on the link, the answer to my question is "microwave" This is microwave wireless which requires line of site between the antennas. They only guarantee 256kbs throughput and there are many environmental conditions that will affect signal quality and performance including wind, rain, and anything that obstructs the line of sight between the antennas. 10MB throughput is one of the many offerings but again they will only guarantee 256kbs speeds. Obviouisly for the reasons of the environmental conditions. Thanks for the info.

correct and not in my area. Only 5 miles away. Grrr So I suck with DSL.

webexplorer said:
What about a router that has 4 or 8 ports for DSL? I am not sure about that.

Dsl to Router fine

if you use plug Phone and DSL to Wall, if you want DigitalTV for phone, you need another wall becuase Phone only two wire and two ground

rhr said:
Dsl to Router fine

if you use plug Phone and DSL to Wall, if you want DigitalTV for phone, you need another wall becuase Phone only two wire and two ground

Oh, interesting. What about a Y-adapter? Well. I guess that you might be right.

I hooked a Y-adapter for my computer and a TDD. In other room, I hooked a DSL filter for a regular telephone. I also added another filter for my TDD. Actually, I have three telephones in my house included the filters. A filter blocks DSL noises on a telephone except a computer.

webexplorer said:
Oh, interesting. What about a Y-adapter? Well. I guess that you might be right.

I hooked a Y-adapter for my computer and a TDD. In other room, I hooked a DSL filter for a regular telephone. I also added another filter for my TDD. Actually, I have three telephones in my house included the filters. A filter blocks DSL noises on a telephone except a computer.

it is no problem
but if you want both DSL and DigitalTV for Pone can't both in one patch but need two patch

TDD and DSL are (123)-123-1234
DigitalTV with Phone is (123)-123-1235 or can add FAX

3 or more cannot in one Phone Company's cable

I cant comment which one is the best, because i never uses Cable, only dial up and DSL...

Someday i'll try out cable, if i know anyone who got Cable, since there are no Cable in my town. Only DSL or dial up...

So far I'm using DSL and quite happy to use it for now.

Hey you Guys!

I got High Speed Internet Cable, smile. No need get tv cable required. I got it only for high speed internet cable that's it. Thank you guys for comparing dsl and cable and I appericated it lots from you guys, smile. Cable is very fast and in snap (wow) neat!

urm, this isn't true! Cable DOES have its limitation!, I know that DSL limitation is 2,500 feet, which is about 5/8 of a mile, which Cable has limitation of about 3 miles (coaxial) OR 5 miles for Fiber Optics. And the farther the cable, it will slow down, no question about it! I know it from networking class I took long time ago. Nothing got unlimited distance, same goes to wireless, the farther the signal weakens and slows down too.

rhr said:
Cable is very fast any miles! but some town don't have service
Cox Commcation is city only but east have many state

Of course, cable, even DSL can go faster than the speed of a T1 line with one BIG exception... upload speed! Generally upload speed on cable is around 400kbps, while T1 line has same speed both upload and download speed. Normally cable modem operator don't want you to exceed 400kbps upload speed because if doing so, they lose money on premium business account.

What you mean about how far is it to the POP? Don't you know the meaning of POP, eh? Its just short of Post Office Protocol which deals with E-mails.

The cost of T1 and up depends on how long the cable was run from the point of the switch to the customer site. The longer the cable that is used, the more it gonna cost. If you happen to live next to the switch, you would get real cheap rate than those who are 5 miles away and have to pay "Lease" for that 5 miles of cable. This goes to installation cost, the longer the cable, the more it gonna cost at start up.

rockdrummer said:
Cable services exceed the speed of a T1. T1's are about a meg and a half where cable can reach speeds in excess of 4 meg and cost a hell of a lot less. You will pay around 5 or 6 hundred a month for a T1 depending on how far it is to the POP.

diehardbiker65 said:
urm, this isn't true! Cable DOES have its limitation!, I know that DSL limitation is 2,500 feet, which is about 5/8 of a mile, which Cable has limitation of about 3 miles (coaxial) OR 5 miles for Fiber Optics. And the farther the cable, it will slow down, no question about it! I know it from networking class I took long time ago. Nothing got unlimited distance, same goes to wireless, the farther the signal weakens and slows down too.
Well, this is partially true but I think that since your class things have changed. DSL is generally 5 miles from the CO with signal degredation occuring the further you are away from the CO. There are ways to boost and repeat the signal that are starting to make there way out. In the fiber arena there are single mode and multi mode fibers. Multimode fiber can be used in applications up to 10 miles and singlemode can be used in applications up to 40 miles before repeating is necessary. To my knowledge, cable is not distance sensetive.

diehardbiker65 said:
Of course, cable, even DSL can go faster than the speed of a T1 line with one BIG exception... upload speed! Generally upload speed on cable is around 400kbps, while T1 line has same speed both upload and download speed. Normally cable modem operator don't want you to exceed 400kbps upload speed because if doing so, they lose money on premium business account.

What you mean about how far is it to the POP? Don't you know the meaning of POP, eh? Its just short of Post Office Protocol which deals with E-mails.

The cost of T1 and up depends on how long the cable was run from the point of the switch to the customer site. The longer the cable that is used, the more it gonna cost. If you happen to live next to the switch, you would get real cheap rate than those who are 5 miles away and have to pay "Lease" for that 5 miles of cable. This goes to installation cost, the longer the cable, the more it gonna cost at start up.
Uh...diehard you are talking to a senior network/systems engineer. POP stands for Point of Presence.

Neo said:
correct and not in my area. Only 5 miles away. Grrr So I suck with DSL.
wtf? you give sucks with DSL? Don't you mean "struck"? :D

Did you know that you all using cable (hi-speed internet) which are share and merge without your privacy ip address?? Cable dont have any Dynamic IP Address for every individual. anyway, it is dangerous to you, if anyone who using cable to share/merge with others for 24/365 without escape from that, they have good chance to access as hack to break it in your computer. because they can trace your ip address is more easy than dsl.. your cable ip address is always same ip code as same-virus code forever. dsl is more ip address privacy, when you turn dsl offline and turn online. Dynamic IP Address is automatically change ip-address, but depend on various dsl packages what you looking for. Most DSL using Dynamic IP Address.

It is cheaper to get both cable Internet and basic cable TV. Getting only cable Internet is somewhat expensive. I have both, I don't watch cable TV as I have dish TV.

Brian said:
It is cheaper to get both cable Internet and basic cable TV. Getting only cable Internet is somewhat expensive. I have both, I don't watch cable TV as I have dish TV.

Hi Brian -

For a Dish TV, does your TV screen become fuzzy or snowy when it rains, snow, or even heavy cloudy? Will it show closed captions on most channels? My sister had one 5 years ago, and she cancelled the service due snowy screen which not able to recieve it in her area because she lives a sort of near a beach.

I am not sure if the Dish TV has been improved by now.

diehardbiker65 said:
Not always!

You're wrong, DSL is slower than cable does but much faster than dial-up... I just prefer to get cable over DSL because I used had DSL before and don't like it. I just switiched into cable and much better, more faster than DSL.

For fact, DSL will get more and more slower if it too far away from telephone companies.

Let's suppose that I have a DSL or a cable for internet, will I able to hook up a long wire about 100 feet long with a non-wireless router?

Back