Which Dog Food?

alangrylls55

Reaction score
I have heard different opinions on which brand and formula of food is best for very active working dogs... Will y'all give me some feedback on your food choices and any evidence that makes it the best... Price should not be a factor.

I'd say read the nutritional labels of the various brands.

I've always had consistently good results and advice about Eukanuba brand. Do NOT feed Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness, they seem really good on the outside but they are well known for not being honest about what's really in their food. Same goes for Nutro. Eukanuba is honest. I've heard as many good things as bad things about Science Diet and Wellness brands. Nature's Variety is supposed to be good from what I've heard.

Really though nothing is as good for your dog as a home prepared raw diet if you have the time or money - if you have the time, it's super cheap. If you have the money, it's super easy. But not both. If you don't have the time but you do have the money, I recommend Nature's Variety raw dog food, it's as close as you will get to making it yourself. If you decide to make it yourself do TONS AND TONS AND TONS of research so you know what you are doing, it can be very dangerous if you don't do it properly. Back when I was still healthy, I even had to grind the meat and bones for some dogs but not others, and some dogs needed rice while otehrs just needed a carrot with the meat, etc. So not only do you really need to study up on it but it will be a bit pricey with the blood tests you take the dog for in the first year to figure out what he needs in his diet besides meat and bones. But once you do the initial research and testing, it's easy and you will not see a healthier dog.

Good luck!

I make Abby's food. Just boil chicken, brown rice, and a variety of vegetables. She is hands-down the best 7 months old puppy I have ever had and people always comment on her behavior. Granted, I am a strict and loving mama but I really think the quality of food I give her is a big reason why she behaves as well as she does.

I always have fed my dogs raw and bones. They are in good health and great teeth. In my opinion raw and bones is a better choice than any brands out there. It's a personal choice.

Well, from my many years experience with all kind of dogs. It's all depend how well the dogs digestion react and can impact dog's health. As many dogs have skin reaction when eating certain type of dry food. Like losing hair, scalding, itchy and such. This happen to one of my past Australian Sheppard mixed and black lab mixed. I decided to buy Purina Beneful which contain lot of vegetable which good for skin. Some dogs have bad allergic reaction because the type of dog food you get. So you have to experiement what is best for this dog.

We cook for our dogs, and they also get raw meat.

If you want the best, seek out advice from your Veterinarian?

However I worked 4 fours at a Vet Clinic and I studied nutrition as I spent time on Reception.
Eukanuba is a very good brand. There is always Advance (keep in mind I'm in Australia lol) and Hills Science Diet.

If your dog is active then look for the food that is specially for active dogs - higher fat and carbohydrate count to keep up with your dog's metabolism.

Best advice would be from your Vet of course as they know your dog best (after you of course)

Last edited:
I've always had consistently good results and advice about Eukanuba brand. Do NOT feed Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness, they seem really good on the outside but they are well known for not being honest about what's really in their food. Same goes for Nutro. Eukanuba is honest. I've heard as many good things as bad things about Science Diet and Wellness brands. Nature's Variety is supposed to be good from what I've heard.

Really though nothing is as good for your dog as a home prepared raw diet if you have the time or money - if you have the time, it's super cheap. If you have the money, it's super easy. But not both. If you don't have the time but you do have the money, I recommend Nature's Variety raw dog food, it's as close as you will get to making it yourself. If you decide to make it yourself do TONS AND TONS AND TONS of research so you know what you are doing, it can be very dangerous if you don't do it properly. Back when I was still healthy, I even had to grind the meat and bones for some dogs but not others, and some dogs needed rice while otehrs just needed a carrot with the meat, etc. So not only do you really need to study up on it but it will be a bit pricey with the blood tests you take the dog for in the first year to figure out what he needs in his diet besides meat and bones. But once you do the initial research and testing, it's easy and you will not see a healthier dog.

Good luck!
Thank you for letting me know about blue. I am trying to find right kind of food for my senstive dog with bad hair and breath. Now I know. I will try find other brand. :)

Thank you for letting me know about blue. I am trying to find right kind of food for my senstive dog with bad hair and breath. Now I know. I will try find other brand. :)

The brands I mentioned above - Eukanuba, Hills and Advance offer different ranges for different dogs.

I have a Great Dane so I have him on the Giant Breed Advance.
There is an option for sensitive skin - so that might be worth looking into for your pup!

Good luck!

Science Diet is waste of money!

I make Abby's food. Just boil chicken, brown rice, and a variety of vegetables. She is hands-down the best 7 months old puppy I have ever had and people always comment on her behavior. Granted, I am a strict and loving mama but I really think the quality of food I give her is a big reason why she behaves as well as she does.

I know dogs that are feed store brought dog food and they behave fine. Service dogs are feed store brought dog food and the dogs are very will behave.

I know dogs that are feed store brought dog food and they behave fine. Service dogs are feed store brought dog food and the dogs are very will behave.

I agree, the type of food you feed your dog doesn't impact on your dog's behaviour - your training does.

I'd say read the nutritional labels of the various brands.

[snickers] (straight face on)

Try them out yourself. That way, you can decide how your sense of taste compares to your pet's taste, then you know which foods based on your response versus your pet's response.

:wave:

before science diet we taking that purnia dog food till changes brand for dog food

I feed natures recipie to my girls-it's an all natural organic food. Although expensive, it's not as expensive as blue buffalo. I used to feed pedigree because it was cheap but saw a big change in coat condition, stool and energy levels for both of my girls-all were positive. I would recommend natures recipie-venison & rice.

:)

Our dogs like Racheal Ray's dog food. So far they have no problem. If they do I'll have to switch to different brand. They used to eat IAMS but not really crazy about it. They like RR the best.

I do give them bone marrow (can found in the meat dept or ask meat dept for that) once a while....they have so many around the house ha! So that they keep busy chewing it! Sometimes if we go out to dinner, and ordered ribs, I'll save the rib bones and freeze them. They loved it.

Also they love veggies especially carrots!

actually both food and training <or lack thereof> influence behavior.

just as with people, the most WHOLE, un-processed foodS - plural purposely - are best. But dogs and cats are carnivores and need high meat content to survive AND thrive.

Back