Which countries have the death penalty for drug smuggling?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
IN THE early hours of April 29th, Indonesia executed eight convicted drug traffickers. Seven of the eight were foreigners: two Australians, a Brazilian and four Nigerians. The sentences have provoked outrage from the prisoners’ home countries, none of which hands down the death penalty to drug offenders. Brazil and the Netherlands had already withdrawn their ambassadors, following an earlier round of executions in January. Indonesia is rare in executing drug smugglers; in most of the world they are condemned to long stretches in prison instead. Where else does trafficking earn a death sentence?

Thirty-two countries, plus Gaza, impose the death penalty for drug smuggling, according to Harm Reduction International (HRI), a drug-focused NGO. All but four (America, Cuba, Sudan and South Sudan) are in Asia or the Middle East. But in most of these countries executions are extremely rare. Fourteen, including America and Cuba, have the death penalty on the books for drug traffickers but do not apply it in practice. Only in six countries—China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore—are drug offenders known to be routinely executed, according to HRI’s most recent analysis. (Indonesia will soon join this list, following its recent executions.) In Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, South Sudan and Syria the data are murky.

Executions of drug smugglers are becoming more common. Between 1999 and 2014 Indonesia carried out only seven executions of drug traffickers, according to a tally by Australian media. Since taking office six months ago, President Joko Widodo has overseen 14, as part of a fight against drug addiction at home. (Never mind that some of the recently killed prisoners were smuggling drugs out of Indonesia, rather than into it.) An even greater escalation has taken place in Iran, which executed fewer than 100 drug smugglers in 2008 but has put to death 241 in the first four months of this year alone, according to Amnesty International. Possession of just 30g of some synthetic drugs can mean hanging in Iran. China is thought to execute more drug offenders than any other country. It does not publish statistics on its use of the death penalty, but in the first five months of 2014 drug convictions were 27% higher than in the same period a year earlier. Human rights advocates now worry about Pakistan, which earlier this year ended a moratorium on the death penalty. It has 8,000 people on death row, including an unknown number of drug traffickers.

Asia’s toughening approach contrasts with a slackening off in the West. Trading cannabis, which earns beheading in Saudi Arabia, has been legalised for recreational use in four states of America, as well as in Uruguay, and decriminalised in much of Europe and Latin America. Heroin addiction is increasingly treated as an illness rather than a crime: clean needles are available in many rich countries, and a few, including Britain and Switzerland, even prescribe heroin to a small number of addicts. In most areas of social policy, such different regional policies would not matter much. But in the case of drugs, a relentlessly globalising business, the sharply diverging approaches will lead to more uncomfortable stand-offs between East and West.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/04/economist-explains-28

Most of these countries are third workd **** holes, i wpukdnt want much to emulate.
Saudi arabia is a paragon of freedom and respect for women though i grant.that,and a close.friend to the west so....cough.....and.china is another pinicle of freedom, with deep andwide liberty for all, along with good govermnet so csnt bust chinas chops..
Mmmmm..
Sudan, iran, honeymoon spots these days, gaza..well gaza...past time is kids strapping dynamite to their chests to get 70 goats when they meet allah....but yes drugs are evil in the above places...tsk tsk
As for treating addiction asan illnes rather then a crime, thats nota new thing, and methadone has been used for treatment for junkks since its name was.changed for marketing purposes feom adlofoline (named after hitler), to methadone. Methodone is heavily addicting, very very addicting.

Most of these countries are third workd **** holes, i wpukdnt want much to emulate.
Saudi arabia is a paragon of freedom and respect for women though i grant.that,and a close.friend to the west so....cough.....and.china is another pinicle of freedom, with deep andwide liberty for all, along with good govermnet so csnt bust chinas chops..
Mmmmm..
Sudan, iran, honeymoon spots these days, gaza..well gaza...past time is kids strapping dynamite to their chests to get 70 goats when they meet allah....but yes drugs are evil in the above places...tsk tsk
As for treating addiction asan illnes rather then a crime, thats nota new thing, and methadone has been used for treatment for junkks since its name was.changed for marketing purposes feom adlofoline (named after hitler), to methadone. Methodone is heavily addicting, very very addicting.

With methadone being so addicting how does it help people kick the habit? Seems like it would be trading one monkey for another. ...

With methadone being so addicting how does it help people kick the habit? Seems like it would be trading one monkey for another. ...

Thats the idea. Trsde one monkey for another. It terms of treatment the idea is because methadone is a pharmaceuticsl itswuakity is controled..which is true, and it is very very cheap. Which also is true. So at first glance it seems lime a goodidea to reduce hsrm on society, junkies arent getting sick, so they wont be robbing the local ma and pa shop for heroin loot. And eont much be overdosing. As methadone tends to. Cancel out heroin if used together.and since its a scrio the sddiction the story goes csn be controled and the addict weened off...
Ideas are ideas.
Reality of course isnt.that preety.

The countries that excute normally the countries that grow it

Thats the idea. Trsde one monkey for another. It terms of treatment the idea is because methadone is a pharmaceuticsl itswuakity is controled..which is true, and it is very very cheap. Which also is true. So at first glance it seems lime a goodidea to reduce hsrm on society, junkies arent getting sick, so they wont be robbing the local ma and pa shop for heroin loot. And eont much be overdosing. As methadone tends to. Cancel out heroin if used together.and since its a scrio the sddiction the story goes csn be controled and the addict weened off...
Ideas are ideas.
Reality of course isnt.that preety.

So trade one monkey for a governmental one that adds money to their coffers?... not really a benefit for the poor bugger with the first issue...

So trade one monkey for a governmental one that adds money to their coffers?... not really a benefit for the poor bugger with the first issue...

Yep...for the most part. Its first about harm control for society really, looking at the justifications...second is the addict

Yep...for the most part. Its first about harm control for society really, looking at the justifications...second is the addict

Okay... before I put my foot in it lol
How does methodine work?
Meaning, the body becomes used to a chemicle a needs more to reach same result... does methodine follow the same pattern?

Okay... before I put my foot in it lol
How does methodine work?
Meaning, the body becomes used to a chemicle a needs more to reach same result... does methodine follow the same pattern?

Methadone is a synthetic opioid. Ot thus targets the same endorphines as heroin, and is just as addicting, if not more so, the idea is this.
Herion addicts suffer greatly in withdrawl, methadone due to ots closeness with heroin chemicly allows the sick person to use it instead of heroin. Thus you dont get heroin sick. Because methadone is cheap and legal, the ideal followsyoubget a sick junkie get him on the juice. And his medial pysical ilness is adressed. Wich is true. The plm is addiction isnt only and first and foremosta pysical illness. It is thst, but its alos much more, which methadone cannot adress. Also methadone has its own plms. Withdrawl is worse then heroin withdrawl, it eats your bones, it eats your teeth,it causes liver damage so on so forth

Do method one cause teeth problems..what about things like codeine it the codeine part of heroin that the addictive i thought.people live to 100 work carry on life as normal and you never know they got addiction....I believe it should not be criminal offence if legalise it majority of crime stop and the rich dealers stop

Methadone is a synthetic opioid. Ot thus targets the same endorphines as heroin, and is just as addicting, if not more so, the idea is this.
Herion addicts suffer greatly in withdrawl, methadone due to ots closeness with heroin chemicly allows the sick person to use it instead of heroin. Thus you dont get heroin sick. Because methadone is cheap and legal, the ideal followsyoubget a sick junkie get him on the juice. And his medial pysical ilness is adressed. Wich is true. The plm is addiction isnt only and first and foremosta pysical illness. It is thst, but its alos much more, which methadone cannot adress. Also methadone has its own plms. Withdrawl is worse then heroin withdrawl, it eats your bones, it eats your teeth,it causes liver damage so on so forth

You mentioned that doing this addresses harm control for society... what keeps people on methodone from abusing it, needing more and going after society for the funds to acquire more while they wait for their script to renew?

You mentioned that doing this addresses harm control for society... what keeps people on methodone from abusing it, needing more and going after society for the funds to acquire more while they wait for their script to renew?

Methadone is abused every damn day...its a money eaner. Once you figure the rules out..you first get on the program to adress withdrawl, often you want to be able to get more then you need, so, if you only need 80 miligrams tonot get sick, as an example, then before your blood work,one.csn do a good hit over your usual dose of junk....doc sees the result, and sees you need. 140 mil so peoscribes over as is stsndrd to 180 mil...so you can sell the rest. A few ways can be played. At the begining. You need to stand in the junkie line like everyone else at your pharmacy where the juice is mixed and you take your meds...every day..then when trust is bult,depending on the doc not long you gey carriers..a weeks supply...now, need to ween yoursekf off....to 80 mils or wht ever...snd sell the rest,last time i checked it was a buck a mil, on street...but thats ages ago ..
They claimed for decades.methadone couldntbe hyped but it can. You ned to skowly cook the juice out of it,to get the purse methadone then hyoe away...
It also has a huge cross adiction problem...since it eases the jonesing for crack, ofren those on the juice eill end ceoss addicted to rock
I have plenty of other ticks...but
I made my point.
I was never on the methadone programme. But i was a junkie..so thus my first hand.experience.

Methadone is abused every damn day...its a money eaner. Once you figure the rules out..you first get on the program to adress withdrawl, often you want to be able to get more then you need, so, if you only need 80 miligrams tonot get sick, as an example, then before your blood work,one.csn do a good hit over your usual dose of junk....doc sees the result, and sees you need. 140 mil so peoscribes over as is stsndrd to 180 mil...so you can sell the rest. A few ways can be played. At the begining. You need to stand in the junkie line like everyone else at your pharmacy where the juice is mixed and you take your meds...every day..then when trust is bult,depending on the doc not long you gey carriers..a weeks supply...now, need to ween yoursekf off....to 80 mils or wht ever...snd sell the rest,last time i checked it was a buck a mil, on street...but thats ages ago ..
They claimed for decades.methadone couldntbe hyped but it can. You ned to skowly cook the juice out of it,to get the purse methadone then hyoe away...
It also has a huge cross adiction problem...since it eases the jonesing for crack, ofren those on the juice eill end ceoss addicted to rock
I have plenty of other ticks...but
I made my point.
I was never on the methadone programme. But i was a junkie..so thus my first hand.experience.

Which is why I ask you and not Google :D thanks for answering my questions... think we have derailed the thread enough lol :/

I once knew a junkie-'script pills junkie. She had (or has as I have no idea as I'm no longer friends with her) so many docs eating out of her palm. She talked the talk, knew how to fleece the system. She turned on the charm in the clinics and walked out no problem with the scripts. She even had her own family doc plus a surgeon. About 6 docs all told. Per MONTH. OHIP paid through ODSP for the scripts from fam doc and surgeon. She paid for the rest out of her benefits. She had soooo many of them. I'd suspected that she sold many of them and hoarded the rest. I have no idea. So yeah methadone as hoichi said would be soo easy to manipulate. Most doctors are suckers. They don't collaborate with each other to keep tabs on the users.

Most of the Middle east arabic nations have laws forbid you smuggling drugs. Its punishable by death.

Most of the Middle east arabic nations have laws forbid you smuggling drugs. Its punishable by death.

And drinking as well...
But
Are those thrid world ****holes anything you want to emukate? Besides the widefreedom womwn enjoy in those countries, what else to they much odfer?

Saudi Arabia is not a paragon of freedom. Women are not allowed to drive and them following Sharia law is not "a diamond" in freedom. Women are beaten for stupid stuff including not wearing a veil properly. Women can't due anything.

If you think that country is friend in the Middle East, I have concerns for you. They may not be as "bad" as Iraq but little do you realize situations just as bad there too...

Saudi Arabia is not a paragon of freedom. Women are not allowed to drive and them following Sharia law is not "a diamond" in freedom. Women are beaten for stupid stuff including not wearing a veil properly. Women can't due anything.

If you think that country is friend in the Middle East, I have concerns for you. They may not be as "bad" as Iraq but little do you realize situations just as bad there too...
It's called sarcasm.

C,mon kik. I was bein sarcastic trying to be funny....of course your right...saudi arabia is a nightmare allround...
Pass the light girl
(Patting myself looking.for light.)

Back