Which cities in US that has largest deaf communties?

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX appear to have about 40,000 deaf/hard of hearing

Holy, sh...for real?!

I have friends who live there and they haven't mentioned anything about the Deaf community down there. But then again they are hearing. The husband attends SWBTS in Ft. Worth.

Holy, sh...for real?!

margin error on +2/-5

Frankly, we have estimate 70,000, unfortunately, some of them are not consider them deaf or loss hearing that aren't into deaf community that we believe it would be narrow to 50% cut to guess up the amount.

I have friends who live there and they haven't mentioned anything about the Deaf community down there. But then again they are hearing. The husband attends SWBTS in Ft. Worth.

Fort Worth have poor deaf community, they used to have one but thing went sour in 80s.

Not by the number, but per capitas, Rochester has the highest per capita of deafies. We have more than 10 deafies per 100 hearing, the next I think New York city has about 3 deafies per 100 hearing. Rochester isn't big city like LA or NYC.

No way, 10 deafies per 100 hearings? :eek3:

Maybe for RIT (~20k total students with ~1-2k deaf students), but whole city of rochester? I doubt it, where did you hear that?

I don't know the biggest town, but my girlfriend lives in Grand Rapids, MI area. Yes, there are deaf people out there, but not that many. If I wanted to marry deaf community, then I would not pick Grand Rapids.

I don't think it is about which is the biggest community with deaf population, but rather being with someone special and picking a place that the 2 of them can settle in.

Rochester has the highest per capita population of Deaf people under 65.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/nyregion/25deaf.html?scp=1%26sq=Rochester,%20New%20York%20deaf%26st=cse&_r=0

"...while it cannot be stated categorically, that Rochester has the largest number of D/HH per capita in the U.S., it can be said, with some certainty, that Rochester has the largest per capita population of working age (18 to 64) D/HH persons in the country, and most certainly the largest per capita college age D/HH population in the country (18 to 25)."

http://www.ntid.rit.edu/sites/default/files/number_of_persons_who_are_deaf_or_hard_of_hearing.pdf

but my girlfriend lives in Grand Rapids, MI area. Yes, there are deaf people out there, but not that many. If I wanted to marry deaf community, then I would not pick Grand Rapids.
Did you know Grand Rapids has a famous Oral Program?

You're from Olathe? I have a friend from Olathe who sent her hoh daughter to KSD, and they are still pretty active in the local Deaf community...
But Olathe is part of the KC metro area-- once you plug that into the stats, fogeddaboutit*.

*forget about it.

Fort Worth have poor deaf community, they used to have one but thing went sour in 80s.

You got me all excited for a minute there. My parents moved to Fort Worth earlier this year and I've been playing around with the idea of following them. Not that I know enough ASL yet to have an actual conversation, but still.

Did you know Grand Rapids has a famous Oral Program?

Wow, I didn't realize that. I know that my now ex-girlfriend subbed at one school that had oral education for deaf people. Maybe it is that school. Forgot the name. I'm sure I can google it up.

I know that Indianapolis, IN has a good number of Deaf people living there.

Back