Where to go to find deaf who are willing to sign with me?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
As most of you know I am HoH - losing whats left of it and learning ASL. I'm getting fairly confident in my signs that I want to start signing with another ASL'er either deaf or interpetor - basically someone who is fluent.

Now for the dilemma, where I live there is not a big deaf community and I know of no one locally that signs, but in order for me to become fluent I need to sign with someone who is.

If I had a webcam I would be willing to use Skype or some other form of camera chat to sign back and forth with someone, but alas no webcam. Where would I go in West-Central AR to find a place to sign? I dont live in the LR area so going to the AR school for the deaf is out of the question, plus little rock drivers scare the crap out of me.

Thanks in advance,
Dixie

Where in Ark are you living in? Maybe you can do a volunteer at Arkansas School for the Deaf? This will be a good place to get start.

I live 2 hours west of Litle Rock near I-40.

dixie i know several deaf friends that live in Russellville.. let me get in touch with them and get back to u soon, ok.. :)

I Would

But you most likely live across the world. Find a popular deaf spot in your area, you might find some luck there. In salem we have an all deaf coffee shop where i hang out sometimes. Living in the hearing world can be rough if you don't know where to go for communication. Hope this helps.

dixie i know several deaf friends that live in Russellville.. let me get in touch with them and get back to u soon, ok.. :)

FreakyCat, that would be awesome! Can you have them shoot me an email? I think my email is in my profile if not, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Thanks a bunch! :afro:

Dixie

Too bad I live too far cuz I would invite u to several deaf events. :) I have been in your shoes before with learning ASL so I know what it is like.

Thanks Shel, you support is appreciated. Ive never been to a deaf event but even in just everyday social signing with deaf peers is going to help out alot - although if I'm not comnig along fast enough their patience may wear thin. Right now I know only a few signs and Ive been watching some you tube vids where it is strictly ASL no captions to work on my reception skills.

Back