Where to go for summer to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i took a test at FED EX, passed and hired in years ago.
Can you share your experience at FedEx? Do they pay good?
Can you apply everything that @Calvin told about his job at UPS to the FedEx as well?

Last edited:
Speaking about Walmart, I worked at Walmart for almost 4 years. Walmart isn't place to work if you want to chill out so you have to stocking more faster, also put overstock in quickly and zoning quickly. If you work too slow so supervisors and managers will going tell you to hurry up, hurry up, hurry up. If you don't meet their expectation so you will be called to office for meeting and write up.

Salaried managers are most stressful job ever so you are responsible to give commands to all associates, such as put in grocery, electronic dept, toy, medicine, garden, etc. You must check everything to ensure that all jobs are done before sunrise, also my store could get much as 30 pallets, but other like larger could get 50 pallets. You are responsible to scold at anyone for violate their company policies and fill the termination paper to fire anyone. You have to deal with angry customers. You have to deal with shoplifters and meet with police officers. There are many lists for salaried manager, but their pay is fairy good - around over $50,000 per year with benefit, but you will be expected to work more than 40 hours per week.

Target, Kmart and all groceries have similar requirement above like that, but much worse than Walmart, also Walmart willing to hire retirees that need make extra money, additional to their SS retirement payment, but others won't due to ageism.

I'm been work at Walmart for nine months August 2014-May 2015

and I'm chosen quit jobs because of my dumb ass exboyfriend but I'm chosen not return work at walmart anymore its worse nightmares for me..

I'm been overnight stocking food,clothing,beauty,office,baby and mores till zone at 6am-7am for one hours..

How quick can retirees work? I've seen plenty of them, a lot of them have noticeable physical struggles.
They work slow for reason. How do they handle the need to hurry up?

Most of them are cashiers, greeters, salesperson and daytime stocking.

Overnight, mod team and 2nd shift stocking are very physical dependent.

I'm been work at Walmart for nine months August 2014-May 2015

and I'm chosen quit jobs because of my dumb ass exboyfriend but I'm chosen not return work at walmart anymore its worse nightmares for me..

I'm been overnight stocking food,clothing,beauty,office,baby and mores till zone at 6am-7am for one hours..

You shouldn't quit the job because of your ex-boyfriend.

See... everyone have deal with relationship issues, even many of them ruined the job but it won't let them to quit the job.

You may need to apply for burger flipping or cook the French fries, or clean up the table and take garbage out at fast food of your choice.

UPS and USPS are unionized but FedEx is union-free.

This came from FB newsfeed:

78ce7457c7574f11e0d7e79cb1d31de5.png

How quick can retirees work? I've seen plenty of them, a lot of them have noticeable physical struggles.
They work slow for reason. How do they handle the need to hurry up?
as soon as they want, most are door greeters due to disabilities or age.

People on the right don't have basic benefits, they don't have job security, they also pay taxes, and need to buy medical insurance.
The man on the left can leave his place anytime, better job security, and get paid better at another hospital. Medical bills in the U.S. are ridiculous for reason.

Also, I was talking to a man just last night(Deaf social, but he is hearing), who is working at the EMS emergency team. He doesn't make $15, he makes much more money, good benefits, enjoys his job and his job pays enough to afford expensive training.
I wouldn't enjoy burger flipping jobs, it not a great place to work. People that go there might have limited choice. I've been in their shoes, it was the most depressing experience.
You cannot make decent savings working for such jobs.

Last edited:
People on the right don't have basic benefits, they don't have job security, they also pay taxes, and need to buy medical insurance.
The man on the left can leave his place anytime, better job security, and get paid better at another hospital. Medical bills in the U.S. are ridiculous for reason.

Also, I was talking to a man just last night(Deaf social, but he is hearing), who is working at the EMS emergency team. He doesn't make $15, he makes much more money, good benefits, enjoys his job and his job pays enough to afford expensive training.
I wouldn't enjoy burger flipping jobs, it not a great place to work. People that go there might have limited choice. I've been in their shoes, it was the most depressing experience.
You cannot make decent savings working for such jobs.
Well, for most, burger flipping is starting out in the work force, getting on your own from mommas basement. The only way burger flipping is anywhere near a career is being a Manager but still its a low grade income. Its good for college to suppliment an income due to flexible hours and all. I started out burger flipping, i believe my first year I earned a measly amount ( but it was better than $20 week for chores lol )
But I went from Burger flipping, to Hotel Banquet set up, to machine shop,to Gym Rat, to Government reject, then an actual Government pee-on for a good 17 years. Everyone has to find their nitch and go for it... some people are Laborers, some are bench warmers....

78ce7457c7574f11e0d7e79cb1d31de5.png
And those on the right cant get your order right even if their life depended on it. Most are drop outs and the order systems have changed from words to pictures since some cant even read ( I know this for a fact) and they want $15 and hour for what? Word going around most fast food joints may be changed to complete automation, you order at a kiosks and swipe your card/insert cash and in a few minutes "clunk" with only one person working to refill the machines ( basically like using an ATM for food ) because it will be cheaper for the company rather than hire 40 nimwits at $15hr.

So dont burn your bridges at both ends....

I was seriously consider about want drive the semi-truck for hauling and deliveries as backup until I found that I have Usher Syndrome that doomed my hope, even I was about work on to pass the test to get CDL (Class A) in 2006 until my parents told me - it wasn't possible due to RP and deafness.

Althorough, most trucking will go automation soon so only left is independent or contractors.

Now, my job opportunities are limited to office, IT and communication field nowadays.

Well, for most, burger flipping is starting out in the work force, getting on your own from mommas basement. The only way burger flipping is anywhere near a career is being a Manager but still its a low grade income. Its good for college to suppliment an income due to flexible hours and all. I started out burger flipping, i believe my first year I earned a measly amount ( but it was better than $20 week for chores lol )
But I went from Burger flipping, to Hotel Banquet set up, to machine shop,to Gym Rat, to Government reject, then an actual Government pee-on for a good 17 years. Everyone has to find their nitch and go for it... some people are Laborers, some are bench warmers....
Just wondering, have you ever taken a Civil Service test?
(For some reason I thought that was required to work in the Post Office.)

Just wondering, have you ever taken a Civil Service test?
(For some reason I thought that was required to work in the Post Office.)
I havent worked in a post office or any of that nature, but i did work civil service and didnt have to take the test, it depends on which department of the Government you work for. I was in Civil services for Senior Services ( Health and Hospitals and also Building Division ) I worked park, forestry and recreations as well. I also transfered into other departments ( Water division as a pipeman and also meter and tap ) I did everything from laying mains to repairing broke mains, installing fire valves ( worked on the new St Louis Ballpark Village Stadium) Carpentry, construction...the whole shebang ! I was a brute growing up but years of hard labor finally caught up to me.

I also pulled a stint in a medical warehouse pulling and shipping supplies to hospitals and doctors.

I havent worked in a post office or any of that nature, but i did work civil service and didnt have to take the test, it depends on which department of the Government you work for. I was in Civil services for Senior Services ( Health and Hospitals and also Building Division ) I worked park, forestry and recreations as well. I also transfered into other departments ( Water division as a pipeman and also meter and tap ) I did everything from laying mains to repairing broke mains, installing fire valves ( worked on the new St Louis Ballpark Village Stadium) Carpentry, construction...the whole shebang ! I was a brute growing up but years of hard labor finally caught up to me.

I also pulled a stint in a medical warehouse pulling and shipping supplies to hospitals and doctors.
*gasp*
My long-lost brother!

I hear you, dude.

I appears to me all of your experience was at the city level (which in St. Louis is also a county).

I appears to me all of your experience was at the city level (which in St. Louis is also a county).
Most not all. City and county are 2 different vicinity funded individually. Also the pay grade scale (simular to military) are different, I believe mine was classified as G5, so I was higher up than most but still lesser than the big dogs running the show. I was in several news reports on TV as well as several interviews in the papers over my career... I was pretty well known here. I have copies of all the newspapers and Im on the front page , My 15 minutes of fame added up throughout the years.... But they still didnt give a shit when i got injured, goes figures, we are all disposable.

This is funny. I was let go in 2009 after I was injured... look at how the # of cases premeditated dropped after 2009
( I was told by a friend I worked with it is getting shut down now because these guys wont work) and OH LOOK !!!! none of them are wearing Personal Protective Gear...smdh.

Last edited:
But they still didnt give a shit when i got injured, goes figures, we are all disposable.

Yes, that's what employers try to do, blame them for their injuries. Everyone is disposable and then gets replaced, it all part of cycle. At my work center, there's several drivers set to retire this year. A few long timers are out on workers comp, wouldn't surprise me the company try to make them retire early.

Yes, that's what employers try to do, blame them for their injuries. Everyone is disposable and then gets replaced, it all part of cycle. At my work center, there's several drivers set to retire this year. A few long timers are out on workers comp, wouldn't surprise me the company try to make them retire early.
There was 12 workers under my belt that I trained and ran, today theres 4 and only one that I trained.

Moving companies aren't too bad. Often the short timers can get jobs with drivers passing through that need help delivering and pay under the table. I made a good wage in summers doing this (over $12/hr in the 80's I think) and enjoyed it. When I got a side job that paid cash, it was often $100 for half a day's work with some of that riding in the truck. Easier to find work in the summer though when it's moving season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back