Where to go for summer to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no benefits while she worked full time. She had to re-apply her same position repeatedly to keep her job. It took her 10 years to finally get benefits from USPS.
I'm somehow sure that USPS is not that bad. Why?
Because I did run my own business, which required a lot of bulk shipment overseas. I used to visit USPS every week, sometimes twice a week. Often in different locations and cities.
The most surprising, that people work there for years, and don't even want to change a job. I know almost all postal clerks around Bay Area, they now know me very well, too. Whenever I come to the post office, they greet me like their best friend, lol.

Same people, work over the decade, and most of them I already know for over than 5 years. Same people, same people rotating among the different postal offices.
I had the same delivery man at my previous job, we have the same delivery man at our neighborhood. Over the years it is the same person, assigned to the specific location.

People rarely leave USPS, and there must be a good reason for that. I guess it would be difficult to get in there. My husband wants to get a job at USPS. He didn't try to apply though. We will see.

Last edited:
USPS is crazy and don't give a hoot about you and your health problems. I have a friend who works there for years. I think she is a bit crazy, but my hat is off to her. Her position (Data Conversion Operator) once used to be considered part-time and no benefits while she worked full time. She had to re-apply her same position repeatedly to keep her job. It took her 10 years to finally get benefits from USPS. And she is not deaf. She is hearing. A few years ago, she depends on her wheelchair and walker while recovering due to her car accident (she was T-boned). She still works there in her condition. Her femur was broken in half and it took two years for her femur to heal together.

Well, if you are willing to work for USPS, you have to be crazy. Good luck!
yeah but thats not entry level.... Entry is walking the routes...low man on totem pole... Office jobs are for the more skilled ( although still crazy) and you'd think it would be an easy place to work for...lol My mail carrier lived down the street from me, what a flake ( no snow there )

I'm somehow sure that USPS is not that bad. Why?
Because I did run my own business, which required a lot of bulk shipment overseas. I used to visit USPS every week, sometimes twice a week. Often in different locations and cities.
The most surprising, that people work there for years, and don't even want to change a job. I know almost all postal clerks around Bay Area, they now know me very well, too. Whenever I come to the post office, they greet me like their best friend, lol.

Same people, work over the decade, and most of them I already know for over than 5 years. Same people, same people rotating among the different postal offices.
I had the same delivery man at my previous job, we have the same delivery man at our neighborhood. Over the years it is the same person, assigned to the specific location.

People rarely leave USPS. I guess it would be difficult to get in there. My husband wants to get there.
Thats true, good money, benefits and excellent retirement ( if they dont can you first) I know many that worked there personally, some friends, friends of friends and family.... They say its hell working there but the end results are great if you dont die first as well.

I work for UPS 21 years... to the employer especially corporations - anyone is disposable to them. At UPS, it's a very physical job.. they'll overwork you to death. Drivers work 10+hours days and don't get to see their families much after work. It's cheaper for UPS to pay drivers overtime than to put more trucks on the roads.

You start part time when you get hired (starting wages varies by state) here I think it's around $10 to $11/hr. Benefits will kick in if you work over a year. You'll work your way up if you want to become a driver... waiting time will take few to several years. Management position is salary, and is high stress level.

There is more UPS hubs have became automated which means more machines, less humans to do the job.

Other delivery industries like FedEx, USPS, DHL, etc is similar like above.

@Calvin thank you for sharing your experience!
What is your current position at UPS? Did you reach the point, where you start to like your job for decent salary and perks?

Have you considered starting your own internet (e-commerce) business? It's a lot of responsibility but if you can find a niche market and do decently then you may not have to look for a job.

Have you considered starting your own internet (e-commerce) business? It's a lot of responsibility but if you can find a niche market and do decently then you may not have to look for a job.
What kind of business? There are many kinds of e-commerce. For example working online as a tutor, or copywriter, or web-designer, developer, seller and so on.

I did run one export business, shipping merchandise from the US market to overseas.. BUT...
1. Customers tend to abuse with chargeback. It is much easier for them to take payment back, even if they kept the merchandise and like it.
2. Banks, PayPal tend to keep client's side, not seller's.
3. Sometimes merchandise gets lost, stolen, damaged. Even with an insurance, it is hard to make insurance company to pay for your loss.
4. Dealing with frustrated customers that didn't get their package, or not satisfied with it - is another pain.
5. Customers might would like to return the purchased item after a month, and not in a mint condition anymore.
A lot of communications with customers, home is turning into the warehouse, endless boxes, packaging will trash your house quickly(if your business goes well). Also I did some vehicle selling, it brings much more money ~$1000-2000 per car or motorbike. But here is another pain - dealing with people, border and customs control, officials, port logistics, looking and waiting for the available freight company ship, or organizing freight shipping with air company.
A lot of work...to me it was really exhausting, but it strengthened me, and gave some significant experience.
I don't want to repeat it though. Maybe sometime later.

Last edited:
International packages auditor.. Been doing full time. Great salary and benefits is why I stay.

There's a lot of rookies who were hired quit within days or weeks because it's too much work and pressure from the managements. UPS is not for everyone. That's why benefits kick in after a year depending on local.

@Calvin thank you for sharing your experience!
What is your current position at UPS? Did you reach the point, where you start to like your job for decent salary and perks?

International packages auditor.. Been doing full time. Great salary and benefits is why I stay.

There's a lot of rookies who were hired quit within days or weeks because it's too much work and pressure from the managements. UPS is not for everyone. That's why benefits kick in after a year depending on local.
Thats where the term Slaving Away comes in....lol

Thats where the term Slaving Away comes in....lol

Back in the day when I was hired, it was 90 days. In the 2000s, more people quit within a short period of time and it costs company money. Hence the reason for the changes.

I did applying UPS twice and UPS not hired me!! Makes me pissed off because I'm deaf and also post office wouldn't hired me also but I'm so mad!

Oh gal, you need new pair of white socks and white Nike shoe.

You can't expect all companies to hire you so you need to go to adult school first so you need ask VR about it.

Sara, also you may have to take a long test to pass if you want to apply in some companies. Then don't need to be mad if you try your best. Life is short so be patience and cool yourself.

Speaking about Walmart, I worked at Walmart for almost 4 years. Walmart isn't place to work if you want to chill out so you have to stocking more faster, also put overstock in quickly and zoning quickly. If you work too slow so supervisors and managers will going tell you to hurry up, hurry up, hurry up. If you don't meet their expectation so you will be called to office for meeting and write up.

Salaried managers are most stressful job ever so you are responsible to give commands to all associates, such as put in grocery, electronic dept, toy, medicine, garden, etc. You must check everything to ensure that all jobs are done before sunrise, also my store could get much as 30 pallets, but other like larger could get 50 pallets. You are responsible to scold at anyone for violate their company policies and fill the termination paper to fire anyone. You have to deal with angry customers. You have to deal with shoplifters and meet with police officers. There are many lists for salaried manager, but their pay is fairy good - around over $50,000 per year with benefit, but you will be expected to work more than 40 hours per week.

Target, Kmart and all groceries have similar requirement above like that, but much worse than Walmart, also Walmart willing to hire retirees that need make extra money, additional to their SS retirement payment, but others won't due to ageism.

Sara, also you may have to take a long test to pass if you want to apply in some companies. Then don't need to be mad if you try your best. Life is short so be patience and cool yourself.

That why I told her that she needs go to Diversity School.

If you work too slow so supervisors and managers will going tell you to hurry up, hurry up, hurry up.
also Walmart willing to hire retirees that need make extra money,
How quick can retirees work? I've seen plenty of them, a lot of them have noticeable physical struggles.
They work slow for reason. How do they handle the need to hurry up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back