Where to find Deaf/HoH guys in Austin to date?

facadepapergirl

Reaction score
First of all, before you read any further, I am Hearing. My hearing is pretty bad, but I don't know how bad one's hearing must be to be HoH. But I'm learning sign, or trying, anyways. I moved to Austin mainly because of the large Deaf community. I want to become an interpreter one day. So, it's not that surprising that I am interested in a signing boyfriend. I like the idea of my passion being a large part of my significant other's life. Sharing something that touches us both. Anyways, I've been searching for sign language users on OKCupid, but I was surprised to only see a few users, all who had only a passing ability with sign, like me. While I messaged those who seemed interesting, I realised that maybe OKCupid was the wrong place to look for that kind of quality.

So, what places would be better? There are a lot of Deaf dating sites, if you look, but finding ones that cater to any signers, or otherwise allows Hearing people like me seems hard to find. There was one ASL dating site, but you had to pay even to send a message, and it seemed to be charging more than it was worth.

If you live in Austin, and want to meet up, feel free to send me a PM, but I'm looking more for dating sites that would suit me and what I'm looking for.

First of all, before you read any further, I am Hearing. My hearing is pretty bad, but I don't know how bad one's hearing must be to be HoH. But I'm learning sign, or trying, anyways. I moved to Austin mainly because of the large Deaf community. I want to become an interpreter one day. So, it's not that surprising that I am interested in a signing boyfriend. I like the idea of my passion being a large part of my significant other's life. Sharing something that touches us both. Anyways, I've been searching for sign language users on OKCupid, but I was surprised to only see a few users, all who had only a passing ability with sign, like me. While I messaged those who seemed interesting, I realised that maybe OKCupid was the wrong place to look for that kind of quality.

So, what places would be better? There are a lot of Deaf dating sites, if you look, but finding ones that cater to any signers, or otherwise allows Hearing people like me seems hard to find. There was one ASL dating site, but you had to pay even to send a message, and it seemed to be charging more than it was worth.

If you live in Austin, and want to meet up, feel free to send me a PM, but I'm looking more for dating sites that would suit me and what I'm looking for.

Youre losing your hearing and want to be an interpreter, how do you guarantee You can 100% effectively hear to interpret appropriately and how do you know signing is your thing if you havent mastered it yet?

Have you even been to any deaf socials in Austin?

There are interpreters who are deaf/hoh. I saw a video about it a while back. There was a woman who went to RIT who was deaf/hoh and she got an interpreter's certificate to interpret in certain situations. I'm not sure what the details were. Something to research.

I think they communicators rather than terps.OP learn sign and emmerse herself in deaf community it not going to be easy but if really wants this then she do it as for boyfriend I think op got slightly romantic ideas boys in general want one thing so don't put yourself out that easy

I've been thinking about that lately. What if I get my ears cleaned out and tested and after everything is said and done, the doctor says that I'm HoH. If I can get hearing aids, it should still be fine, but if I can't? What's the point of me pursuing this career? But, this post is about finding a way to meet deaf guys in order to possibly get a Deaf/HoH/signing boyfriend.

And even though I'm not very good at it, I'm passionate about it. When you have a passion for something, you don't wait until you're a master to decide that you like it. I love drawing, and I'm passionate about that, too. I want to become good enough to be able to live off of it one day. Right now, I'm definitely not at that level. But I still know that it's something that I want to do. Similarily, I love ASL, and just seeing people sign feels me with joy. And I love helping people. This seems like an excellent career choice... if my hearing doesn't inhibit it.

And I haven't been to any socials. I gained a passable level in sign after taking a semester in college, but I had to stop after that, and I've gotten rusty. To put it succinctly, I'm embarrassed at my level of signing, and shy. I know that the best way to get over it is to go out there and put myself in the thick of it, but making me go out and do it, alone, is difficult.

facadepapergirl, I have a few observations about your posts. : You don't know if you're losing your hearing or whether you've just got wax in your ears. You say your hearing is "pretty bad," yet you're not sure if you'd be considered "hard of hearing." You say you've moved to Austin because of the large Deaf community, but you don't actually know enough about that community to know how/where to meet them, so you've been trying to find a Deaf/HOH boyfriend through online dating websites. You've had one semester of sign language but you're starting to get rusty, and it seems to me like you're looking for a Deaf/HOH boyfriend in part so he can help you learn sign. You say you're passionate about sign and want to help the Deaf and HOH population, but you don't know what "HOH" means and you don't appear to know what the different levels of hearing loss are.

You keep worrying about your supposedly "bad" hearing, which you haven't gotten tested yet (You say you don't have insurance, but as I suggested in another thread, there may be clinics in your area that test hearing for free). I think your first step should be getting your hearing tested, so you will have some of the answers you're looking for (You'll know whether you're hard of hearing and you'll know what an audiogram is. You may also find out about the different types of hearing loss and the levels of hearing loss.).

It's nice that you say you're "passionate" about signing and wanting to be an interpreter, but you also seem very naive about the population you'd be serving. So get out there and meet and learn from them, and definitely get your own hearing checked, because otherwise you won't learn important information about hearing in general and about your own health in particular.

Last edited:
Back