Where do deaf people go to look for or post jobs?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Besides big names like Indeed.com and Monster.com, where do deaf people go when they're looking for a job or want to post their resumes?

While we're on topic, are you currently looking for a job? If so, for what position?

Indeed, Dice, Monster, LinkedIn, GettingHired, SimplyHired, Diversityjobs, AngelList , and of course.. Vocational Rehabilitation (though they mostly don't know what to do with me...)

Sometimes I attend online job Fairs (one is sponsored by Bender- a consulting company that specializes in working with disabled job seekers).

I do have a few job sites geared to Deaf including the Gallaudet alum BisonLink one- but most are for education type jobs.
a few others-
deafjobwizard
Deaf Unity this is a new one.. just found this one 5 minutes ago...Hmm.

Yes I'm currently a job seeker.
What position(s)?- Developer/Programmer or QA Tester (either Web or Mainframe). So currently looking for entry level or junior level Developer jobs- or even QA as it's been 'a while' since my last full time job.

PM me if anyone has a job lead! Open to relocation (depending on where).

I see a ton of job opportunities posted right on Facebook. Whether it’s just a single ad or in the “Marketplace” on FB (choose the jobs category).

If you have connections with friends who have a job at schools, government, agency or corporate company, you can use them as a reference. Many companies, government agencies and schools WANT references. Applying for a job online without reference is useless.

If you have connections with friends who have a job at schools, government, agency or corporate company, you can use them as a reference. Many companies, government agencies and schools WANT references. Applying for a job online without reference is useless.

hahahaha .... err sorry
I've TRIED the " friends who work at x,y or z company" or friends who know others that can help... give them my resume... then poof... nothing - black hole- same place online applications go lol. I'm sure it works great for some people though... and for those who are awesome at networking (I don't do super well with that).
Right now I have 4 possibilities (I may have torpedoed one of them though), one is through someone I met in a Slack group.... we'll see- it's only in the application phase. Out of all the job apps I've done in at least the last year... only one was a referral from a friend; got an interview but wasn't selected. I did get other interviews from applying directly to companies or through some email queries from recruiters/hiring people.

I don't think it's TOTALLY useless to try applying online without using a referral. There's so many opinions-- "Job boards are worthless"/"no, job boards are still good- they've cut down on the spam & scams", "Networking is a MUST!"/"ah you don't necessarily need networking or go to meetups" (I rarely if ever go to networking events or meetups simply for the fact of...those events are noisy and/or difficult to hear in), "Cover Letters...YES"/"Cover letters get ignored" and so on. Now if I apply and THEY ask for references sure I've got those (finally LOL).

I've been burned a few times so I'm wary these days. Doesn't mean I will rule anything out as far as ways to "get my foot in the door". I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I've had people tell me they can't figure out WHY I'm not getting the interviews or hired when my resume & skillset is "impressive", great, <fill in the blank> and I'm active in my job hunting. I can't either...

I see a ton of job opportunities posted right on Facebook. Whether it’s just a single ad or in the “Marketplace” on FB (choose the jobs category

Thanks! I keep forgetting about Facebook's job listings. Google even has google jobs if you type in jobs and the title.

Temp agency could be another way to go. I got my current job via a temp agency. One good thing about those is you work for them and they can see how hard and good you are and might be willing to hire you permanently.

When I moved back to California after high school, I searched around and filled application to several places without any luck. I went to DCARA office to explore about a job and they sent me to the EDD (Employment Development Department) and landed a job with the company I'm still working after 20 years. In the early days, I've worked 2nd job for few years at floral company that my sister used to manage... I delivered flowers for customers.

(sarcasm) You mean AG Bell was WRONG and I won't automaticly be getting job offers from Fortune 500 companies simply b/c I can speak well? (/sarcasm)

hahahaha .... err sorry
I've TRIED the " friends who work at x,y or z company" or friends who know others that can help... give them my resume... then poof... nothing - black hole- same place online applications go lol. I'm sure it works great for some people though... and for those who are awesome at networking (I don't do super well with that).
Right now I have 4 possibilities (I may have torpedoed one of them though), one is through someone I met in a Slack group.... we'll see- it's only in the application phase. Out of all the job apps I've done in at least the last year... only one was a referral from a friend; got an interview but wasn't selected. I did get other interviews from applying directly to companies or through some email queries from recruiters/hiring people.

I don't think it's TOTALLY useless to try applying online without using a referral. There's so many opinions-- "Job boards are worthless"/"no, job boards are still good- they've cut down on the spam & scams", "Networking is a MUST!"/"ah you don't necessarily need networking or go to meetups" (I rarely if ever go to networking events or meetups simply for the fact of...those events are noisy and/or difficult to hear in), "Cover Letters...YES"/"Cover letters get ignored" and so on. Now if I apply and THEY ask for references sure I've got those (finally LOL).

I've been burned a few times so I'm wary these days. Doesn't mean I will rule anything out as far as ways to "get my foot in the door". I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I've had people tell me they can't figure out WHY I'm not getting the interviews or hired when my resume & skillset is "impressive", great, <fill in the blank> and I'm active in my job hunting. I can't either...

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town.

It's cool. After your friends turned your resume in, did they personally ever ask them later ensuring they have your resume? Some HR departments tend to be careless and forgetful. Did your friends talk to their managers or bosses about you directly? Had managers or bosses talked to HR directly?

Are you searching for IT job, right? Or in general related to computer programming? I cannot remember what degrees you received from schools. Have you done volunteering jobs between your jobs?

I am not looking for a job yet, but I do have a question. I'm curious, if I could lip read well enough and I use my own voice during the interview do I have to tell the employer that I do not hear? Do they even ask you questions like that?

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town.

It's cool. After your friends turned your resume in, did they personally ever ask them later ensuring they have your resume? Some HR departments tend to be careless and forgetful. Did your friends talk to their managers or bosses about you directly? Had managers or bosses talked to HR directly?

Are you searching for IT job, right? Or in general related to computer programming? I cannot remember what degrees you received from schools. Have you done volunteering jobs between your jobs?

To be honest most of the time I don't know what happens to my resume or if they ever made it to HR or Hiring manager. I DO know one I gave to a neighbor of my aunt's- he walked it to HR and it's there as told to my aunt. I had already applied to one job there and I need to look again. Another neighbor of hers gave me the name of a recruiter (as that particular bank tends to lean to hiring contractors..)- sent my resume to her. Unfortunately many people I know tend to be forgetful as they have their own lives to worry about. I do try to follow up when it's been "a while" to find out the status. IT is notorious for being fickle and lots of ghosting... because the competition is so tough- one job can net upwards of 500 resumes/applications.

Yes- searching for IT jobs- currently specifically Web Development/Programming jobs at an entry /junior/apprenticeship type level. I also have background in QA Testing and Mainframe. My BA degree was a major totally unrelated to computers, my certificate through UofU is in Web Development and another "diploma" from a different school in Computer Programming(COBOL).

As for volunteering, most of the time between jobs were short enough that I didn't worry too much until this last one. But yes.... volunteered for 3 years doing basic data entry/electronic file filing work. Left that to go to the bootcamp. Right now I have a couple of opportunities on my plate in various stages. Two ended up being a bust for different reasons but at least 2 more are viable still... even though one has nothing to do with IT or programming.

I'll have to look into volunteering or something similar again. And I'm continuing working on my coding and improving some of my old homework. And I look for opportunities to go to conferences (if possible) or attend a... ah how to describe it..."learning experience"/mini internship (did a weeklong one beginning of August). It's tough as I don't have a 'pocket interpreter' LOL.

To be honest most of the time I don't know what happens to my resume or if they ever made it to HR or Hiring manager. I DO know one I gave to a neighbor of my aunt's- he walked it to HR and it's there as told to my aunt. I had already applied to one job there and I need to look again. Another neighbor of hers gave me the name of a recruiter (as that particular bank tends to lean to hiring contractors..)- sent my resume to her. Unfortunately many people I know tend to be forgetful as they have their own lives to worry about. I do try to follow up when it's been "a while" to find out the status. IT is notorious for being fickle and lots of ghosting... because the competition is so tough- one job can net upwards of 500 resumes/applications.

Yes- searching for IT jobs- currently specifically Web Development/Programming jobs at an entry /junior/apprenticeship type level. I also have background in QA Testing and Mainframe. My BA degree was a major totally unrelated to computers, my certificate through UofU is in Web Development and another "diploma" from a different school in Computer Programming(COBOL).

As for volunteering, most of the time between jobs were short enough that I didn't worry too much until this last one. But yes.... volunteered for 3 years doing basic data entry/electronic file filing work. Left that to go to the bootcamp. Right now I have a couple of opportunities on my plate in various stages. Two ended up being a bust for different reasons but at least 2 more are viable still... even though one has nothing to do with IT or programming.

I'll have to look into volunteering or something similar again. And I'm continuing working on my coding and improving some of my old homework. And I look for opportunities to go to conferences (if possible) or attend a... ah how to describe it..."learning experience"/mini internship (did a weeklong one beginning of August). It's tough as I don't have a 'pocket interpreter' LOL.

That's tough. I suggest reminding your friends personally to talk to HR and their managers again directly. It always seems to work. That's how my husband's friends (engineers) got their jobs at companies. I've heard some IT stories through my husband. Hubby may have electrical engineering background, but he has computer science experiences like embed system and C++. Corporate companies want both engineering and computer science backgrounds for jobs. They're extremely desperate. They depend on my husband's computer science skills. I will ask him about your resume and listen to his opinion, but he is away on a trip. He will come back in a few days.

Add your volunteer experiences to your resume. I just remember my friend has been taking online classes for IT. He considers himself a HOH now since he received two cochlear implants 6 or 7 years ago. He still uses ASL. Anyway, he has been a volunteer at a hospital for three years, I think. He says he plans to apply a IT job at the same hospital soon, but he didn't say when. I have a feeling he will get a job, but I could be wrong. The important part is his co-workers at hospital know him and his personality. Just giving you some ideas.

Add your volunteer experiences to your resume. I just remember my friend has been taking online classes for IT. He considers himself a HOH now since he received two cochlear implants 6 or 7 years ago. He still uses ASL. Anyway, he has been a volunteer at a hospital for three years, I think. He says he plans to apply a IT job at the same hospital soon, but he didn't say when. I have a feeling he will get a job, but I could be wrong. The important part is his co-workers at hospital know him and his personality. Just giving you some ideas.

Yep added my volunteer work in there... in the "Experience" (formerly "Work Experience" section for now. Included the 1 week immersion experience I did beginning of August as it does relate to IT & Web Development. I'm going back through old assignments to redo some lol (and to push to GitHub)... really need to put together a portfolio site. I'm great at coding but terrible at design.

I don't really bother with the friends angle anymore- even with follow up/reminders it really is a crap shoot on if they'll actually remember. It's great if I can get somebody to help etc but feeling like many times I'm on my own anyway so... forging ahead that way and if help is offered I won't shy away if I know it's something that will benefit.

One interview this week *crosses fingers* - well that is depending on how Hurricane Florence shakes out- even though the interview is remote- the interviewer is in a city that may still be affected by Florence.

Yep added my volunteer work in there... in the "Experience" (formerly "Work Experience" section for now. Included the 1 week immersion experience I did beginning of August as it does relate to IT & Web Development. I'm going back through old assignments to redo some lol (and to push to GitHub)... really need to put together a portfolio site. I'm great at coding but terrible at design.

I don't really bother with the friends angle anymore- even with follow up/reminders it really is a crap shoot on if they'll actually remember. It's great if I can get somebody to help etc but feeling like many times I'm on my own anyway so... forging ahead that way and if help is offered I won't shy away if I know it's something that will benefit.

One interview this week *crosses fingers* - well that is depending on how Hurricane Florence shakes out- even though the interview is remote- the interviewer is in a city that may still be affected by Florence.

I understand. I hope Hurricane Florence will disappear quicker. I heard the reports of tornados now. Hurricane Florence is doing the same thing as Hurricane Harvey. It's awful. Good luck with your interview!

I understand. I hope Hurricane Florence will disappear quicker. I heard the reports of tornados now. Hurricane Florence is doing the same thing as Hurricane Harvey. It's awful. Good luck with your interview!

Thank you! It went very well... I was pleased with it... a lot less pressure/stress doing it by online chat means! The interviewer actually said the same thing!. We'll see what happens this week.

Florence is long gone now but some areas are still dealing with flood water- especially out on the coast. Where I live all we really saw was heavy rain for about a day and a half- felt like normal rain storms to us. But we were prepared anyway. Charlotte- some areas got hit and lost power plus flooding.

Indeed, Dice, Monster, LinkedIn, GettingHired, SimplyHired, Diversityjobs, AngelList , and of course.. Vocational Rehabilitation (though they mostly don't know what to do with me...)

Sometimes I attend online job Fairs (one is sponsored by Bender- a consulting company that specializes in working with disabled job seekers).

I do have a few job sites geared to Deaf including the Gallaudet alum BisonLink one- but most are for education type jobs.
a few others-
deafjobwizard
Deaf Unity this is a new one.. just found this one 5 minutes ago...Hmm.

Yes I'm currently a job seeker.
What position(s)?- Developer/Programmer or QA Tester (either Web or Mainframe). So currently looking for entry level or junior level Developer jobs- or even QA as it's been 'a while' since my last full time job.

PM me if anyone has a job lead! Open to relocation (depending on where).

Thank you...

Back