Where did your family immigrate from?

annasymmetric

Reaction score
In class this week we have been signing about our family tree and history. This mostly applies to Americans (since our families all migrated here at one point), but people from other countries can participate. We also should include the reason why our families migrated. :)

My Mom's side is a little unclear, but I know my grandmother's last name was French, Suplee, but her family was in the US for several generations. My grandfather's last name was Edwards, and I believe he
was strong Irish.

Why did my Mom's parents migrate? I'm unsure, probably from war. A lot of men on my mom's side served.

My Dad's Mom (my grandma) was from Lithuania, last name Gerkis, which she moved as a young adult with her 3 older sisters to Scotland, where she met my grandma, Harkness. This was changed to Donnelly at some point much later, upon moving to California. My Dad was born in Scotland, and moved to the states when he was 8 years old.

Why did my Grandma migrate? Food and work.

Sent from my DROID4 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Last edited:
Umm....

I'm not quite sure why my parents moved from Romania..... :hmm: I don't think I really have ever asked... or it's really come up in conversation to be honest... not really ever been curious... just kind of accepted it.... :dunno2:

Im nit exacty sure from what part my great grandparents migrated from but they were sent to concentration camps and managed to escape. Bith met back in mexico. And eventually moved to the northern part of mexico where the border is . Thats from my mom's side. From my dad's side i know some if the family came from spain and from my grandpa its was from some native group here in mexico.

migrate? you mean..... immigrate?

migrate is when you move back and forth seasonally :lol:

my family immigrated to America from Korea. life of opportunity, perhaps.

migrate? you mean..... immigrate?

migrate is when you move back and forth seasonally :lol:

my family immigrated to America from Korea. life of opportunity, perhaps.

I was going to leave migrate alone.... :laugh2: I of all people, was going to leave it alone! I LEFT IT ALONE AND YOU DIDN'T! I just want to go on record that I left migrate alone... :laugh2: I left it alone!!! :laugh2:

My earliest ancestors on both sides of the family that I can document were English and came to America on the Mayflower (Brewsters and Doty). Later, more came from England (Starr family) to Connecticut, and from Holland (late 1600's, Van Cats, Jans, several others) to New York. My last and most recent ancestor came from the Portuguese Azores to Massachusetts in 1848.

Both my parents immigrated from the Philippines for work and opportunity. Philippines is a third world country and having the chance to get your green card is tough. Once they got the chance, they went for it. I am a first generation American-Filipino, the ONLY one that can't speak or understand my parents language. So often I get asked why I don't speak their language. I just don't get it, no matter how much I try.

I used to know how to count to 10 in Tagalog, but that was the extent of my knowledge :)

I think the first ones to come over were in my moms side from France in the late 1700's. My grandparents are Mormon and have done a lot if genealogy. Pretty sure there's well French, Irish, English, Welsh and German. There Cherokee in there from my moms dad's side but obviously they didn't immigrate...or migrate. It goes back pretty far and they've been mixing ever since.

I was mostly interested in my mom's mom's mom tree etc but the emphasis was on the male lineage so turned me off no one bothered to keep accounts of the moms in the records but for the males everyone made sure there were records. I know the mother lines are more likely to be 100% true line. While the father line could be many factors.

you all know they didn't do DNA tests back then and assumed the father was always the father of the children.

So whoever lineage you claim to be keep that in mind it might not be your lineage after all. But an adopted lineage not blood lineage.

You beat me. I had to think about it, then I just looked up the translation. I got 9 out of 10. :eek3:

Oh I don't remember anymore, that was a loooong time ago. They taught us in school. I lived there from 1983-1986 when my dad was stationed on Clark AFB. So 20 years ago or so :) I have an adopted Filipino brother. We got him when he was 3 weeks old, he'll be 30 this year.

We came from Ireland, my father's side of the family is from Northwestern England (Carlisle).

Japan...they came here for a new place to live and wanted to retire somewhere where the price of living wasn't so high. I've never really asked why we came here. I just assumed it was something they wanted to do and we're here.

Oh I don't remember anymore, that was a loooong time ago. They taught us in school. I lived there from 1983-1986 when my dad was stationed on Clark AFB. So 20 years ago or so :) I have an adopted Filipino brother. We got him when he was 3 weeks old, he'll be 30 this year.

Did he ever learn or embrace his heritage?

Where did your family migrate from?

Did he ever learn or embrace his heritage?

No, he's American. They people that loved him, raised him are American. Filipino might be his race but it's not his culture.

As far as I know he's not really curious about it.

I was going to leave migrate alone.... :laugh2: I of all people, was going to leave it alone! I LEFT IT ALONE AND YOU DIDN'T! I just want to go on record that I left migrate alone... :laugh2: I left it alone!!! :laugh2:

But look at all the 'likes' you got for leaving it alone!

I'd love to hear more of that story.

The movie 'Fiddler on the roof' would give you some idea of how life was for my dad's family . They came over in steerage class and landed in Boston
in the late 1800's or early 1900's . They had to go into a holding area b/c the younger son had an eye infection . I believe dad's father and oldest brother came here first and send for the family . Dad's family came from Siberia , Russia . They lived in a house with a dirt floor and had to live on the byproducts of animal and hunts for animals that where found frozen in caves .
Dad told us that there was a blizzard coming while he was in one room school house and he was the only child that no came to walk home . The storm was so bad a child would had gotten lost and dies . Dad said the there was no more wood to burn so he tried fid his way and his dad showed up b/c dad mom told the SOB to go get his son. Dad 's father had to leave his village for awhile and when he came back he found his wife pregnant with dad and he fought his wife got raped and that dad was not his son. Women where getting raped when their men left to find food for their families.

Back