When it rains it pours... Lol

Nix Snow

Reaction score
This is more for a laugh than anything else. We're pretty sure it's the alternator, but......... Holy cow, you won't believe this...... But I can't even make this up. Believe it or not, this is me trying to keep it short.

I just bought an 06 Jeep Commander. We drove an hour North, through Detroit. (My boyfriend>) Ryan's car breaks down 2 blocks away, so we walk there. Go for the test drive and go to the bank. Get the money, drive back. Turns out their credit card machine is broken so we have to drive another 10 miles to a bar they own to run the remainder on credit. Then, we go to jump the car and try to get home.

This is where it gets fun. It works great, until about 7 mile. South of 9 mile is ghetto, and after 8 mile, everything is like....... Literally, you might get shot. We pull over, and within seconds, an SUV with 4 guys pull up and motion me to roll my window down. I'm like, don't have a panic attack, don't have a panic attack..... What's up? They ask if I want drugs. WHAT THE #$@%#??! No.... Then they wave Ryan over and proceed to, right in front of me, ask him whatever he's into... Guys, girls. LOLOL! They tried selling him prostitutes! XDXD

Then, we check to see about removing the battery, and oh no. No tools... So we drive 10 miles in the opposite direction, buy a battery and a couple tools and drive back to the car. Amazingly, we got the rest of the way home and got it to the mechanic. I could probably fix it, but at this point we're both like.. I'm beat, got a migraine... He's got a headache... *huffs* It's been a heck of a day.

Mind you, that's the short version. I cut out some other details lol

Next time you're having a rough day, think of us and laugh. :) It's been a weird day.

Wow! My Hubby has a 2006 Jeep Commander, and he's from Michigan, so he's familiar with Detroit. :lol:

Broken down cars in sketchy neighborhoods is no fun. Glad you got out OK. :)

Broken down cars is never fun. Last year I was driving my Ford Explorer on the highway on the way to work, it all ran fine, then got into the offramp stopping at the stoplight, engine shudders and slowly dies. Turns out Fuel pump lost pressure and died after 200k miles, got it towed to the shop where they dropped the fuel tank to replace the pump. Few months later got rear ended on the highway by a honda driver who fell asleep. Totalled so I got the money from his insurance and got rid of it. I have since bought my 2017 Mazda CX-9. :)

Replacing fuel pump... expect to pay more for labor. :(

Broken down cars is never fun. Last year I was driving my Ford Explorer on the highway on the way to work, it all ran fine, then got into the offramp stopping at the stoplight, engine shudders and slowly dies. Turns out Fuel pump lost pressure and died after 200k miles, got it towed to the shop where they dropped the fuel tank to replace the pump. Few months later got rear ended on the highway by a honda driver who fell asleep. Totalled so I got the money from his insurance and got rid of it. I have since bought my 2017 Mazda CX-9. :)

Replacing fuel pump... expect to pay more for labor. :(

Ouch! Yeah, the same car mentioned earlier was eating through fuel filters. Told the BF he's probably got a rusty gas tank. Took it to his mechanic, sure enough it was. He had to replace the filter again, the tank, and the pump because they said it was likely to die shortly after, I guess it looked so bad. I remember that was a big ouch on the pocket. That was also a year or two ago now.

I can't justify being in debt for years for a brand new car, but I'll float a few years behind everyone. It's always cheaper and easier when you do the maintenance and work yourself, and if I'm driving 5-15 year old cars it's not too bad. The car I mentioned earlier is a 97 Crown Vic. For 21 years old it still runs like a champ though. And alternators can die on anything, so I can't really blame that on the car. The thing is nothing short of a tank lol

This was the first time it's left us stranded, but... Just trying to hold on until spring next year and that car is going to get retired. The joys of cars! Lol

I'm happy for you about the Mazda, though! I just had to Google it, I mixed it up with RX. I'm not to familiar with Mazda. :P But that's awesome that everything worked out for you! It's always a fun when you get a new toy. :)

(Edit: After posting, I realized I rambled again... Sorry! :( )

Wow! My Hubby has a 2006 Jeep Commander, and he's from Michigan, so he's familiar with Detroit. :lol:

Broken down cars in sketchy neighborhoods is no fun. Glad you got out OK. :)
Ha! How funny he has the same Jeep and from the same area. How does he like it? Everything I've read so far says they're good, sturdy vehicles.

I was moments away from panic attack, but we're safe. Thank you so much! :) It was scary at the time, but looking back I can laugh, so I figure might as well share the humor. :P

Yikes rust is never good for cars. :( My Ford was about to hit 20 years old, only been towed a couple of times. Always takes me to places I need to go. I thought about buying new Explorer but it's more expensive so I researched other good cars out there and Mazda is great cars and cheaper than Ford. My stepmother have 2016 CX-5 and racked up over 50k miles, she has a long commute plus family farm 3 hours away.

Hopefully you won't get stranded again in the future. :)

Yikes rust is never good for cars. :( My Ford was about to hit 20 years old, only been towed a couple of times. Always takes me to places I need to go. I thought about buying new Explorer but it's more expensive so I researched other good cars out there and Mazda is great cars and cheaper than Ford. My stepmother have 2016 CX-5 and racked up over 50k miles, she has a long commute plus family farm 3 hours away.

Hopefully you won't get stranded again in the future. :)

A lot of people are all about American, but... I worked at GM and all I touched was Chinese parts! I almost got a Miata or M6, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I got a Mitsubishi instead. Turns out, it was built in Illinois, but the GM Union threw a fit and wouldn't let me park it at work. *sigh*

Sounds like they're working out good for your grandma and now you, so if it runs that's all that should matter.

Thanks. Gonna be awhile before I go anywhere near Detroit again! Lol

Does not sound like a fun day! I have had days like that. Where nothing can go right! Glad you made it home safe.

I can't justify being in debt for years for a brand new car, but I'll float a few years behind everyone. It's always cheaper and easier when you do the maintenance and work yourself, and if I'm driving 5-15 year old cars it's not too bad. The car I mentioned earlier is a 97 Crown Vic. For 21 years old it still runs like a champ though. And alternators can die on anything, so I can't really blame that on the car. The thing is nothing short of a tank lol

I have told this in the past but seeing the new people gives me the urge to tell it again.

I understand having a dependable car being more important and which year it is. At 75 I am probably the age of some members grandmothers. But the point is that when I was growing up in the 1940's - 1950's my dad sold Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC trucks. Every year they would get new demonstrators with the owner driving Cadillac, another guy had a Buick and dad an Olds. We got to use the demonstrator as the family car and depending on how many people wanted to buy Dad's demonstrator rather than a different one from stock or order exactly what they wanted we got the use of as many as 3 new 88 Oldsmobiles in a model year. There were times when the last thing Dad had shown in the evening was the Cadillac so we got to use that some.The other side of that was at the end of the model year if all the currant model had been sold before the new ones came out it could result in driving a used car of any age and make. I regard it as a blessing that I learned to drive on all those different cars (they didn't have any truck demonstrators).

So with that experience in my background I am not really concerned about the model year of what I drive. In fact, when a partnership I was in was sold I bought a 2 bedroom house in contrast to one of the guys that bought a loaded Pontiac. The Pontiac is long gone and I still live in the house!

I only drive cars that are 10years or better old. Current is a 1982 Toyota 4x4pick up
And I can fix anything that goes wrong with it and that’s not very often and today
We’re going to playin the snow with it

. . .
Ha! How funny he has the same Jeep and from the same area. How does he like it? Everything I've read so far says they're good, sturdy vehicles.

I was moments away from panic attack, but we're safe. Thank you so much! :) It was scary at the time, but looking back I can laugh, so I figure might as well share the humor. :P
He likes the Jeep, and it's still our primary vehicle. He uses it with a large utility trailer, our pop-up camper, or a carrying rack on the hitch. We also use it for all our travel and local driving. Everything. :)

Back