What's a good HA for severe loss nowadays?

I'm not going to Costco. Honestly, I'm not sure where I'm going. We got this deal with our insurance for a TruHearing membership to complement what coverage we have. I know they've got about 5 audiologists in our area, but it doesn't show who they actually are. I have to call this week and set the appt. thru TruHearing. I'm also going to try to figure out what company does their private label. Anyone know?

The first pair of HAs I had were BTEs. All I remember is these people did home visits. I was 17 at the time and that was a long, LONG time ago. And ohmigosh, I get the part about "chunky". I had sores on the tops of my ears from those things!

I'm not going to Costco. Honestly, I'm not sure where I'm going. We got this deal with our insurance for a TruHearing membership to complement what coverage we have. I know they've got about 5 audiologists in our area, but it doesn't show who they actually are. I have to call this week and set the appt. thru TruHearing. I'm also going to try to figure out what company does their private label. Anyone know?

The first pair of HAs I had were BTEs. All I remember is these people did home visits. I was 17 at the time and that was a long, LONG time ago. And ohmigosh, I get the part about "chunky". I had sores on the tops of my ears from those things!

It's not like that anymore...the home visits or the hearing aids. You'll have your work cut out for you so take your time. Keep a list of all the things that are important to you and financial considerations so you can bring this up when you sit down with someone.

They are noooo way chunky now BTE hearing aids, even the ultra power hearing aids are tiny now and some are really reallly reallly smallll! You'll need to see an audiologist and get more up to date with things. I personally would go with BTE or RITE hearing aids as they are so much more robust, then ITE hearing aids.

They are noooo way chunky now BTE hearing aids, even the ultra power hearing aids are tiny now and some are really reallly reallly smallll! You'll need to see an audiologist and get more up to date with things. I personally would go with BTE or RITE hearing aids as they are so much more robust, then ITE hearing aids.

I was told the very small HA where not strong enough for me. A HA company made the really small HA that come in all colors and animal prints for first time HA wearing. The company was hoping to make a lot of $$$ off the baby boomers as they get older. My last audiologist show me one of the new tiny BTE HA , I really liked it but it was not right for my hearing lost.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/modern-technology/hearing-aid6.htm

I found the prefect HA for the OP! LOL!

I was told the very small HA where not strong enough for me. A HA company made the really small HA that come in all colors and animal prints for first time HA wearing. The company was hoping to make a lot of $$$ off the baby boomers as they get older. My last audiologist show me one of the new tiny BTE HA , I really liked it but it was not right for my hearing lost.

Discovery Health "Hearing Aid History"

I found the prefect HA for the OP! LOL!

The super tiny BTE hearing aids are no good for me as well but I'm always amazed when I go visit my audiologist, just how tiny they are. He has some placed on his Work top next to the software / laptop equipment so I get to see them every time I enter into his room.

Yeah ,it was a fake peal necklace and it was ugly looking! I was only a child and was not going to school with that on.
A picture of the Hal Hen hearing aid necklace.

w02mw0.jpg

Wow, thanks Botts. Nice to see a visual of it.

Edit: I pictured something a bit different. I didn't even know something like that existed until it was first mentioned.

Last edited:
Naidas are great nowadays!
Like whatdidyasay, I'm wearing a Safari at the moment lol ;)
(went cuckoo for the Sensei that Oticon had recently released but I'll have better luck since my hearing loss is tricky due to flucuation!)

So, I went to the audiologist this morning. Actually, I was kinda' surprised at the results. I'm *almost* to the the severe hearing loss cutoff, but it's still moderate. Honestly, thought I had degraded more than that. I was right on the line with the sound adjustments, 80 db was comfortable for me. I scored a 60% on the speech comprehension. That was sooo frustrating. I was like this is no fair, I want video! But, anyway ... haha.

I ended up with Phonak Naida S III. And a ComPilot or something to that effect. Like I'm gonna' wear that thing around my neck? NOT. I'll figure it out.

Think I get them in about 10 days.

Glad things went well.

I've got the Phonak Naida S III UPs as back up and love them. Part of me realises that they sound better then my Phonak Naida S V UPs which should sound better as they have more features :)

I got them yesterday. I'm adjusting. Oh boy.

I kinda' like the ComPilot, but I had it under my shirt most of the time. Which, of course, renders it useless for phone calls. Most people text me anyway, so no big deal.

Feels like my left ear is "stuffy" so we may have to work on that a little more. The audiologist did a little adjusting on it yesterday.

Driving nearly sent me through the roof. I think I was hearing the tires or something? I'm going to have to have a sound interpreter with me!

I'm hoping that my application for early upgrade funding from govt will come thru and I'll get upgraded to Phonak Naida ultra power from my shitty Oticon Sumo DM for my right ear. I want to be able to hear more and more, but the problem is that I have a huge expanse of dead regions of hearing in that ear.
I'm going to be trying frequency compression so that all the input sound goes through the frequency regions where I still have some hearing. Could someone with experience of frequency compression share their stories about it? Ta.

I'm hoping that my application for early upgrade funding from govt will come thru and I'll get upgraded to Phonak Naida ultra power from my shitty Oticon Sumo DM for my right ear. I want to be able to hear more and more, but the problem is that I have a huge expanse of dead regions of hearing in that ear.
I'm going to be trying frequency compression so that all the input sound goes through the frequency regions where I still have some hearing. Could someone with experience of frequency compression share their stories about it? Ta.

I had Phonak Superfront hearing aids before my Phonak Naida UP and I can hear A LOT more with the Phonak Naida UP because of the sound recover feature. I love it :)

So, I went to the audiologist this morning. Actually, I was kinda' surprised at the results. I'm *almost* to the the severe hearing loss cutoff, but it's still moderate. Honestly, thought I had degraded more than that. I was right on the line with the sound adjustments, 80 db was comfortable for me. I scored a 60% on the speech comprehension. That was sooo frustrating. I was like this is no fair, I want video! But, anyway ... haha.

I ended up with Phonak Naida S III. And a ComPilot or something to that effect. Like I'm gonna' wear that thing around my neck? NOT. I'll figure it out.

Think I get them in about 10 days.

awesome!!!! have fun with your Naida S :)
(I might look into the Naidas when I may upgrade soon in January!) *I'll go Rexton if I had better luck lol*

cool fact: Rexton is the same as Siemens and I grew up with Siemens as a little girl

Goodness. What a day. My left ear is SORE. I think the earmold on that ear was a little crooked, so I've tried to straighten it out a little. Also, it seems like the sound isn't getting through the left ear as well as the right. Half of what I'm hearing is jibberish I'm guessing due to my auditory processing issues. The GOOD news is I can hear speech a whole lot better. I still could not get them out fast enough when I got home this evening.

Does anyone know how long a size 13 battery will last?

Goodness. What a day. My left ear is SORE. I think the earmold on that ear was a little crooked, so I've tried to straighten it out a little. Also, it seems like the sound isn't getting through the left ear as well as the right. Half of what I'm hearing is jibberish I'm guessing due to my auditory processing issues. The GOOD news is I can hear speech a whole lot better. I still could not get them out fast enough when I got home this evening.

Does anyone know how long a size 13 battery will last?

The Naida S III SPs which take size 13 batteries will last roughly 6 to 10 days depending on settings. (A lot of my friends have the SPs and that's what they have said)

The Naida S III UPs which take size 675 batteries will last roughly 2 to 3 weeks depending on settings.

I got them yesterday. I'm adjusting. Oh boy.

I kinda' like the ComPilot, but I had it under my shirt most of the time. Which, of course, renders it useless for phone calls. Most people text me anyway, so no big deal.

Feels like my left ear is "stuffy" so we may have to work on that a little more. The audiologist did a little adjusting on it yesterday.

Driving nearly sent me through the roof. I think I was hearing the tires or something? I'm going to have to have a sound interpreter with me!

Would a vent work for your left ear so it doesn't feel stuffed up?

Phonak Naidas have a lot to them and most people do need quite a few adjustments :)

@Chevfan
If you wear ComPilot under your shirt you may consider to use the external microphone MC1, ArtNr. 057-0115.
Michael

Back