What to say if a hearing person says that somebody is faking deafness?

Do you sign? And do you associate with others who sign? That might change your perspective about how "limiting" it is.
I do not. though I certainly considered learning. As a C5-7 level quad my hands do not work well. Even the better hand is limited enough to make learning extremely frustrating. I do not doubt a few signers would be able to "get" much of my meaning but they might experience about the same frustration hearing people experience with me.:dunno:

If you move on to think it might still be worthwhile in the long run... I would agree if I thought I had lots of years ahead of me. :dunno2: So many reasons for me to focus on chocolate!

Some hearing people told me that I can hear well, but I told them - no, I'm totally deafness since I was born, so not much difference when sighted people thinks that blind people can see, so it is more of low vision with some sights, so deafness and blindness have own degree of severity.

The question about "reading lips' and the soundless mouth movements get me pissed..

I have been deaf for nearly 40 years...I never met anyone that truly reads lips....I never even met anyone that demonstrated reading lips..Do these people exist?

I have been to Audiologists, ENTs, I went through numerous surgeries...No medical professional ever indicated to me "Oh yeah, I have a patient that reads lips"..

I hear this stuff about the FBI has lip readers...Really... I never read about them testifying in court (?).

I saw a link here somewhere from which I downloaded a sheet of common lip movements for various letter combinations...But all of them seemed too similar to so many others..So, I do not see how lip reading is REALLY possible.

So I guess next time someone asks us if we read lips we should say "Oh yeah, but only in the daylight"..."Only
on sunny days"..."Only for money"..." As a matter of fact I do, and I know everything you're saying"",,,And maybe a few other choice responses...
**(I edited this, as the original was not so appropriate)

I can read lips pretty well, ONLY if they face me and talk plainly! With slurs, deep accents, mustache with a beard, or talking too fast, or in a place where it's really loud... FORGET IT!!! I am not going to be able to understand them. And another thing... When I used to work for Lillian Vernon ( a factory company) years ago, I had some deaf friends who worked there, a hearing friend of mine ( who is no longer a friend) asked me... why do you sign when you can talk.... HELLOOOOOO THEY ARE DEAF!!!!! I swear some people can be really stupid sometimes. :slap:

Not the best thing you could hear from hearing people of course, just be tolerant and tell them how you can read lips and understand I guess.

Not the best thing you could hear from hearing people of course, just be tolerant and tell them how you can read lips and understand I guess.
I have told them several times, its seems they are the ones that are deaf, its like it goes one ear to the other. *sighs*. but they doesnt explain why they think I should NOT sigh to deafies. DO they really think if I start talking to them "THEY " will understand? Do they know that deaf people exist? lol. Its like one person siad on here. Deafness is one of those disabilities that people cannot see, nor understand. :hmm:

Do you sign? And do you associate with others who sign? That might change your perspective about how "limiting" it is.

Other people that sign have to exist where you are for you to associate with them. I am in a small town where it has been so many years since I saw anyone sign that I don't know even close to what year it was.

I tried taking a class two different times and made no contacts to really use it!

It happened to me many times as I do speak well...lip-read too...but for those who still are in denial that I'm deaf?...Saying..."oh, she can hear!"...I pulled my hair back and said..."take a look inside my ears"...lots of scars, surgeries too..very big holes I have...that's why I keep my ears covered up with my hair. A HA won't help, and a cochlear implant?,,,Not eligible...too many surgeries and infections.

Other people that sign have to exist where you are for you to associate with them. I am in a small town where it has been so many years since I saw anyone sign that I don't know even close to what year it was.

I tried taking a class two different times and made no contacts to really use it!

Same here. I started learning to sign in my early twenties. Had no one around to sign with, and over time pretty much forgot it all. Now I have to try and read lips, but that is not as easy everyone thinks. If I don't know the context of what someone is talking about and the topic then I'm lost. It's a puzzle even if I have a clue. Eventually, if I can't grasp what they're going on about I just say, "write it down or I'm out" I won't waste time struggling to read someone's lips if they can't take the time to understand what being deaf means.

Same here. I started learning to sign in my early twenties. Had no one around to sign with, and over time pretty much forgot it all. Now I have to try and read lips, but that is not as easy everyone thinks. If I don't know the context of what someone is talking about and the topic then I'm lost. It's a puzzle even if I have a clue. Eventually, if I can't grasp what they're going on about I just say, "write it down or I'm out" I won't waste time struggling to read someone's lips if they can't take the time to understand what being deaf means.
Some hearing people just dont take the time. Only a rare gem that will be willing to take teh time.

I can read lips pretty well, ONLY if they face me and talk plainly! With slurs, deep accents, mustache with a beard, or talking too fast, or in a place where it's really loud... FORGET IT!!! I am not going to be able to understand them. And another thing... When I used to work for Lillian Vernon ( a factory company) years ago, I had some deaf friends who worked there, a hearing friend of mine ( who is no longer a friend) asked me... why do you sign when you can talk.... HELLOOOOOO THEY ARE DEAF!!!!! I swear some people can be really stupid sometimes. :slap:

That's pretty incredible if you can read lips...I stare at lips when people talk, and some doctors tell me "Yes, you are reading lips"...But I'm not...I am only focusing (like staring at a radio trying to hear).

I've heard that even the very best "lip readers" can only achieve 40% accuracy and that it should be called "lip guessing" instead.

That is a good description...'Lip Guessing"...We should push to make that the national norm for description.

I certainly use visual cues to improve my comprehension. I know I cannot understand anything if I cannot see a person's face, and yet I also cannot understand if I only see, but do not hear anything.

How about this reply to "Do you read lips?"

"Only if they are tattooed."

That is a good reply...LOL

That's pretty incredible if you can read lips...I stare at lips when people talk, and some doctors tell me "Yes, you are reading lips"...But I'm not...I am only focusing (like staring at a radio trying to hear).
That is what I mean... There is no other way of putting it. Its liek Mountain man said.. Lip Guessing. :D

Back