What method/practice/routine did you use to work your way up to "hear"?

Mudkipz

Reaction score
The thread title might need some better rephrasing... :deaf:
This thread is for anyone who have any sort of hearing device that helps them to "hear" at life. It's more like what did you do on the day AFTER you have been "activated"/"turned on" with your hearing device? I know that everyone at least practiced with the hearing device for them to hear better, but what was it?

How do you handle phone calls? I struggle with them and I have to change my hearing "settings" around the phone calls. Whenever I get a phone call from anyone other than my parents, my heart skips a beat and then beats faster than a mouse's!

I'm in a situation where I'm deciding what to practice on lately these days. Phone calls? Closed set of words from sites? Open set of similar sounding words? Or just wait till the "process" goes to me, thus just living on with life? :hmm:

Please share your experiences, suggestions, opinions, etc.! :)

Oh, and I just want to note that if some of you "deafies" are offended by "deafies" using a hearing device like me and think that we trying to "get away" from the "deaf" status, just remember that hearing devices run out of power and boom! we hear nothing. We will always be "deafies" even with a hearing device.

Sorry if my grammar is bit off or that my words aren't "professional" enough for you, but I think my words get the point across. Thanks. :ty:

The thread title might need some better rephrasing... :deaf:
This thread is for anyone who have any sort of hearing device that helps them to "hear" at life. It's more like what did you do on the day AFTER you have been "activated"/"turned on" with your hearing device? I know that everyone at least practiced with the hearing device for them to hear better, but what was it?

Please share your experiences, suggestions, opinions, etc.! :)

Oh, and I just want to note that if some of you "deafies" are offended by "deafies" using a hearing device like me and think that we trying to "get away" from the "deaf" status, just remember that hearing devices run out of power and boom! we hear nothing. We will always be "deafies" even with a hearing device.

Sorry if my grammar is bit off or that my words aren't "professional" enough for you, but I think my words get the point across. Thanks. :ty:

I'm not ready for phones until I can understand television without captioning. I tried many times. I think it helps if you can get people to say difficult vocabulary words to you.. otherwise you'll be lost if you don't recognize the words you hear (because you never heard of it or even know what it means). In my high school they actually had vocabulary class (not requirement, just something students can pick) where every week the students learn a new set of words, meanings, use it in sentences. The students also had to pronounce it at loud and remember how to spell it.

I also listen to captioned radio because it doesn't provide visual aids like televison. Keith Wann is one of it which is good because all sort of accents (interpreters for the deaf speak on the radio). I'm sure there's more out there.

Some people say they use a CD provided by their cochlear companies but I don't use it. Other than that, I just relax about it and don't worry about how to improve my listening skills. I just wear my CI.

Well - I was HOH and had HA's, but now I am total deaf with no amplification. Since I am still verbal, I use a CapTel telephone. It will caption the calls so I can read what is being said and I can speak like usual. I also use a P3 videophone on my computer. I am getting flashers for the doorbell and smoke detector. All of the phones in the house light up when they ring. I personally would have a hard time dealing with things if I did not have my computer. (I know because I have tried already)

I do not think any of us who are deaf will object to anyone using any device designed for the deaf/hoh. In some cases, the flashing strobe lights for doorbells is a good idea for most people since some doorbells are hard to hear all over the house. A lot of hearing people would love a baby monitor that has video. That's not just for deaf/hoh people. If a family has a member that sleeps in the daytime, having vibrating timers and such would be a good idea so you don't wake the person sleeping.

I've gone for some auditory verbal therapy after getting my CI and it has helped. There are also some listening exercises you could do at home with the computer.

Back